Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Not bad, but a few glitches
By ontheroadagain

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

It is a very comfortable ride. The 3rd row folds flat giving enough room for a family's week worth of luggage and a 100 lb dog with extra space left over. Mechanically, we had moisture buildup inside one of the headlights. That took an entire day for the dealership to fix and they only do it during the week. The sliding doors randomly decide when they want to close. Of course, this never happens at the dealer. We don't get notices about recalls. We find out when we take it for oil changes. So far, we are at 5 total. These surprise "campaigns", as VW calls them, add unexpected time at the dealership - and extra trips when the parts arrive.

Rear entertainment system. Fold flat rear seats. Comfortable ride. Heated seats.

Do not buy a routan - big mistake!
By Omid

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Unless you want to spend a lot of time at the VW service dept, do not buy this minivan. We bought new 9 months ago and it has been serviced numerous times for same malfunctions: electrical, brake rotors, sensor failure, seats getting stuck, steering wheel vibration, and most importantly safety issues which VW and the dealership fail to recognize. The electric sliding door pinned our 2 year old son and the sensors failed to re-open the door. Others have experienced the same issue and yet VW keeps saying the doors are safe and the sensors work fine. Also, no alarm sounds if the doors are open and the car is in motion. This is quite unbelievable from a German manufacturer!

Exterior looks

Fix defective sensors in sliding doors; insert alarm device if door is open while in motion; fix defective brake rotors; fix steering wheel vibration; fix seats so they quit getting stuck; fix electrical so Windows operate and don't get stuck

So-So Van
By Russ

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Love the ride. The shifting from first gear is awkward at best. In town gas mileage weak. 2nd row seats are locked in place which limits leg room. Also miss the stow-n-go of my GC. Ceiling is low, I tend to bump my head getting over the cup of the seats. Have had several problems from brakes to sliding doors. So far not impressed with maintenance at the dealership. They seem to be disorganized and compartmentalized. VW needs to rethink their plans for this vehicle. Either get in without Chrysler, or get out.

Exterior start. Power lift gate and good pep.

Fix the shift problem, make it easier to get into.

My wife and I love this minivan!
By Laine Adrian

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We looked and looked for 3 months prior to settling with the VW. I am a German car fanatic and had only owned Mercedes and VWs in my recent past. My wife was more open so we looked at the different brands. The need for a minivan came apparent when our second child arrived and between two child seats and all the "stuff" that you need, our sedan had been outgrown. The Routan felt more comfortable, more powerful, my wife really likes the amenities that it has and how it handles. VW, Honda and Toyota models do compete however, the VW takes the title for looks, comfort, performance and style. I've seen cites comparing the Routan with Kia and honestly, they aren't even in the same league.

Leather is plush, seats comfy, the navigation/media center is awesome. Performance is also great, less than 9 seconds 0-60 in a minivan! I'll be honest, I take it grocery shopping when it's my turn and do it with a smile, I don't feel like I've lost my German machine bond, this is a superb van.

The Routan came with Bridgestone Turanza tires which are not a good match for the 4.0 L engine. My wife (not I) makes them screech often. I wish I had paid attention to the tires prior to delivery to have them exchanged. It is only a minor complaint from a Michelin man.

Worst invesment ever
By mojo

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have 28,000k on my routan and I already changed brakes 2 times, stereo, and front end. I have problem with the transmission the sliding doors and the engine is burning oil. The dealer keeps ignoring me and delaying the repair process. They even denied it is burning oil until I took it to them and asked them to check it for and they came to tell me it is fine so I took it to a mechanic and he confirmed it is burning oil then they said the engine breather is. I cannot sell it or trade it because its value sunk in the ground especially when they stopped making it.