Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan S Minivan Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

RUN LIKE HELL
By Ros

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This by far is one of the worst vehicles. I only had it a week and its been in the service shop everyday...REFUND

Lemon
By Rourke

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

From the moment I bought the car it was in the shop 6 time. This last repair is going to cost me at least $1500 for the TIPM. This is crazy. Why is this allowed to happen?

VW Routan Brake Problems
By carshopper82

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an 09 Routan, and have driven it for 33,000 miles since.
The van is nice and is perhaps the nicest minivan ride based on my experience.
However, there are a lot of design issues with it.
I have replaced the brakes all around including rotors, pads, and calipers three times - this at no cost because I documented to VW of America this is a design issue.
Similar vans from 2009 (Chrysler Town Country) had the same issues - my in-laws own it.
As you know, the Routan is a brand-labeled T&C.
Othe rissues pertain to transmission hoses.
So far VW has taken care of me but it is definitely a lemon.

VW service is awesome - I fee bad they have tarnished the brand when they started offering a Chrysler product. I have been loyal to VW for many years owning more than a dozen models over the years. I'd recommend they sell their products and stay away from factored products.

Brakes are under-sized for the weight (mass) of the vehicle. This issue is in my opinion a product safety concern. Hope they will fix soon.

run away as fast as you can!
By disappointed

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a new 2009 Routon S. Nothing but problems! Headlamp held water, bumper cover started coming- off, trans seal leak, engine compartment rattle, stock ventshades would not stick to the windows, 2 window motors, all of this within 9 months. Bob King VW did not apparently know how to do a proper trns service, which led to the rattle. Took a tech from Charlotte to figure it out! No trans dipstick and the dealer and VW district rep would not order one when asked, even said I would pay for it! Be prepared for pure frustration with the vehicle, dealer, and VW of America. Also be prepared to hire an attorney, as VW of America is a useless car co. Avoid VW and Chrysler at all costs.

good headlamps for seeing the road at night, when they do not have water in them, good brakes, good standard CD player.

The parts and workmanship are substandard. There is no hope for this vehicle.

Highs and Lows
By berne1

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Got our S model 10 months ago for the great lease payment. Some nitpicks are our fault (for getting the base model), while others are VW/Chrysler's. The 3.8L is fine for the driving my wife does, which is basically back & forth to kids' school. MPG doesn't really matter when you put as few miles on as we do! Best handling/riding minivan I've driven! Way roomier & more useful than the SUV we turned in. Quality issues include sliders that don't open in temps below 30 degrees, a tire pressure monitor that is constantly on, and some rattles. Over time I've noticed much more suspension noise.

Ride & handling are superior for a minivan. Sliding doors make kid access a breeze. I love the shifter location on the dash. I just picked up some 4x8 drywall today and fit no problem. Fold- flat 3rd row is awesome.

Offer interior besides gray on the S model. Ditch the old-school mast antenna for in-glass. Multi-spoke wheels difficult to clean. For some reason mine has DRLs and factory people have no desire to help me disable them. Digital odometer & warning graphics look cheap and straight from the '80s.