Used 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Auotbahn Bunny
By roymich

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This bunny is a fun and comfortable ride even at German autobahn speeds (+100mph). The bunny is just as roomy as my '03 Passat and easier to park in Europe's tight parking garages. I had one rough start on a chilly morning (+5F), maybe that Knock sensor acting up, don't know for sure because it cleared itself up in a few seconds. I was soaked getting in once by water pooled on the roof, run-off made it too my arm and leg before I could close the door. Need to be mindful of passenger side rear blind spot.

Heated seats! Fantastic headlights. Intermittent rear wiper. Tiptronic. Jumping Rabbit insignia.

Make 1.4, 1.6, liter and turbo diesel engines for USA. "Golf" models for Euro drivers get twice the mpg!! Passat 1.8T gets 5-10 mpg more, with same power! Clearer front wipers. Amber rear turn signals. More fun exterior color options.

Re Knock Sensor issue
By lawr9349

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have driven 10,000 kms since Sep 2008 and I generally find my Rabbit fun to drive. On 4 separate occasions though I have had the experience of putting my foot on the accelerator and got ZERO response. Fortunately, to date, this has only occurred from idle (ie car was stationary). Having read your review I will take it to the dealership again and ask them to check the Knock Sensor. Thanks

Good handling. Fun to drive. Heated seats.

Ride can be a little rough. Tend to feel every bump. Gas mileage not great.

Highly Recommended
By KellyOConnor

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The Rabbit is a very enjoyable car to drive. I've put 8000+ miles on it so far and find it both comfortable and fun. The torque supplied in the low range is a great change from most newer cars that save the power to above 5000rpms. My wife and I fight over driving this car daily, rather than the SUV we have.

The loads of standard features (sat radio, seat warmers, etc) and the excellent engine.

The doors only lock externally with the remote or by putting the key in the lock; you can't hit the lock button when the door is open. Drives me nuts sometimes. The traction control isn't as responsive on snow and ice compared to other small cars I've driven recently.

Knock Sensor issue
By scoutandhuck

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I just got my 2009 Rabbit 3 weeks ago and I mostly love it. It has a cozy feel, the dash is easy to use, the lights are distinct and easy to read, and it handles nicely, even in snow (which we've had about every day since I got it). It has a jaunty overall feel and I am quite pleased overall. The sales staff was also really informed and helpful.

Heated seats are divine, a/c in glove box will likely be a favorite in summer. I find the space ample and the seats comfortable. I like the defrosting rear view mirrors.

My knock sensor went out yesterday, 3 weeks after purchase. At 3k rpm I could push accelerator to the floor and get ZERO response. They are replacing it, but it worries me. Is this a problem for others and will it be resolved quickly? Wish it had better mileage.

I love my bunny!
By Muddy Shores

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The best way to describe the Rabbit is: solid. The steering and braking are nicely weighted; the doors and hatch make a nice "thunk" when closed; acceleration is smooth and strong. Spacious for a compact car.

Acceleration, sunroof, Sirius (I was surprised how much I liked this), great feel when driving. Also...how did I ever live without a hatch?

Larger glovebox and armrest storage. Audio controls on the steering wheel.