Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Routan is fun & trouble free family van
By stjohns

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have enjoyed our VW Routan SEL.
Quick acceleration and outstanding handling are feature we are most impressed with.
The layout and functionality is family friendly.
Power door & lift gate are flawless and convenient.

1)Handling 2) smooth engine 3) Cargo & seating 4) unique design, not too common 5) Zero cost VW maintenance 6) Favorite kid hauler

Pentastar V6 is great addition

VW Routan Brake Problems
By carshopper82

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an 09 Routan, and have driven it for 33,000 miles since.
The van is nice and is perhaps the nicest minivan ride based on my experience.
However, there are a lot of design issues with it.
I have replaced the brakes all around including rotors, pads, and calipers three times - this at no cost because I documented to VW of America this is a design issue.
Similar vans from 2009 (Chrysler Town Country) had the same issues - my in-laws own it.
As you know, the Routan is a brand-labeled T&C.
Othe rissues pertain to transmission hoses.
So far VW has taken care of me but it is definitely a lemon.

VW service is awesome - I fee bad they have tarnished the brand when they started offering a Chrysler product. I have been loyal to VW for many years owning more than a dozen models over the years. I'd recommend they sell their products and stay away from factored products.

Brakes are under-sized for the weight (mass) of the vehicle. This issue is in my opinion a product safety concern. Hope they will fix soon.

Sporty cruiser for the family
By groovyvwroutan

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have owned our SEL for 2 years. Totally satisfied with this spirted and practical vehicle.
VW no cost service is excellent and makes the experience of owning a Routan easy. We have had zero out of pocket except gas. We will go back in a few years and get another VW.

Leather is nice.

Handling is 1st class. Easy for the kids to load in & out. Storage and seating are well though out. Fuel economy is much better than our SUVs. 4.0 v6 is quick. New Pentastar looks good too.

I miss the days when a well equipped car was $18 K. Bring that back.

Stay away... Don't buy this car!!!
By baseball33

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This was my first VW and my last.
From the moment I bought this van I have had it in the for repairs.
Or should I say I take it in for repairs but the van is never fixed.
The sliding doors are extremely damerous.
My chidlren are scared to get in & out. It hit my arm and let a nice bruse. Brakes and roaters have been replaced three times and still do not work right.
Power seats have a mind of their own.
And the paint job is horrible, one little bump the paint falls off. Spoiler has had to be completely re-painted.
Now it doesn't start all the time. Wow. I don't have enough characters to explain what is all wrong. VW customer service isn't much help, suggested buy new VW van. No thank u

Entertainment Center

Start over from Scratch and fix the brakes and sliding doors before someone gets hurt.

Unsafe, Unreliable, Multiple Repair Issues
By usmcwifesocal

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Puchased van in Aug.'09. Delivered t us with a broken antenna (replaced, and then replaced again a year later due to rusting). Rear DVD screen went black sreplaced. Seat covers came apart at seams, window shade fraued, headliner panel and AC vent came loose, arm rest cracked (replaced all), windshield wipers stopped randomly several times (never fixed -failed to replicate), windows and doors failed numerous occasions (3 year old son's hand was caught in door when pinch guard failed and manually had to be pried off of him) -problem unresolved), brake pads and rotors all around have had issues (back pads were recalled, rotors machined 2x in 1 year, VW now says we must pay $1000 to replace all)

(continued), floor panel cracked in between captain's chairs in the back, dealership took pictures and asked Corporate to replace under warranty - VOA replied that it was due to "outside influence" but refused to send me anything in writing to explain what that meant. Entertainment system failed numerous times...was finally eplaced when I brought in several videos documenting the failures. The new Entertainment system has the same issues. Ignition failed on several occasions, again, was not addressed until I produced video proof. New ignition system gave same problems, except now, when driving on the highway, if your knee touches the ignition area, the entire van shuts off and the steering

(continued) wheel locks up. This has happened in rush hour traffic. Volume on radio gets stuck at incredibly high levels, and will not go up or down. System fails to recognize Bluetooth, seats get very hot and will not shut off. Doors have a mind of their own, and will open and close with or without apparent obstructions. The van feels like it downshifts on it's own while traveling at low speeds, and there is a terrible rattling noise coming from underneath the front end of the van. Dealership has been unable to replicate half of the issues, though I have most documented on video. VOA has denied my repeated requests to buy back this vehicle. They've offered me "deals", but this is UNSAFE!!!