Highs and Lows
By berne1 on
2009 Volkswagen Routan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)
Got our S model 10 months ago for the great lease payment. Some nitpicks are our fault (for getting the base model), while others are VW/Chrysler's. The 3.8L is fine for the driving my wife does, which is basically back & forth to kids' school. MPG doesn't really matter when you put as few miles on as we do! Best handling/riding minivan I've driven! Way roomier & more useful than the SUV we turned in. Quality issues include sliders that don't open in temps below 30 degrees, a tire pressure monitor that is constantly on, and some rattles. Over time I've noticed much more suspension noise.
Favorite Features
Ride & handling are superior for a minivan. Sliding doors make kid access a breeze. I love the shifter location on the dash. I just picked up some 4x8 drywall today and fit no problem. Fold- flat 3rd row is awesome.
Suggested Improvements
Offer interior besides gray on the S model. Ditch the old-school mast antenna for in-glass. Multi-spoke wheels difficult to clean. For some reason mine has DRLs and factory people have no desire to help me disable them. Digital odometer & warning graphics look cheap and straight from the '80s.