Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Routan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Worst invesment ever
By mojo

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have 28,000k on my routan and I already changed brakes 2 times, stereo, and front end. I have problem with the transmission the sliding doors and the engine is burning oil. The dealer keeps ignoring me and delaying the repair process. They even denied it is burning oil until I took it to them and asked them to check it for and they came to tell me it is fine so I took it to a mechanic and he confirmed it is burning oil then they said the engine breather is. I cannot sell it or trade it because its value sunk in the ground especially when they stopped making it.

Don't buy this car...
By bbaak

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This car is 95% chrysler! First and foremost. If you want a VW, DONT BUY THIS. This is a Chrysler rebadged as a VW. The Only thing VW besides the logo is the suspension. I was told only the frame and the engine....but sorry the whole thing is Chrysler. VW sells 4 different vans in Germany, but now I'm stuck with a car that has lost 30% of it's value in less than one year. IF I knew then what I know now I would leased it at least then I'd be able to mess w/ VW back as they would have to eat MOST of the cost on this car at surrender time. IF you want a routan buy a Town and Country....go to a VW dealer buy logo's and stick them on.....same thing!!!!!!

Favorite Features

Dual DVD players.....THATS IT!

Suggested Improvements

STOP SELLING IT! People go to VW for a reason they don't want a chrysler! WHO BUYS A CAR FROM A BANKRUPT MANUFACTURER AND REBRANDS IT.....THERE'S A REASON THAT CHRYSLER IS/WAS IN BANKRUPTCY!

Up In Flames
By insrtg

My Volkswagon Routan 2009 was serviced back in March 2013 - transmission & power steering. When the service was completed at a VW service center, I picked up the car, drove home the short distance, and parked in my driveway. The next morning while at a traffic light, the car started to go on fire from the engine and eventually burst into flames. Thankfully no one was hurt, but I don't believe it was a coincidence that it happened a few hours since the car was picked up from the service at Legend Audi Volkswagon in Amityville. Aside from that incident, the car had numerous issues throughout the 4 years, i.e. brakes, glitchy doors, glitchy radio, and recalled parts. Terrible car.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Discontinue the Routan immediately

Please contact VW 1-800-822-8987 about your Routan porblems
By walnutcreekvw

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Your Routan is not a lemon. I used to think the same thing until mine shut down while driving...again! VW replaced our control module a couple of years ago, but the van loses power while driving. It's really scary! We had our rotors replaced as well. They still shake. They told us it was from the weight of the vehicle. This van is not safe. I called VW today to start a case. Does a family have to get injured/killed before they resolve this issue? Call VW and start a case so we can have these issues addressed before someone gets hurt.1-800-822-8987

Favorite Features

Looks good on exterior and interior, but it is not a safe vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy. I wish we could return our Routan.

My wife and I love this minivan!
By Laine Adrian

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We looked and looked for 3 months prior to settling with the VW. I am a German car fanatic and had only owned Mercedes and VWs in my recent past. My wife was more open so we looked at the different brands. The need for a minivan came apparent when our second child arrived and between two child seats and all the "stuff" that you need, our sedan had been outgrown. The Routan felt more comfortable, more powerful, my wife really likes the amenities that it has and how it handles. VW, Honda and Toyota models do compete however, the VW takes the title for looks, comfort, performance and style. I've seen cites comparing the Routan with Kia and honestly, they aren't even in the same league.

Favorite Features

Leather is plush, seats comfy, the navigation/media center is awesome. Performance is also great, less than 9 seconds 0-60 in a minivan! I'll be honest, I take it grocery shopping when it's my turn and do it with a smile, I don't feel like I've lost my German machine bond, this is a superb van.

Suggested Improvements

The Routan came with Bridgestone Turanza tires which are not a good match for the 4.0 L engine. My wife (not I) makes them screech often. I wish I had paid attention to the tires prior to delivery to have them exchanged. It is only a minor complaint from a Michelin man.