Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Routan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Almost killed us!
By kiddycargo3

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We have had this thing in the shop 7times over two months when you add up all the days. 9 recalls, tons of electrical issues including the sensors not working on the side doors and smashing my two year old twice! The biggest issue was when I was driving my three kids going 40mph and the engine shutoff and I had no power steering or brakes! we almost smashed into a dump truck! God was watching over us and as I was somewhat able to turn the wheel and took out half the landscaping at MC Donalds right before I hit the dumpster the brake came on! Took it in and the computer was bad and come to find out there was a fuse missing this whole time. VW said well we put in a new computer and fuse sorry!

JUNK - CONSTANT RECALLS
By pensfan1

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is a chrysler with a VW badge, no problem there. The interior has the VW refinements, thats what attracted us. The motor is very powerful and gas mileage ok for the power ratio. Bad news- Constant recalls, transmissions, door motor caught fire. Dealershio servcie is horrible. Basically car has to die before they will fix it. Then they fight about warranty coverage.

Favorite Features

Powerful 4.0 engine, handles like sports car

Best minivan ever!
By luvveedub

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Yes, I know the criticism -- the Routan is a Town and Country disguised as a Volkswagen. No matter. I am a Volkswagen loyalist (this is my 3rd VW -- also have a 2008 Rabbit) and this is a GREAT minivan. Comfortable, smooth, great seats, attractive, even powerful (4.0 engine). Really, what's not to like? Sure it isn't as nimble as my old Passat or my Rabbit, but I didn't expect it to be -- I mean it is a minivan, after all. Yet, I think VW's suspension tweaks do make it superior to the Town and Country and - - dare I say -- the Odyssey and Sienna.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, ride, peppy 4.0 engine, features.

Suggested Improvements

Please include satellite radio as standard equipment. Otherwise, no complaints.

Routan is a great Minivan
By Vdub Routan

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our SEL Routan for a little over a year and can recommend it to any family. The 4.0 V6 is quick and fuel efficient. The handling is the best in mini van class. We love all the friendly feature and use it much more than our full size SUV. VW has given us FREE service and a loaner when ever we need oil changes or any work done. An added benefit of having a product with Chrysler volume parts is aftermarket upgrade or optional products for cheap. We are Happy owners.

Favorite Features

Handling. 4.0 V6

Suggested Improvements

Pentastar V6 option

Don't buy this car...
By bbaak

This car is 95% chrysler! First and foremost. If you want a VW, DONT BUY THIS. This is a Chrysler rebadged as a VW. The Only thing VW besides the logo is the suspension. I was told only the frame and the engine....but sorry the whole thing is Chrysler. VW sells 4 different vans in Germany, but now I'm stuck with a car that has lost 30% of it's value in less than one year. IF I knew then what I know now I would leased it at least then I'd be able to mess w/ VW back as they would have to eat MOST of the cost on this car at surrender time. IF you want a routan buy a Town and Country....go to a VW dealer buy logo's and stick them on.....same thing!!!!!!

Favorite Features

Dual DVD players.....THATS IT!

Suggested Improvements

STOP SELLING IT! People go to VW for a reason they don't want a chrysler! WHO BUYS A CAR FROM A BANKRUPT MANUFACTURER AND REBRANDS IT.....THERE'S A REASON THAT CHRYSLER IS/WAS IN BANKRUPTCY!