Used 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

hope its not a lemon
By vin

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Just purchased brand new rabbit 2009 5 min after leaving dealership check engine light goes on when trying to merge on the highway car lost power pressing gas & car actually slowing down lasted almost a minute not long but very scary just the same. Drove it back to dealership they gave a rented car while they diagnose the problem not a good start especially since its brand new I'm hoping this is the first and last problem..

ride handling leather steering wheel feel xenon headlights

reliability?

Re Knock Sensor issue
By derblederb

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I was looking for a little hatchback. I picked the Rabbit over the Mazda 3 and Imprezza because it was more fun driving, cost less, and is supposed to get a little better mileage. It also got great CR ratings. I've had four people in it a few times and there seems to be enough room. The car reminds me of the civic hatchbacks from the early 90s.

It is pretty maneuverable and responsive like you expect from a little car, but it is really smooth on the highway.

I just had the same problem a couple other people here reported. Just after turning over 600 miles the car started rev-limiting at 3000rpm. Then a couple miles later the check-engine light came on. The shop says the knock sensor needs to be replaced. Not a good sign for a 1 month old car.

Auotbahn Bunny
By roymich

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This bunny is a fun and comfortable ride even at German autobahn speeds (+100mph). The bunny is just as roomy as my '03 Passat and easier to park in Europe's tight parking garages. I had one rough start on a chilly morning (+5F), maybe that Knock sensor acting up, don't know for sure because it cleared itself up in a few seconds. I was soaked getting in once by water pooled on the roof, run-off made it too my arm and leg before I could close the door. Need to be mindful of passenger side rear blind spot.

Heated seats! Fantastic headlights. Intermittent rear wiper. Tiptronic. Jumping Rabbit insignia.

Make 1.4, 1.6, liter and turbo diesel engines for USA. "Golf" models for Euro drivers get twice the mpg!! Passat 1.8T gets 5-10 mpg more, with same power! Clearer front wipers. Amber rear turn signals. More fun exterior color options.

Re Knock Sensor issue
By lawr9349

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have driven 10,000 kms since Sep 2008 and I generally find my Rabbit fun to drive. On 4 separate occasions though I have had the experience of putting my foot on the accelerator and got ZERO response. Fortunately, to date, this has only occurred from idle (ie car was stationary). Having read your review I will take it to the dealership again and ask them to check the Knock Sensor. Thanks

Good handling. Fun to drive. Heated seats.

Ride can be a little rough. Tend to feel every bump. Gas mileage not great.

Highly Recommended
By KellyOConnor

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The Rabbit is a very enjoyable car to drive. I've put 8000+ miles on it so far and find it both comfortable and fun. The torque supplied in the low range is a great change from most newer cars that save the power to above 5000rpms. My wife and I fight over driving this car daily, rather than the SUV we have.

The loads of standard features (sat radio, seat warmers, etc) and the excellent engine.

The doors only lock externally with the remote or by putting the key in the lock; you can't hit the lock button when the door is open. Drives me nuts sometimes. The traction control isn't as responsive on snow and ice compared to other small cars I've driven recently.