2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:
Likes and dislikes
By kjthomas323 on 05/28/10 12:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Very poor city driving mileage. We came from an Odyssey so we were surprised at this. The interior leather looks cheap (thanks to the Chrysler design). The kids constantly bump their heads on the DVD players when going in and out of the vehicle so keeping the screens closed helps! Other than that, we have not taken it on a long trip, so I can't judge comfort or gas mileage fully. It has 6k miles on it and I hope we are one of the lucky ones that does not incur any mechanical issues. We love the sched. maint. We love the options i.e. remote start and heated rear seats, for the money it is a good deal. I have owned 4 VW's so far. Hope this one is built just as well.?! Only time will tell

Great Van
By busymom on 05/28/10 06:05 AM (PDT)

We converted from the Honda. Best thing we EVER did. This car is fun to drive and fun to ride in. It is much more quiet then the Honda. Our family has taken it on two long trips and it was so much more comfortable than the Honda. We read all the reviews and feel like the Routan was great by the experts, but the people who live with it liked it. We love it!

Wish I Hadn't
By GirlyGirl on 05/19/10 17:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought an SEL with Rear Entertainment to haul family of 6 around. Found it more comfortable than the Odyssey and was swayed by the power rear windows and dual TV's - 2 things Honda doesn't offer. 3rd row is horribly uncomfortable, cheap interior, and RES system is a nightmare to operate. The radio was replaced within 8 months of owning it and it rattles constantly. The gas mileage is awful for a mini- van. I've tried to get rid of it 2x but with the finance specials VW keeps running, I'm stuck.

VW Loads it up
By sid on 05/15/10 23:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Just want to say that I enjoy every little bit of this car. I got a good deal on it ($26,000) for a SE with Rear Entertainment for the kids. Doesn't have stow n go but has storage inside the floor(love it). Brand new is $31000, drives awesome and much more comfy than Sienna or Odyssey more stiffer then Sienna though but i like it myself. Check it out though1. Drives good 2VW warranty and care free maintenance + rear entertainment + XM radio sun roof can you get that with Toyota or Honda? They just marketed better and have been around longer.

Buy Something Else
By TO on 05/12/10 11:18 AM (PDT)

We are completely dissatisfied with this van. Nothing but transmission issues. Trans. leaked at 2800 mi, failed and was rebuilt at 8600 mi and valve body replaced again at 10,000 mi. Dealer had it for 10 out of the first 51 wks. Typical for a Chrysler based product. VW should be ashamed to have their badge on this van. Other issues, creaking noises from the RES and door panels. Rattling noises in the suspension. Power lift gate was malfunctioning. Rotors replaced at 600 mi. At one year old and 11,000 miles you should not have to worry about the vehicle falling apart. The MPG is poor, 12 in town,21 at best on Prem fuel on a trip. Using the Lemon Law for the trans. issues. Buy Toyota or Honda

Great Van
By J on 04/25/10 09:14 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This van is amazing.To bad it looks so much like a chrysler product, I think that really hurts it credibility. I spent 2 weeks in Sanfrancisco area and never saw one any where not even on my 1,200 mile drive there, nor have I seen one in washington where I live.This van is amazing, drives like a dream and is very comfortable for my fam of 6. The 4.0 v6 has lots of power and shifts so smooth, it has a raspy exaust that reminds me of an infinity suv. The projector beam head lamps turn night into day. I told my wife its vary funny that I sit and boast about my van as my friend is boasting about his new Lexus IS 250... I guess the van makes me forget I am driving a van,, I am impressed.

Cool Family hauler
By St John on 04/22/10 16:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We love the Routan or as my wife named it Rudy. So many family frendly features. The style is unique, sporty and not too common. GET the 4.0 v6 w/ 6 speed. The engine is quick and smooth. We get 22 mpg on hwy & 18 city. VW has been great to work with too.

Dont Make My Mistake.
By Gregg on 04/19/10 09:02 AM (PDT)

Not impressed, what a mistake. The transmission shifts way too often. The around town mileage is horrible. (11) & to top it all off the dealership cat fix it properly because its actually a Chrysler. If you want a Town & Country then buy one at least Chrysler can fix it for you without having to run to the other dealership to obtain parts.

A nice Ride
By Jerry on 04/19/10 07:39 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle rides a lot better than the 61 bus we had in San Francisco. We feel we are back to our roots. We owned a couple of Caravans and I know this is mostly a Chrysler car but the addition of European technology gives it an added plus. Do miss the Stow--go however. We went into get a light bulb for my wife's Jetta and left with the 09 Routan. My son loves the second row seat heaters and the entertainment system. The seats are more comfortable than the Caravan and it rides quieter. Mileage is ok, good on a trip, not so good in town. We took one Caravan to 197,000 miles. Hope to do the same with the Routan.

Great Van
By J on 04/15/10 13:54 PM (PDT)

We looked at everything and decided on the Routan because to the style and drivability. Bluetooth, dual sliders, nav, and JoyBox a plus. The engine is solid and fun to drive, from what I can tell you need to get the SEL or above to really get a good idea on the quality of the vehicle.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan in VA is:

$128 per month*