2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:
Converted from the Honda Odyssey
By mspmn on 06/11/09 11:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I've been an Odyssey driver for the last 5 years. When my lease was about to end I though I would lease yet another. But after checking out the Routan, I made the change. Sure it's a redesigned Chrysler, but you literally have to see and drive it to believe it. Dollar for Dollar, you get SO much more with this vehicle. Toss in the 0% financing and the $1000 conquest rebate (for converting from a Honda) and the other cash-back programs and it's a smarter use of your dollar.

Style, room and features! Get the Routan
By Sammie on 06/04/09 10:42 AM (PDT)

I think most professional car reviewers forget that most people who buy a minivan want features, space and comfort. The Routan has it all and it looks better than its Chrysler cousins both inside and out. Drives better too. The second row seats may not have the flexibility of the T&C but they have more comfort and the storage is still there which is the biggest selling point for me. I do wish the second row seats could be adjusted forward and aft but my boys (the third row occupants) are happy their sister can no longer squish their legs. I drove just about every minivan on the market and the Routan had the best mix of looks, comfort and features. Cheaper than the T&C and Odyssey too.

Just..great
By fabio on 05/29/09 17:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I get 400 miles already..its my first new car and Im so happy with mine..I get 2 kids and my mother..all of them cant be happier with our van..every thing is great..roomy..softh..strong..cool..good price..all the toys..blue tooth..sattelite radio..2 tv screens plus 1 radio/video screen..30gb hard disc..compatible with ipod..power doors..power seats..every thing..good cuality materials...what else u wants ?

My new ROUTAN
By Routan on 05/28/09 06:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This was a great purchase, its the first care I purchase in a while since I have been leasing. I never thought I would say this about a minivan but after drinving it I have to say that it is fun to drive this mini-van. Lots of room for the kids and adults. Need to get screens for dvd, hope they make it standard on higher sel model, but even without it the kids love it. My wife never thought she would drive a mini-van, but she loves our routan. Would highly recommend it for a family. Go with the 4.0l v6 as I felt the 3.8 was quite weak for my standards, but the 4.0 got a kick to it, make sure u drive both to tell the difference.

Outstanding Mini-van
By JPT on 05/13/09 13:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Although there are many poor reviews of the Routan out there in cyberspace, most are written by folks who either haven't driven or don't own one. It is a great van, and drives nothing like the Town & Country. This is our first mini-van and have nothing but great things to say about it. It is superbly comfortable, quiet, and for the money (compared to Honda/Toyota) it comes well equipt. On a recent 1000 trip, it averaged 25.2 mpg (running ~70mph), which is impressive for a 4000+lb vehicle. It's future remains uncertain (Chrylser in Chapther 11, talk of not producing more Routans) this is a top notch van and I would highly recommend it.

Hidden gem - best deal on the market
By Richard on 05/11/09 19:01 PM (PDT)

This is a great car. With twins on the way, we knew it was minivan time and dutifully test drove the Sienna and Odyssey. We looked at the Routan initially as an afterthought, but my wife was sold within minutes. The designers really understand how families will use this car, while the options and price VW crushed the competition. And, I have to admit, the car is fun to drive. the 4.0 v6 is powerful, I love the handling, the family is comfortable and, with the entertainment system, occasionally entertained on long drives. The nav system is terrific and the dashboard elegant and useful, particularly at night. I was a lifelong Toyota buyer, but not anymore.

The Best One
By Thegooddriver on 05/11/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have test-driven and researched different minivans for months before buying one and when I decided to, the Routan came out. At first, I was hesitant for it's a Chrysler-made minivan. I test-drove it and find it to be much better and the best for many reasons: it runs very smoothly, the suspensions absorb rough and uneven surfaces on HWYs very well and road noise isn't noticeable at all compared to the Odyssey. It also looks more sophisticated than other minivans. It definitely feels VW. Maybe, with VW and Chrysler combined, you can't go wrong, especially in this century. People nowadays rarely keep their cars for decades, so if for any reason this vehicle won't last, I won't worry.

The best minivan in the next few years
By Thegooddriver on 05/08/09 14:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I researched for months before buying a Minivan and when I decided to, the VW Routan came out. Months prior, I have test-driven other minivans, but most have issues with either road noise/breaks or rattling. Then, I test- drove the Routan; I was impressed for it is very smooth, very quiet and does not produce road noise. The VW suspensions also absorb rough and uneven surfaces very well. I've been advised to go for the Japanese minivans, which are reliable. Well, they are, but I'd rather deal with thinking how long the Routan will last than dealing with road noise and rattling that will surely distract me every time I drive. With VW and Chrysler combined, it must be somethingÂ…

From Odyssey to Routan - Great Decision!
By JB on 05/04/09 11:03 AM (PDT)

We traded our 06 Honda Odyssey for a 09 Routan (SEL w/ RSE) and I LOVE my Routan. It is so much smoother and quieter than my Odyssey. I love the get-up and go it offers. The seats are extremely comfortable, and I love the extra features we were able to get that aren't offered by the Honda. With all of the incentives VW is offering right now, we were able to get an amazing price for an amazing vehicle. It is truly my favorite vehicle that I've ever owned.

Routan is the best van out there!
By Kris* on 05/01/09 00:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

It drives like a solid car, more like a luxury car - very well made. And so i often forget it's van. A brand new design and German engineering shows everywhere, leaving odyssey and sienna out in the dust.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan in VA is:

$130 per month*