Awesome for what it is
By cfeigenbutz on
2009 Volkswagen Routan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)
There have been many complaints about this being a rebadged Chrysler. For what it is, the Routan is outstanding. There is no way to get a Wolfsburg designed and built minivan to the U.S. in this price range. VW is trying to capture the market for their customers who already have a VW and need a family hauler. We have a Jetta, and needed more room for our growing family. While every aspect of it may not be "German Engineered," it surely is "German Inspired." The ride is great, the layout inside is well though out (we have a bench instead of the captain's chairs for the 2nd row, much more convenient in my opinion). Would definitely recommend.
Favorite Features
The ride. For a van, it handles very well. Very quiet inside. Handles bumps well. Braking is amazing. Easy to get little ones in and out of. I don't feel as silly driving this as I would a Honda or Toyota.
Suggested Improvements
Put the DSG transmission in, the Chrysler one is twitchy. While VW did redesign the inside, I wish they went a little further. (Add blue and red gauges). Other than that, it is excellent.