Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Routan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

run away as fast as you can!
By disappointed

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a new 2009 Routon S. Nothing but problems! Headlamp held water, bumper cover started coming- off, trans seal leak, engine compartment rattle, stock ventshades would not stick to the windows, 2 window motors, all of this within 9 months. Bob King VW did not apparently know how to do a proper trns service, which led to the rattle. Took a tech from Charlotte to figure it out! No trans dipstick and the dealer and VW district rep would not order one when asked, even said I would pay for it! Be prepared for pure frustration with the vehicle, dealer, and VW of America. Also be prepared to hire an attorney, as VW of America is a useless car co. Avoid VW and Chrysler at all costs.

Favorite Features

good headlamps for seeing the road at night, when they do not have water in them, good brakes, good standard CD player.

Suggested Improvements

The parts and workmanship are substandard. There is no hope for this vehicle.

We vowed never to get a minivan...
By peninroutan

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

...but we gave in after we had our third child. We looked at the Odyssey and Sienna, but these were ubiquitous and not very interesting to us. The Routan? Looks good, drives well with its stiffer VW suspension, and has huge amounts of space. We know its essentially a Chrysler, but the interior has enough VW feel to be fun. The dual-electric doors are great (Toyota Siennas seemed to offer only one electric door on some models). The exterior has strong lines. Will have to follow up later with a detailed review of reliability. Basically, its a minivan for those who promised they would never get one. As a guy, I'm OK being seen driving it, which is worth a lot.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, dual electric doors, sunroof, black dash switches, electric fold-down rear seats, sliding door windows can be rolled down.

Suggested Improvements

Mast antenna is outdated and vulnerable to breakage. Backup sensors should be standard for a car this size. Middle-row seats should adjust forward.

Highs and Lows
By berne1

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Got our S model 10 months ago for the great lease payment. Some nitpicks are our fault (for getting the base model), while others are VW/Chrysler's. The 3.8L is fine for the driving my wife does, which is basically back & forth to kids' school. MPG doesn't really matter when you put as few miles on as we do! Best handling/riding minivan I've driven! Way roomier & more useful than the SUV we turned in. Quality issues include sliders that don't open in temps below 30 degrees, a tire pressure monitor that is constantly on, and some rattles. Over time I've noticed much more suspension noise.

Favorite Features

Ride & handling are superior for a minivan. Sliding doors make kid access a breeze. I love the shifter location on the dash. I just picked up some 4x8 drywall today and fit no problem. Fold- flat 3rd row is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Offer interior besides gray on the S model. Ditch the old-school mast antenna for in-glass. Multi-spoke wheels difficult to clean. For some reason mine has DRLs and factory people have no desire to help me disable them. Digital odometer & warning graphics look cheap and straight from the '80s.

Check this van out!
By Jay

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Love this van. My wife was very hesitant to purchase another minivan after owning a Sienna, but feels fortunate we did.

Favorite Features

The dvd and blue tooth system really set this car apart from the Sienna and Odyssey.

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint is that the climate controls can be a little confusing.

Been Great
By TheGoodDriver

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is a follow-up from my previous review a yr ago. So far, everything's been great about this vehicle and it now has 15,500 miles, with no electrical/mechanical issues. The Routan's interior is the nicest of all minivans I've test-driven. Best of all, the ride comfort and quietness give me and my family a peace of mind, and I learned how very important it is to be able to carry a normal conversation on a long trip, which you cannot do if you're in other popular (for no real reason) minivans that produce wind/road noise. Chrysler's done an awesome job for the Routan and the VW's suspension's just ingenious— makes it a luxury minivan, not an average utility vehicle for a family.

Favorite Features

Unique dash, comfortable seats and LED dome lights.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger engine for SE model.