Used 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit S Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Thousands spent for New transmission @ 79K
By milkman128

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The fuel economy and quality of the drive train are the biggest downer for me. It has good pep to its step and handles incredibly well. Although with my Transmission failing so early I worry about the power train quality. It looks pretty inside and out, handles very well but doesn't appear to have the longevity dynamic.

Favorite Features

Shifter lights, heated seats, heated mirrors, handling

Suggested Improvements

better quality transmission/better fuel economy

VW could have done better
By Hudi

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The exterior of this car is quite nice, following the the line of the Golf. The interior is very well designed and finished much better than other cars in the class. The car is much roomier than it seems, the legroom and headroom in the back is great. The seats are poorly designed without proper lumber support that's why I'm rating it low. The ride is very nice, the suspension is just right. Thanks to the multilink suspension in the back, the car corners like no others. The engine is the biggest flaw of this car, it's not powerful enough but the gas millage is not that great. I wonder why they didn't install a better European engine with similar power but better fuel millage.

Favorite Features

nice look, very nice suspension and handling. Interior design is top of the class

Suggested Improvements

VW should either install a more powerful or economical engine, the current one is a bad blend. The stereo system is pretty bad as well.

2009 VW Rabbit with Manual Trans
By HP

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Quiet, competent, handles well, and is fun to drive. Great quality, fit, and finish.

Favorite Features

Competent handling, heated seats, fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Six speed transmission. On a hot day, windows can be lowered from outside the car by inserting the key and turning such. This should be handled through the remote control key fob.

I'm a believer!
By Bossanova

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

When it was time to trade in my old car (a '95), I looked at nearly all of the cars in the $15-20K market. Drove the Mazda3, Vibe, Versa, Matrix, Civic, xD... they all kind of felt the same. I had resigned myself to a functional compact with few features that I could "make do" with; then I drove the Rabbit. WHOA - it was like finding religion. There is absolutely no car in this class that is nearly as fun to drive. Plus even the base model is packed with extras. The interior is refined with quality materials. I got the 2-door 5-speed manual and I love it. I've never owned a VW before, but the Rabbit has definitely made me a believer.

Favorite Features

Solid build quality, great handling, peppy 2.5L engine, lots of room (I'm a big guy), red LEDs light the interior at night, easy-to-read gauges, hidden iPod dock, heated seats, adjustable center armrest, rear wiper, chilled glove compartment, defrost for side-view mirrors and back window

Suggested Improvements

Make the 4-door available with a 5-speed manual transmission, provide a center armrest in the back seat on the 2-door, include a MPG dash display like in the 2008 models

The Thunder Bunny Lives
By conroypaw

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2009 VW Rabbit, after looking at other cars in its class, including the Mitsubish Lancer GTS, Mazda 3, and Subaru Impreza. While I think I could have been happy with any of the other cars mentioned, I truly love my Rabbit. I could not justify the additional price of the GTI for a few fractions of a second faster from 0-60 mph, and the added costs for premium fuel and insurance. The Rabbit will satisfy all but the most power hungry. Fuel economy is mediocre, but a fair trade off for power and performance. The Rabbit has the best build quality, not just in intelligent design, but in the material used. It does not feel like a sub $20,000 car, nor does it drive like one.

Favorite Features

Perfectly sized steering wheel and fairly intuitive controls. Excellent gear shift lever. I love the way the gear selector "snickity-snicks" into place with precision with moderately short throws. There's a lot of nice touches like the Gorilla Mat for the trunk, fasteners and the full sized spare!

Suggested Improvements

While cool, the switchblade key / fob combo is big, bulky, and EXPENSIVE to replace. Push button "Start" would be nice. Make the 6-disc CD player MP3 capable option. A center console storage / arm rest would be nice. Replace the seatback adjustment knob with a lever for easier use. Fog lamps?