2009 Volkswagen Routan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:
Please contact VW 1-800-822-8987 about your Routan porblems
By walnutcreekvw on 07/01/14 15:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Your Routan is not a lemon. I used to think the same thing until mine shut down while driving...again! VW replaced our control module a couple of years ago, but the van loses power while driving. It's really scary! We had our rotors replaced as well. They still shake. They told us it was from the weight of the vehicle. This van is not safe. I called VW today to start a case. Does a family have to get injured/killed before they resolve this issue? Call VW and start a case so we can have these issues addressed before someone gets hurt.1-800-822-8987

Consumes Oil
By pnwislander on 04/16/14 13:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is the first vehicle I have ever owned where I have to put in a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or the oil light will come on and the manufacturer considers that normal. There are other things that seemed minor, like side door catching etc. But all of the sudden after hitting 30,000 miles to have to start putting in a quart of oil every 1,000 miles (now at 45,000 miles) just seems ridiculous to be considered normal. Our other car is a VW Golf that we love ,and the Routan is just an all around disappointment. Wishing we had bought the Honda or Toyata minivan instead.

Up In Flames
By insrtg on 05/02/13 12:59 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

My Volkswagon Routan 2009 was serviced back in March 2013 - transmission & power steering. When the service was completed at a VW service center, I picked up the car, drove home the short distance, and parked in my driveway. The next morning while at a traffic light, the car started to go on fire from the engine and eventually burst into flames. Thankfully no one was hurt, but I don't believe it was a coincidence that it happened a few hours since the car was picked up from the service at Legend Audi Volkswagon in Amityville. Aside from that incident, the car had numerous issues throughout the 4 years, i.e. brakes, glitchy doors, glitchy radio, and recalled parts. Terrible car.

Trouble free
By edsel4u on 03/27/13 09:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought new June 2009 and now at 33,000 miles we have not had any major malfunctions. We'll own the Routan till the wheels fall off. It's an excellent transportation appliance and if people respect the Routan minivan for what it is, and for what it is not, they'll be satisfied too.

2010 Routon REL
By no_more_vws on 03/15/13 08:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a used (20k miles) one and its nothing but problems. Doesnt start all the time. New battery, new starter...wont start. While in gear and idleing forward it shakes the vehicle. At highway speed it surges like tranny slipping. Rear electric seat stopped working and its rarely used. Sliding door on passenger side makes a horrible noise when opening, was told its fine. Pulls to the right. 2 sets of tires in 40k miles. 3 alignments. I think this vehicle was wrecked and they didnt tell us. Bought one year old from dealer for $29k (less than book value) one year and 20k miles later its worth $19k??? WTF!! still owe $26k. Odyssey is next.

Routan is fun & trouble free family van
By stjohns on 12/31/12 12:41 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have enjoyed our VW Routan SEL. Quick acceleration and outstanding handling are feature we are most impressed with. The layout and functionality is family friendly. Power door & lift gate are flawless and convenient.

VW Routan Brake Problems
By carshopper82 on 07/04/12 11:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an 09 Routan, and have driven it for 33,000 miles since. The van is nice and is perhaps the nicest minivan ride based on my experience. However, there are a lot of design issues with it. I have replaced the brakes all around including rotors, pads, and calipers three times - this at no cost because I documented to VW of America this is a design issue. Similar vans from 2009 (Chrysler Town Country) had the same issues - my in-laws own it. As you know, the Routan is a brand-labeled T&C. Othe rissues pertain to transmission hoses. So far VW has taken care of me but it is definitely a lemon.

Sporty cruiser for the family
By groovyvwroutan on 09/02/11 13:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have owned our SEL for 2 years. Totally satisfied with this spirted and practical vehicle. VW no cost service is excellent and makes the experience of owning a Routan easy. We have had zero out of pocket except gas. We will go back in a few years and get another VW. Leather is nice.

Stay away... Don't buy this car!!!
By baseball33 on 07/29/11 06:33 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This was my first VW and my last. From the moment I bought this van I have had it in the for repairs. Or should I say I take it in for repairs but the van is never fixed. The sliding doors are extremely damerous. My chidlren are scared to get in & out. It hit my arm and let a nice bruse. Brakes and roaters have been replaced three times and still do not work right. Power seats have a mind of their own. And the paint job is horrible, one little bump the paint falls off. Spoiler has had to be completely re-painted. Now it doesn't start all the time. Wow. I don't have enough characters to explain what is all wrong. VW customer service isn't much help, suggested buy new VW van. No thank u

Unsafe, Unreliable, Multiple Repair Issues
By usmcwifesocal on 06/20/11 21:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Puchased van in Aug.'09. Delivered t us with a broken antenna (replaced, and then replaced again a year later due to rusting). Rear DVD screen went black sreplaced. Seat covers came apart at seams, window shade fraued, headliner panel and AC vent came loose, arm rest cracked (replaced all), windshield wipers stopped randomly several times (never fixed -failed to replicate), windows and doors failed numerous occasions (3 year old son's hand was caught in door when pinch guard failed and manually had to be pried off of him) -problem unresolved), brake pads and rotors all around have had issues (back pads were recalled, rotors machined 2x in 1 year, VW now says we must pay $1000 to replace all)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Routan in VA is:

$130 per month*