2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan 3.8L V6 6-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

SE Passenger Minivan (3.8L V6 6-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Routan model:
Consumes Oil
By pnwislander on 04/16/14 13:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is the first vehicle I have ever owned where I have to put in a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or the oil light will come on and the manufacturer considers that normal. There are other things that seemed minor, like side door catching etc. But all of the sudden after hitting 30,000 miles to have to start putting in a quart of oil every 1,000 miles (now at 45,000 miles) just seems ridiculous to be considered normal. Our other car is a VW Golf that we love ,and the Routan is just an all around disappointment. Wishing we had bought the Honda or Toyata minivan instead.

Better than Dodge or Chrysler
By jbanger on 08/30/10 06:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I know this is a Chrysler product but Routan does perform better. I compared to Town & Country rental. Routan is more responsive and comfortable. The exhaust is raspy and I fear the sliding doors will be a future pain. I think the brakes are not enough for this large vehicle. The 2nd row seats are a little sticky to move. Warranty is great.

Routan Rocks
By Kevin on 08/14/10 19:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

*Exterior is beautiful (best looking minivan in my opinion) *Love the features (i.e. stow & go, power windows in rear dual sliders, sunroof, traction control, stability control, and much more) *Interior is improved over the Grand Caravan *Suspension is much better than Grand Caravan (thanks VW)

Do not buy a Routan!
By Jweldon on 08/05/10 08:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Never buy one of these cars. A complete waste of money. The vehicle is unsafe and a hazard to your family. One of our children has actually gotten his head trapped in the sliding door b/c they do not work properly, they open and close on their own! VW does not care. We have had the car in for service too many times to count. It is there right now and I do not want to bring it home. I miss my Honda Pilot. This car is a nightmare.

Worst invesment ever
By mojo on 06/10/10 22:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have 28,000k on my routan and I already changed brakes 2 times, stereo, and front end. I have problem with the transmission the sliding doors and the engine is burning oil. The dealer keeps ignoring me and delaying the repair process. They even denied it is burning oil until I took it to them and asked them to check it for and they came to tell me it is fine so I took it to a mechanic and he confirmed it is burning oil then they said the engine breather is. I cannot sell it or trade it because its value sunk in the ground especially when they stopped making it.

Been Great
By TheGoodDriver on 01/08/10 10:31 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is a follow-up from my previous review a yr ago. So far, everything's been great about this vehicle and it now has 15,500 miles, with no electrical/mechanical issues. The Routan's interior is the nicest of all minivans I've test-driven. Best of all, the ride comfort and quietness give me and my family a peace of mind, and I learned how very important it is to be able to carry a normal conversation on a long trip, which you cannot do if you're in other popular (for no real reason) minivans that produce wind/road noise. Chrysler's done an awesome job for the Routan and the VW's suspension's just ingenious— makes it a luxury minivan, not an average utility vehicle for a family.

Pleasantly Surprised
By Skeptic on 12/11/09 08:54 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I was skeptical about buying this for all the reason noted in most car reviews but my wife loved it. It has turned out to be a great vehicle with no defects in the fist 4 months and 6,000 miles. Got a great price on it, better than Honda, Toyota or Chrysler. We have owned a VW, Toyota Camery, Infiniti, Audi, Mazda, and Volvo and they all have/had their issues with build quality and mechanical quirks. So far I am pleasantly surprised and for a minivan that we will eventually get trashed by kids this is a great vehicle. Also, the VW dealer was the only one willing to give loner car and free oil service for the life of the warranty. That's cool.

So Far So good
By VWDriver on 08/06/09 13:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

My Routan now has 9,500 miles, but so far so good. I recently traveled 156 miles (according to MapQuest) with a full tank. During our travel I stopped at a gas station at the destination and filled up the tank again out of curiosity--exactly 3 gallons was consumed for the 78-mile (one-way) trip. My Routan has averaged 26 MPG on HWY. I'm not sure whether it improved because of my mild driving habit or the expensive gas from Chevron. Still, it is awesome to know it has better MPG than Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey, even w/ its VCM Feature. This van has also been very comfortable--a typical asset of VWs.

First Mini-Van
By love-the-routan on 07/20/09 09:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first mini-van and I am more than happy. The price was very fair compared to competitors and the ride is so smooth. Visually, I believe it is the best out there.

The Best One
By Thegooddriver on 05/11/09 09:04 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have test-driven and researched different minivans for months before buying one and when I decided to, the Routan came out. At first, I was hesitant for it's a Chrysler-made minivan. I test-drove it and find it to be much better and the best for many reasons: it runs very smoothly, the suspensions absorb rough and uneven surfaces on HWYs very well and road noise isn't noticeable at all compared to the Odyssey. It also looks more sophisticated than other minivans. It definitely feels VW. Maybe, with VW and Chrysler combined, you can't go wrong, especially in this century. People nowadays rarely keep their cars for decades, so if for any reason this vehicle won't last, I won't worry.