2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:
Thousands spent for New transmission @ 79K
By milkman128 on 06/07/14 09:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The fuel economy and quality of the drive train are the biggest downer for me. It has good pep to its step and handles incredibly well. Although with my Transmission failing so early I worry about the power train quality. It looks pretty inside and out, handles very well but doesn't appear to have the longevity dynamic.

VW could have done better
By Hudi on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The exterior of this car is quite nice, following the the line of the Golf. The interior is very well designed and finished much better than other cars in the class. The car is much roomier than it seems, the legroom and headroom in the back is great. The seats are poorly designed without proper lumber support that's why I'm rating it low. The ride is very nice, the suspension is just right. Thanks to the multilink suspension in the back, the car corners like no others. The engine is the biggest flaw of this car, it's not powerful enough but the gas millage is not that great. I wonder why they didn't install a better European engine with similar power but better fuel millage.

2009 VW Rabbit with Manual Trans
By HP on 07/02/09 18:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Quiet, competent, handles well, and is fun to drive. Great quality, fit, and finish.

I'm a believer!
By Bossanova on 05/05/09 07:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

When it was time to trade in my old car (a '95), I looked at nearly all of the cars in the $15-20K market. Drove the Mazda3, Vibe, Versa, Matrix, Civic, xD... they all kind of felt the same. I had resigned myself to a functional compact with few features that I could "make do" with; then I drove the Rabbit. WHOA - it was like finding religion. There is absolutely no car in this class that is nearly as fun to drive. Plus even the base model is packed with extras. The interior is refined with quality materials. I got the 2-door 5-speed manual and I love it. I've never owned a VW before, but the Rabbit has definitely made me a believer.

The Thunder Bunny Lives
By conroypaw on 04/20/09 14:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2009 VW Rabbit, after looking at other cars in its class, including the Mitsubish Lancer GTS, Mazda 3, and Subaru Impreza. While I think I could have been happy with any of the other cars mentioned, I truly love my Rabbit. I could not justify the additional price of the GTI for a few fractions of a second faster from 0-60 mph, and the added costs for premium fuel and insurance. The Rabbit will satisfy all but the most power hungry. Fuel economy is mediocre, but a fair trade off for power and performance. The Rabbit has the best build quality, not just in intelligent design, but in the material used. It does not feel like a sub $20,000 car, nor does it drive like one.

Re Knock Sensor issue
By derblederb on 03/30/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I was looking for a little hatchback. I picked the Rabbit over the Mazda 3 and Imprezza because it was more fun driving, cost less, and is supposed to get a little better mileage. It also got great CR ratings. I've had four people in it a few times and there seems to be enough room. The car reminds me of the civic hatchbacks from the early 90s.

Re Knock Sensor issue
By lawr9349 on 02/17/09 18:53 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have driven 10,000 kms since Sep 2008 and I generally find my Rabbit fun to drive. On 4 separate occasions though I have had the experience of putting my foot on the accelerator and got ZERO response. Fortunately, to date, this has only occurred from idle (ie car was stationary). Having read your review I will take it to the dealership again and ask them to check the Knock Sensor. Thanks

Knock Sensor issue
By scoutandhuck on 02/04/09 14:51 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I just got my 2009 Rabbit 3 weeks ago and I mostly love it. It has a cozy feel, the dash is easy to use, the lights are distinct and easy to read, and it handles nicely, even in snow (which we've had about every day since I got it). It has a jaunty overall feel and I am quite pleased overall. The sales staff was also really informed and helpful.

Rabbit Power
By OnceHareless on 12/09/08 09:43 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Just went from an 07 Corolla to the 09 Rabbit. Couldn't be happier. Great performing and sounding engine, nice handling with perfect body roll, extremely solid feel on the highway, fun to drive, roomy, excellent safety features, decent (but not great) stereo, nice transmission, and generally good looks make it a winner. The Corolla is a good, but very pedestrian car. The Rabbit literally blows it away in the "fun to drive" category and comes with all the standard safety features that make the difference.

Fun little car
By Paul on 12/04/08 15:22 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love driving this car. I went from a pickup truck to the Rabbit. I didn't realize what a dog my truck was until driving the Rabbit every day. It's quick, shifts great, handles tight, fast lane changes are easy and smooth. I wanted a Mini Cooper S and the Rabbit gives me that sporty agile ride. I would not trade hp for better mileage. The engine is Great. Took a road trip on Thanksgiving and enjoyed the car. The cruise controls and audio controls were very intuitive and after a couple hundred miles I didn't miss them not being in the steering wheel. Its a very nice wheel so don't not buy the car just because the controls are not in it. You will forget about it quickly enough!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback in VA is:

$134 per month*