2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:
Great Family friendly Vehicle
By Anthony on 04/20/09 07:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Having 2 small kids, and the endless stuff that goes with them, i knew the days of non-mini van ownership were numbered. I drove the Grand caravan and was very impressed with the engine and transmission performance, Loved the conveniences of all the interior cubbies and storage compartments. I feel that VW addresses the ONLY downfall of chrysler, and thats its interior design. VW nailed the dash setup, the softtouch material looks and feels great. this van is HUGE! with the 3rd row seats folded, i can roll in strollers and bikes and still have room for the weeks groceries. the 3 year maintenance is a great relief. gas Mileage is outstanding!!, im getting 25.1 Highway (62mph)

Best van of all
By richie74 on 04/19/09 18:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We've had it only for a week but so far it's been great. The interior it's roomy and comfortable the kids love the rear dvd. We compared and test drive every single van in the market before going with VW and you get a lot more for your money compared with the others. This is our 5th VW and we have nothing to say but excellent thing about them

Really Nice Van
By Bob S on 04/10/09 14:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Compared to my 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L, this is a great van! Much quieter on the road, better seats, and we don't see ourselves coming and going everywhere. The Honda doesn't have the toys either. The power passenger seat is especially important to my wife.

We love our 2009 Volkswagen Routan
By table4five on 04/03/09 11:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We just bought a new Routan and couldn't be happier with our purchase. The van drives nice, has great styling and convenient interior features. I test drove the Honda Odyssey, Nissan Quest and Dodge Caravan and thought the Routan was much nice & more fun to drive. We have three kids and they are loving it so far, too. The 2 movie screens are great for watching different movies. The seats are also very comfortable and roomy. I feel like I can move around the cabin much more easily than the other minivans, and I think it drives better and more quietly.

WOW, What a van
By gpeck29 on 04/01/09 22:02 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I'm one that said we would never have a van. However, we had 3 children and we needed it. I like the styling of the Routan over the other Chrysler products. I also think the interior is much more friendly than the Honda Odyssey. We took delivery on a Tuesday, and Friday we left on vacation...putting 3000 miles on the vehicle. Loved it! I would recommend purchasing the Routan.

I like it!
By nich617 on 02/09/09 18:24 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have only owned the Routan for 4 days now but so far so good. There is SO much space. The gas mileage isn't bad for a minivan. It is definitely the best looking minivan out right now. I'm a little nervous about the fact that Chrysler has a hand in producing them but time will tell.

Made it Okay to Drive a Mini-Van
By boilerup on 01/09/09 20:00 PM (PST)

I kept resisting a mini-van, but with 3 young kids it became a must have. I was hesitant to get the Routan because of the 're-badged' Chrysler persona and just it being the first model year. However, I've been very impressed so far. My wife and I have owned 6 VW's and we can definitely say it has that VW feel and drive to it. It is a dream to drive versus our other car, a Honda Pilot. We also checked out the Odyssey, but it just didn't have a good driving feel to it and suffers the usual interior rattling we've had on all of our Hondas. So I'm glad we went with the Routan. It definitely has more VW to it than I expected.

NOT a Dodge or Chrysler with a VW badge
By devnic on 12/30/08 11:44 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I am qualified to make the above statement as I own a Chrysler Town & Country and have driven the Dodge Grand Caravan several times prior to purchasing my Routan. Anyone who thinks this is the same car as the Dodge or Chrysler is sadly mistaken. The seats in the VW are definitely VW - more firm than the mushy seats of the other two. The engine on the base Routan which I have- the S- is the 3.8L Chrysler engine - not the 3.3L on the base Town & Country or Dodge. The interior design and the driving experience are VW. I have owned more than 6 VWs over the past 20 years and this van feels, looks and acts like a VW. Sharing an engine and body panels w/the other two make it no less a VW.

A day didn't go by when something broke!
By trixR4kids on 12/23/08 19:53 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium CARB 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

It got to the point where virtually every day of ownership meant something else on this barge didn't fall off, break off, peel off or just plain disappear! Electronics were especially "gremlin filled" nightmares. Door locks would stop working, then start locking or unlocking by themselves. Fuel gauge would sit there and pulsate F to E like it was alive! Dash lighting would fade to nothing at night, then come back on brightly until it repeated the blackout thing. After some negotiations, we took it into the dealer and drove out a new Tourag. Then I found out that this thing was built by Chrysler....now I understand!

Very Impressed
By Hawkster00 on 12/21/08 09:52 AM (PST)

There was no way I was going to buy a "mini-van" but my wife convinced me so I got her one for Christmas. Needless to say I was very impressed with all the features you get with a SE model. It drives like a dream and my daughter loves watching movies on car rides to the grocery store. Don't buy a mini-van, buy a Routan.... :-)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan in WA is:

$161 per month*