Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Routan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Worst Purchase of my life
By becca

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This minivan is a lemon! Always at the dealership with something wrong. I had it for one year and already had 15,000 dollars worth of warrenty work. The transmission is slipping and the dealership says it is due to one tire being lower than the other? Yet when I explain that I pulled out of a gas station and the van would not shift gears until I pulled over and shut off to get it to shift in gear? Told me that this is a soccer mom van and not good for all the wear in tear of driving a hour each way to work 5 days a week. They also stated I should have purchased the Honda minivan it can stand the driving wear and tear? I wish I could get out of this car! What a lemon!

Suggested Improvements

Quit Making this van!

Routan Rocks
By Kevin

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

*Exterior is beautiful (best looking minivan in my opinion) *Love the features (i.e. stow & go, power windows in rear dual sliders, sunroof, traction control, stability control, and much more) *Interior is improved over the Grand Caravan *Suspension is much better than Grand Caravan (thanks VW)

Favorite Features

Looks, safety features, fun factor (if options are selected carefully)

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

Do not buy a Routan!
By Jweldon

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Never buy one of these cars. A complete waste of money. The vehicle is unsafe and a hazard to your family. One of our children has actually gotten his head trapped in the sliding door b/c they do not work properly, they open and close on their own! VW does not care. We have had the car in for service too many times to count. It is there right now and I do not want to bring it home. I miss my Honda Pilot. This car is a nightmare.

Favorite Features

There is no favorite feature on this car.

Suggested Improvements

Everything. VW, fix this. Put your Routan customers in a safe vehicle and until your problems are resolved, stop selling them, you are putting families at risk.

A fun to drive minivan? Yes!
By martsro

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We've had our Routan for a little over a year and 21K miles later it is still fun to drive. So far we have not had any repairs other than the free scheduled maint. Have had several issues with the automatic doors not wanting to close. Very frustrating!! Factory Bridgestone tires are horrible. Will probably need to be replaced within the next 5K miles. 4.0 V6 has plenty of power. No trouble merging into highway traffic. Fuel economy isn't the greatest in town (16mpg). Average around 19 mpg in combined driving. Averaged 23 mpg on a trip from tx to in. Kids love it. Plenty of storage thanks to the in- floor storage. Tons of cup holders. Third-row seat is a little cramped, ok for kids.

Favorite Features

Comfy seats, fun to drive, styling, free maint. for 36K miles.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires, make the instrument lights match the radio/ac controls, fix the door issues!

A Dodge with VW emblem
By Kfry

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased for cross country trip and move to Hawaii. When the vehicle arrived at the dealership (we ordered it to our specs) we were excited. That didn't last long as the steering pulled left. Dealer tried to fix but unsuccessful and we were stuck with it pulling slightly left (don't take your hands off the wheel!) The drive cross country went well. In Hawaii we started have transmission problems. We took it to the dealer 4 times and had the trans replaced twice. It seems to work now. Horrible gas mileage. How can VW tout this van as one of their products. I have owned 2 other VW and loved them. This was the biggest purchase mistake I have made. If I wanted a Dodge I would have gotten one.

Favorite Features

bought a Dodge. Nav system is nice but the blue tooth acts up all the time. Tried the lemon law but the corp office HQ just gave us the run around; they offered to pay 2 of our monthly payments if we would just go away. I wanted them to take the van back... no dice. Don't buy this van!

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable arm rest on driver's seat. Adjustable middle seats. Make a real VW van that you are truly proud to call a VW rather than this piece of junk. Please email me and say you will work out a reasonable deal to trade this in for a real VW product. No one wants these vans for trade-ins.