Made it Okay to Drive a Mini-Van
By boilerup on
2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)
I kept resisting a mini-van, but with 3 young kids it became a must have. I was hesitant to get the Routan because of the 're-badged' Chrysler persona and just it being the first model year. However, I've been very impressed so far. My wife and I have owned 6 VW's and we can definitely say it has that VW feel and drive to it. It is a dream to drive versus our other car, a Honda Pilot. We also checked out the Odyssey, but it just didn't have a good driving feel to it and suffers the usual interior rattling we've had on all of our Hondas. So I'm glad we went with the Routan. It definitely has more VW to it than I expected.
Favorite Features
VW styling - front and back exterior modified vs T&C. Same for interior - Euro leather and VW's red/blue lighting (it's not on all, but a decent portion of interior lighting). The dual DVD system rocks. Also like the self leveling suspension to keep weight evenly distributed (handy on family trips).
Suggested Improvements
The front console is practical, but flimsy and cheap (from T&C). Would prefer a VW instrument cluster (vs T&C). Not unique to VW, but found out that all 09 cars require slanted head rests that can't be removed. Ironically, this is for safety, yet makes installing a fwd facing car seat very difficult