2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:
run away as fast as you can!
By disappointed on 04/02/10 11:09 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a new 2009 Routon S. Nothing but problems! Headlamp held water, bumper cover started coming- off, trans seal leak, engine compartment rattle, stock ventshades would not stick to the windows, 2 window motors, all of this within 9 months. Bob King VW did not apparently know how to do a proper trns service, which led to the rattle. Took a tech from Charlotte to figure it out! No trans dipstick and the dealer and VW district rep would not order one when asked, even said I would pay for it! Be prepared for pure frustration with the vehicle, dealer, and VW of America. Also be prepared to hire an attorney, as VW of America is a useless car co. Avoid VW and Chrysler at all costs.

We vowed never to get a minivan...
By peninroutan on 03/24/10 13:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

...but we gave in after we had our third child. We looked at the Odyssey and Sienna, but these were ubiquitous and not very interesting to us. The Routan? Looks good, drives well with its stiffer VW suspension, and has huge amounts of space. We know its essentially a Chrysler, but the interior has enough VW feel to be fun. The dual-electric doors are great (Toyota Siennas seemed to offer only one electric door on some models). The exterior has strong lines. Will have to follow up later with a detailed review of reliability. Basically, its a minivan for those who promised they would never get one. As a guy, I'm OK being seen driving it, which is worth a lot.

Highs and Lows
By berne1 on 01/18/10 18:20 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Got our S model 10 months ago for the great lease payment. Some nitpicks are our fault (for getting the base model), while others are VW/Chrysler's. The 3.8L is fine for the driving my wife does, which is basically back & forth to kids' school. MPG doesn't really matter when you put as few miles on as we do! Best handling/riding minivan I've driven! Way roomier & more useful than the SUV we turned in. Quality issues include sliders that don't open in temps below 30 degrees, a tire pressure monitor that is constantly on, and some rattles. Over time I've noticed much more suspension noise.

Check this van out!
By Jay on 01/14/10 09:32 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Love this van. My wife was very hesitant to purchase another minivan after owning a Sienna, but feels fortunate we did.

Been Great
By TheGoodDriver on 01/08/10 10:31 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is a follow-up from my previous review a yr ago. So far, everything's been great about this vehicle and it now has 15,500 miles, with no electrical/mechanical issues. The Routan's interior is the nicest of all minivans I've test-driven. Best of all, the ride comfort and quietness give me and my family a peace of mind, and I learned how very important it is to be able to carry a normal conversation on a long trip, which you cannot do if you're in other popular (for no real reason) minivans that produce wind/road noise. Chrysler's done an awesome job for the Routan and the VW's suspension's just ingenious— makes it a luxury minivan, not an average utility vehicle for a family.

Used Routan
By fq on 01/03/10 16:26 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased routan because my wife did not want a minivan feel. This certainly does not, great suspension, reasonable engine, great technology with dual rear seat entertainment. I wanted the Sienna but my wife did not like the cush drive. The routan is tight but not rough.

like the interior a lot
By korax on 12/19/09 06:39 AM (PST)

We like many of the attributes of our VW Routon SEL. Recently however there has been trouble with the transmission. We again are very happy otherwise, and the repair is covered by the warranty. The kids love the entertainment system and the roominess is fine.

Pleasantly Surprised
By Skeptic on 12/11/09 08:54 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I was skeptical about buying this for all the reason noted in most car reviews but my wife loved it. It has turned out to be a great vehicle with no defects in the fist 4 months and 6,000 miles. Got a great price on it, better than Honda, Toyota or Chrysler. We have owned a VW, Toyota Camery, Infiniti, Audi, Mazda, and Volvo and they all have/had their issues with build quality and mechanical quirks. So far I am pleasantly surprised and for a minivan that we will eventually get trashed by kids this is a great vehicle. Also, the VW dealer was the only one willing to give loner car and free oil service for the life of the warranty. That's cool.

great minivan
By JHudds on 12/07/09 10:42 AM (PST)

I know there are people out there that poo poo the fact that the van is a Chrysler rebadge... Well I can say that this van is a great vehicle. Sure there are some lemons in every line of vehicle. But from what I have seen so far this VW is by far the best minivan out there. It has S P A C E everywhere. Drives like a dream, and is a great family uhaller. We love the styling that VW has done to the van and the suspension is great. It out handles my Pacifica, and WAY better then the Windstar we had before. We got a great deal on this and it qualified for the cash for clunkers! The MPG on the highway is decent, it falters a little in town though. BUt otherwise a great van!

Rough Shifting - VW Needs To Fix!!!!
By pj on 12/02/09 18:31 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I would not buy another because of the shifting issue. The van surges at times when shifting into second gear and downshifting. Reported to VW shortly after driving off the lot - new. NO response from VW NA. They offered to let us trade it for a Touareg but the dealer would not work out a deal that was affordable. In the end we are upset at VW and not thrilled about the sales manager at this site. The van is a nice kid hauler. We plan to keep it for 3 years and then dump it IF VW does not fix the issue.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan in VA is:

$130 per month*