Used 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Thousands spent for New transmission @ 79K
By milkman128

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The fuel economy and quality of the drive train are the biggest downer for me. It has good pep to its step and handles incredibly well. Although with my Transmission failing so early I worry about the power train quality. It looks pretty inside and out, handles very well but doesn't appear to have the longevity dynamic.

Favorite Features

Shifter lights, heated seats, heated mirrors, handling

Suggested Improvements

better quality transmission/better fuel economy

Amazing car
By lcs_miller

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

i got this car a few days ago and its great! i bought it from carmax. It has 2 slight dents in it. Its jet black and is so amazing to drive. The fuel econmy is lower then most cars like the rabbit but its great!

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if they made it have better fuel econmy. there are several motors likes the 2.5 ltr one that comes in the car

VW could have done better
By Hudi

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The exterior of this car is quite nice, following the the line of the Golf. The interior is very well designed and finished much better than other cars in the class. The car is much roomier than it seems, the legroom and headroom in the back is great. The seats are poorly designed without proper lumber support that's why I'm rating it low. The ride is very nice, the suspension is just right. Thanks to the multilink suspension in the back, the car corners like no others. The engine is the biggest flaw of this car, it's not powerful enough but the gas millage is not that great. I wonder why they didn't install a better European engine with similar power but better fuel millage.

Favorite Features

nice look, very nice suspension and handling. Interior design is top of the class

Suggested Improvements

VW should either install a more powerful or economical engine, the current one is a bad blend. The stereo system is pretty bad as well.

Love it! So cute!
By u2dan

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I am over 6 feet 1 inches tall. Everyone laughed because I am so big in a small car, but there is a ton of room. I sat in the back seat and could easily move around and had leg room! The car is super fun to drive on the highway and great for weaving in and out of traffic. The ride is so smooth and SO quiet, i couldn't believe it. The pick up is great too, very powerful little car. I feel like I am driving around in a nightclub when I got some good music going on.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

I guess MPG, but its a huge improvement from my older 2001 jetta. Almost 500 miles per tank is what I just recently got (all highway).

Not suitable for short passengers
By candle27

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am 5'3 and too short to reach the headrest even in its lowest position. According to the User's Manual and a phone call to VW America's head office, a cushion must never be placed on the passenger seat as this interferes with the airbag system's proper functioning. This only becomes clear after the car has been purchased one has read the manual.Therefore I am at risk in case of an accident and VW says that neither they nor I can do anything about it.