2009 Volkswagen Routan S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Routan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Routan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Sort Reviews by

Please contact VW 1-800-822-8987 about your Routan porblems
By walnutcreekvw

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Your Routan is not a lemon. I used to think the same thing until mine shut down while driving...again! VW replaced our control module a couple of years ago, but the van loses power while driving. It's really scary! We had our rotors replaced as well. They still shake. They told us it was from the weight of the vehicle. This van is not safe. I called VW today to start a case. Does a family have to get injured/killed before they resolve this issue? Call VW and start a case so we can have these issues addressed before someone gets hurt.1-800-822-8987

Favorite Features

Looks good on exterior and interior, but it is not a safe vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy. I wish we could return our Routan.

Consumes Oil
By pnwislander

2009 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is the first vehicle I have ever owned where I have to put in a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or the oil light will come on and the manufacturer considers that normal. There are other things that seemed minor, like side door catching etc. But all of the sudden after hitting 30,000 miles to have to start putting in a quart of oil every 1,000 miles (now at 45,000 miles) just seems ridiculous to be considered normal. Our other car is a VW Golf that we love ,and the Routan is just an all around disappointment. Wishing we had bought the Honda or Toyata minivan instead.

Up In Flames
By insrtg

2009 Volkswagen Routan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

My Volkswagon Routan 2009 was serviced back in March 2013 - transmission & power steering. When the service was completed at a VW service center, I picked up the car, drove home the short distance, and parked in my driveway. The next morning while at a traffic light, the car started to go on fire from the engine and eventually burst into flames. Thankfully no one was hurt, but I don't believe it was a coincidence that it happened a few hours since the car was picked up from the service at Legend Audi Volkswagon in Amityville. Aside from that incident, the car had numerous issues throughout the 4 years, i.e. brakes, glitchy doors, glitchy radio, and recalled parts. Terrible car.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Discontinue the Routan immediately

Trouble free
By edsel4u

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought new June 2009 and now at 33,000 miles we have not had any major malfunctions. We'll own the Routan till the wheels fall off. It's an excellent transportation appliance and if people respect the Routan minivan for what it is, and for what it is not, they'll be satisfied too.

2010 Routon REL
By no_more_vws

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a used (20k miles) one and its nothing but problems. Doesnt start all the time. New battery, new starter...wont start. While in gear and idleing forward it shakes the vehicle. At highway speed it surges like tranny slipping. Rear electric seat stopped working and its rarely used. Sliding door on passenger side makes a horrible noise when opening, was told its fine. Pulls to the right. 2 sets of tires in 40k miles. 3 alignments. I think this vehicle was wrecked and they didnt tell us. Bought one year old from dealer for $29k (less than book value) one year and 20k miles later its worth $19k??? WTF!! still owe $26k. Odyssey is next.

Favorite Features

Nice entertainment system. Although you cannot watch a DVD from drivers seat like in our 2009 when in park. Quiet. Good gas mileage Leather seats dont appear to be all leather but comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Dont buy it. No suggestions to offer, its value drops WAY too much for the price you pay. Its a money pit and needs to be valued at half of its price.

Routan is fun & trouble free family van
By stjohns

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have enjoyed our VW Routan SEL. Quick acceleration and outstanding handling are feature we are most impressed with. The layout and functionality is family friendly. Power door & lift gate are flawless and convenient.

Favorite Features

1)Handling 2) smooth engine 3) Cargo & seating 4) unique design, not too common 5) Zero cost VW maintenance 6) Favorite kid hauler

Suggested Improvements

Pentastar V6 is great addition

VW Routan Brake Problems
By carshopper82

2009 Volkswagen Routan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an 09 Routan, and have driven it for 33,000 miles since. The van is nice and is perhaps the nicest minivan ride based on my experience. However, there are a lot of design issues with it. I have replaced the brakes all around including rotors, pads, and calipers three times - this at no cost because I documented to VW of America this is a design issue. Similar vans from 2009 (Chrysler Town Country) had the same issues - my in-laws own it. As you know, the Routan is a brand-labeled T&C. Othe rissues pertain to transmission hoses. So far VW has taken care of me but it is definitely a lemon.

Favorite Features

VW service is awesome - I fee bad they have tarnished the brand when they started offering a Chrysler product. I have been loyal to VW for many years owning more than a dozen models over the years. I'd recommend they sell their products and stay away from factored products.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are under-sized for the weight (mass) of the vehicle. This issue is in my opinion a product safety concern. Hope they will fix soon.

Sporty cruiser for the family
By groovyvwroutan

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have owned our SEL for 2 years. Totally satisfied with this spirted and practical vehicle. VW no cost service is excellent and makes the experience of owning a Routan easy. We have had zero out of pocket except gas. We will go back in a few years and get another VW. Leather is nice.

Favorite Features

Handling is 1st class. Easy for the kids to load in & out. Storage and seating are well though out. Fuel economy is much better than our SUVs. 4.0 v6 is quick. New Pentastar looks good too.

Suggested Improvements

I miss the days when a well equipped car was $18 K. Bring that back.

Stay away... Don't buy this car!!!
By baseball33

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This was my first VW and my last. From the moment I bought this van I have had it in the for repairs. Or should I say I take it in for repairs but the van is never fixed. The sliding doors are extremely damerous. My chidlren are scared to get in & out. It hit my arm and let a nice bruse. Brakes and roaters have been replaced three times and still do not work right. Power seats have a mind of their own. And the paint job is horrible, one little bump the paint falls off. Spoiler has had to be completely re-painted. Now it doesn't start all the time. Wow. I don't have enough characters to explain what is all wrong. VW customer service isn't much help, suggested buy new VW van. No thank u

Favorite Features

Entertainment Center

Suggested Improvements

Start over from Scratch and fix the brakes and sliding doors before someone gets hurt.

Unsafe, Unreliable, Multiple Repair Issues
By usmcwifesocal

2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Puchased van in Aug.'09. Delivered t us with a broken antenna (replaced, and then replaced again a year later due to rusting). Rear DVD screen went black sreplaced. Seat covers came apart at seams, window shade fraued, headliner panel and AC vent came loose, arm rest cracked (replaced all), windshield wipers stopped randomly several times (never fixed -failed to replicate), windows and doors failed numerous occasions (3 year old son's hand was caught in door when pinch guard failed and manually had to be pried off of him) -problem unresolved), brake pads and rotors all around have had issues (back pads were recalled, rotors machined 2x in 1 year, VW now says we must pay $1000 to replace all)

Favorite Features

(continued), floor panel cracked in between captain's chairs in the back, dealership took pictures and asked Corporate to replace under warranty - VOA replied that it was due to "outside influence" but refused to send me anything in writing to explain what that meant. Entertainment system failed numerous times...was finally eplaced when I brought in several videos documenting the failures. The new Entertainment system has the same issues. Ignition failed on several occasions, again, was not addressed until I produced video proof. New ignition system gave same problems, except now, when driving on the highway, if your knee touches the ignition area, the entire van shuts off and the steering

Suggested Improvements

(continued) wheel locks up. This has happened in rush hour traffic. Volume on radio gets stuck at incredibly high levels, and will not go up or down. System fails to recognize Bluetooth, seats get very hot and will not shut off. Doors have a mind of their own, and will open and close with or without apparent obstructions. The van feels like it downshifts on it's own while traveling at low speeds, and there is a terrible rattling noise coming from underneath the front end of the van. Dealership has been unable to replicate half of the issues, though I have most documented on video. VOA has denied my repeated requests to buy back this vehicle. They've offered me "deals", but this is UNSAFE!!!