2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:
VW Routan Brake Problems
By carshopper82 on 07/04/12 11:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an 09 Routan, and have driven it for 33,000 miles since. The van is nice and is perhaps the nicest minivan ride based on my experience. However, there are a lot of design issues with it. I have replaced the brakes all around including rotors, pads, and calipers three times - this at no cost because I documented to VW of America this is a design issue. Similar vans from 2009 (Chrysler Town Country) had the same issues - my in-laws own it. As you know, the Routan is a brand-labeled T&C. Othe rissues pertain to transmission hoses. So far VW has taken care of me but it is definitely a lemon.

run away as fast as you can!
By disappointed on 04/02/10 11:09 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a new 2009 Routon S. Nothing but problems! Headlamp held water, bumper cover started coming- off, trans seal leak, engine compartment rattle, stock ventshades would not stick to the windows, 2 window motors, all of this within 9 months. Bob King VW did not apparently know how to do a proper trns service, which led to the rattle. Took a tech from Charlotte to figure it out! No trans dipstick and the dealer and VW district rep would not order one when asked, even said I would pay for it! Be prepared for pure frustration with the vehicle, dealer, and VW of America. Also be prepared to hire an attorney, as VW of America is a useless car co. Avoid VW and Chrysler at all costs.

Highs and Lows
By berne1 on 01/18/10 18:20 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Got our S model 10 months ago for the great lease payment. Some nitpicks are our fault (for getting the base model), while others are VW/Chrysler's. The 3.8L is fine for the driving my wife does, which is basically back & forth to kids' school. MPG doesn't really matter when you put as few miles on as we do! Best handling/riding minivan I've driven! Way roomier & more useful than the SUV we turned in. Quality issues include sliders that don't open in temps below 30 degrees, a tire pressure monitor that is constantly on, and some rattles. Over time I've noticed much more suspension noise.

follow up, not as nice as I thought..
By nich617 on 09/22/09 14:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I wrote a review shortly after purchasing this van. While I still like it, I am very disappointed that we have to get ALL seven seats replaced because they are all tearing at the seam...even on some of the seats we don't sit on! First the passenger seat went and they replaced that seat. We went back to the dealership (not the dealer we purchased from - I am sure we would've gotten better service from them but they are much farther away) 2 months ago to show them the rest of our seats. We are still "waiting" for the parts to come in. I hope this doesn't happen to everyone else...

I like it!
By nich617 on 02/09/09 18:24 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have only owned the Routan for 4 days now but so far so good. There is SO much space. The gas mileage isn't bad for a minivan. It is definitely the best looking minivan out right now. I'm a little nervous about the fact that Chrysler has a hand in producing them but time will tell.

NOT a Dodge or Chrysler with a VW badge
By devnic on 12/30/08 11:44 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I am qualified to make the above statement as I own a Chrysler Town & Country and have driven the Dodge Grand Caravan several times prior to purchasing my Routan. Anyone who thinks this is the same car as the Dodge or Chrysler is sadly mistaken. The seats in the VW are definitely VW - more firm than the mushy seats of the other two. The engine on the base Routan which I have- the S- is the 3.8L Chrysler engine - not the 3.3L on the base Town & Country or Dodge. The interior design and the driving experience are VW. I have owned more than 6 VWs over the past 20 years and this van feels, looks and acts like a VW. Sharing an engine and body panels w/the other two make it no less a VW.

Awesome for what it is
By cfeigenbutz on 10/22/08 06:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

There have been many complaints about this being a rebadged Chrysler. For what it is, the Routan is outstanding. There is no way to get a Wolfsburg designed and built minivan to the U.S. in this price range. VW is trying to capture the market for their customers who already have a VW and need a family hauler. We have a Jetta, and needed more room for our growing family. While every aspect of it may not be "German Engineered," it surely is "German Inspired." The ride is great, the layout inside is well though out (we have a bench instead of the captain's chairs for the 2nd row, much more convenient in my opinion). Would definitely recommend.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan in VA is:

$128 per month*