Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan SE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Routan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Consumes Oil
By pnwislander

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is the first vehicle I have ever owned where I have to put in a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or the oil light will come on and the manufacturer considers that normal. There are other things that seemed minor, like side door catching etc. But all of the sudden after hitting 30,000 miles to have to start putting in a quart of oil every 1,000 miles (now at 45,000 miles) just seems ridiculous to be considered normal. Our other car is a VW Golf that we love ,and the Routan is just an all around disappointment. Wishing we had bought the Honda or Toyata minivan instead.

Better than Dodge or Chrysler
By jbanger

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I know this is a Chrysler product but Routan does perform better. I compared to Town & Country rental. Routan is more responsive and comfortable. The exhaust is raspy and I fear the sliding doors will be a future pain. I think the brakes are not enough for this large vehicle. The 2nd row seats are a little sticky to move. Warranty is great.

Favorite Features

Exterior is great looking. Seats are clean and comfortable. Smooth Suspension

Suggested Improvements

Quiet the exhaust. Add a little more HP. Make roof racks standard. Beef up the brakes.

Routan Rocks
By Kevin

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

*Exterior is beautiful (best looking minivan in my opinion) *Love the features (i.e. stow & go, power windows in rear dual sliders, sunroof, traction control, stability control, and much more) *Interior is improved over the Grand Caravan *Suspension is much better than Grand Caravan (thanks VW)

Favorite Features

Looks, safety features, fun factor (if options are selected carefully)

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

Do not buy a Routan!
By Jweldon

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Never buy one of these cars. A complete waste of money. The vehicle is unsafe and a hazard to your family. One of our children has actually gotten his head trapped in the sliding door b/c they do not work properly, they open and close on their own! VW does not care. We have had the car in for service too many times to count. It is there right now and I do not want to bring it home. I miss my Honda Pilot. This car is a nightmare.

Favorite Features

There is no favorite feature on this car.

Suggested Improvements

Everything. VW, fix this. Put your Routan customers in a safe vehicle and until your problems are resolved, stop selling them, you are putting families at risk.

Worst invesment ever
By mojo

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have 28,000k on my routan and I already changed brakes 2 times, stereo, and front end. I have problem with the transmission the sliding doors and the engine is burning oil. The dealer keeps ignoring me and delaying the repair process. They even denied it is burning oil until I took it to them and asked them to check it for and they came to tell me it is fine so I took it to a mechanic and he confirmed it is burning oil then they said the engine breather is. I cannot sell it or trade it because its value sunk in the ground especially when they stopped making it.