2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:
follow up, not as nice as I thought..
By nich617 on 09/22/09 14:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I wrote a review shortly after purchasing this van. While I still like it, I am very disappointed that we have to get ALL seven seats replaced because they are all tearing at the seam...even on some of the seats we don't sit on! First the passenger seat went and they replaced that seat. We went back to the dealership (not the dealer we purchased from - I am sure we would've gotten better service from them but they are much farther away) 2 months ago to show them the rest of our seats. We are still "waiting" for the parts to come in. I hope this doesn't happen to everyone else...

It lets you keep your masculinity
By willida on 09/18/09 14:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love my Routan SEL. The ride and the steering feel different enough to get you excited. It's not a Ferrari, but at least it doesn't drive and look like a Mommy wagon. The power doors are a godsend. So are the wireless headphones. The only drawback in my case is that they supply 2 headphones but I have 3 kids. I also like the 3-zone automatic A/C. The 4.0L gets the best gas mileage of all mini-vans sold in America, according to the EPA. I'm not seeing that kind of gas mileage yet, but the engine only has 950 miles on it, and most of our driving has been less than 10 miles at a time.

Excited
By Tommy on 09/15/09 19:43 PM (PDT)

We just picked up our Routan and we couldn't be happier! There is NO CHOICE in my opinion when shopping for a minivan in this market. The alternatives are aged, bland and BORING. If you want exclusivity - get a Routan. It's gorgeous, handles superbly for a minivan, loaded with what you need, oozes techno gadgetry, reasonable price and 0% financing. For us it was an easy choice. The tough part was choosing a color.

From Odyssey to Routan
By newvwfan on 09/13/09 19:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We previously had a 07 Odyssey. We got the 09 Routan for the 0% financing, but have been blown away with how much we like it over the Honda. Driving down the road, it is far quieter. The drive feel is awesome, they nailed the suspension. This is a small thing, but the buttons for everything are in the right places, easy to find and use in comparison. We started out with a Voyager, Montana, Uplander, Odyssey, now Routan. The only negative thing I can find in reviews is that people resent that its a partnership with Chrysler and not pure VW. Get over it, this is an awesome minivan.

The "I'll never drive a minivan" Minivan
By Abby on 09/08/09 14:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I swore I'd never drive a minivan. Hate the way they look, hate the big size, hate the soccer mom stereotype. But then I met the Routan. It drives like a dream and was worth overcoming my hangups. Hubby says he feels like he's floating (tho only the SEL has the bigger engine). It is as beautiful as a minivan can get. Seats are very comfortable, handling is precise and nimble, and the VW styling is quite nice. Great cargo hold behind front seats; easy bluetooth with Uconnect; nice tailgate seats in back; plenty of cupholders, electric outlets, storage. I really wanted the RSE for the kids, but we couldn't afford it. Instead I bought 2 tablet style dvd players with headrest clamps. Perfect.

1st time van owner
By matt on 09/04/09 05:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have never owned a minivan and was suspect to performance. We have owned this for about a month and love it. Took it on a road trip over a weekend, put about 1000 miles on it and it felt great. Extremely comfortable, and instruments easy to use. Nav system is a must with interactive traffic redirection. Am getting about 15 mpg in the city and 25 on the highway.We have had to bring in for service once as condensation was building inside the headlight assembly. The transmission is smooth, but with 6 speeds the gear ratio makes for a lot of shifting.

The Good and The Bad!
By thayes82 on 08/31/09 10:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Routan for exactly 30 days. On day 28 I was traveling with a friend and 5 kids. The transmission acted up and wouldn't go out of first. We were stranded in small town. Mind you my van only had 1050 miles on it. Anyway, the good is VW roadside was Awesome, they picked up the van delivered it to the nearest dealership and are fixing it now. They gave us a rental so I am impressed with VW service. They are replacing the valve body on my van and hopefully there will be no more issues. I love my van and am very hopeful nothing else goes wrong and this was just a fluke!

Needs to be more of a VW
By RAS5 on 08/30/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is a nice van and I am happy with it for the most part. I do wish the two following improvements arte made. 1) needs to be a bit sharper on handling and have a more european ride 2) where is the wonderful 3.0 TDI engine to improve economy?. I bet sales will double if that engine was available.

VW reputation intact
By late74C on 08/27/09 13:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Just purchased my new VW Routan last weekend as part of a cash for clunker deal. Have an SEL w/trim pkg 3 and navi. This will be our 3rd minivan since '90 (a '90 and '97 Dodge Gr Caravan) and so far like this one the best, lot's of little extras, comfy seats, great power and ride. Only rated it an '8' on reliability as we had a 'no-start' situation this past Monday but this is the reason for the review -- VW's roadside assistance arranged a tow to the dealer who handled it quickly -- it turned out to be loose connections in the master fuse panel. We have multiple cars so it was no bother as well as they updated the navi system once a complete check of electrical was done. Great job VW!

Nice Van
By Eric Finn on 08/17/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

Any one who is in the market for a Minivan should consider the Routan. We traded in a 2006 Kia Sedona for our Routan and the Routan is a far superior vehicle. The Kia creaked, rattled and squeaked over every bump, but the Routan is rock solid and quiet. The seats are very comfortable and the highway fuel economy at 25mpg is very good for a van (Kia's best was 22). Our kids love the dual dvd player. VW did a nice job of improving upon the Chrysler van. Interior materials, ride and handling are better. I would recommend spending the extra money and getting the SEL pkg. The 4.0 engine is very strong and the 6 spd auto is buttery smooth.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan in VA is:

$130 per month*