2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:
08 Rabbit Habit
By LuvVeeDub on 03/20/08 13:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

had it only 2 weeks, but driving A LOT. my first experience in a rabbit made a terribly disconcerting metallic rubbing whine when i test drove one initially (with alloy wheels pkg.), but the one i bought had the steel wheels and no such noises. still have quite a bit of clutch pedal travel compared to my subaru outback and am still trying to get used to launching without excessive revving (maybe i'm just a retard) and while in 1st/2nd gears, torque dies around 3500 rpm. i expected more torque since due to 177 lb./ft. rating. shoulda bought the DSG auto trans in retrospect. wished leather seats were available. almost dislocated my left shoulder reaching back for the safety belt.

Fantastic Car overall - I love my Rabbit
By admission on 03/13/08 17:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I drive mostly city in San Francisco, and it handles the bumps just fine. Zips in and out of traffic. 5sp manual is much easier to manage vs. my old 2000 passat 6cyl. Lacking torque just a bit at the very low end, but you can start from 2mph in 2nd if it's flat terrain. Interior materials are fantastic. On mostly city driving with hills, I'm getting 17mpg (but it's San Francisco). I estimate pure hwy at 29, but I got 30 in my Passat V6. Same passenger volume as in B5 Passat! This is ingenious! On reliability: had valve problem - dealer replaced entire cylinder head, and car was in shop for 3 weeks.

Really fun car.
By billbolduc on 03/13/08 09:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I love my new Rabbit. The lease on my 2004 Passat was up, and I was tired of paying for premium gas, so I tried the Rabbit and loved the way it felt. Although it is in a different class (economy vs. midsize), I find it sportier and more agile than my 04 Passat, but it doesn't ride quite as well. The new boost in horsepower gives it plenty of power to get out of the way. It has enough interior room for most needs, although the family would probably be more comfortable in my wife's minivan. The build quality appears to be very good. Overall, another great product from Volkswagen.

Love the Wabbit
By Raymond on 03/06/08 12:04 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought car expecting to like it. Didn't expect to LOVE it. I needed something cheap to insure, and was still fun and good on gas/emissions. This best fit the bill after many test drives of the competition. Couldn't be happier. Value for the buck is truly the key here.

What a Wabbit!
By Phoenix Guy on 02/23/08 16:39 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car is great fun to drive. The build quality is excellent; it has plenty of power and torque, and the manual shifter is butter smooth. I was looking for an economical hatchback that would serve as a city car and also be comfortable on long trips. A hatchback made the most sense, since the most usual passenger is a 100lb. hound. He doesn't mind that the rear windows don't open. Still, with the back seat up, the car has plenty of room for the grandkids. My only complaint is, having found the ideal seat/steering wheel combo, I can't seem to adjust the seatbelt away from my neck.

Love my new Bunny
By Redbox on 02/17/08 02:08 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I just got my new bunny a week ago, I love it. It got its baptism, not by fire, but 8 inches of snow. My previous vehicle was an '00 Tracker, 4WD, and I was concerned about not having the 4WD. I was pleased with the traction control, having not driven FWD for years. Very pleased with everything. I currently have 242 miles on a little less than 3/4 of a tank gas. I think the mileage will be fine. In summary, Farfegnugen!! I never thought I would own a VW.

Nimble and Fun!
By Jiten on 02/11/08 19:47 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought my Shadow Blue 08 Rabbit 2 months ago and driven it 3200 miles. I've already done a 1000 mile road trip and driven my kids to school regularly. I look for reasons to hop in the Bunny and drive. It's really fun to drive and scoots through trafic like a knife through butter. I've driven Toyotas, Mazdas, Hondas and Nissans and while they've been decent cars, nothing comes close to the Rabbit in build quality, interior design, the plethora of features on a base model and best of all the sheer fun factor.

Lots of praise and no regrets
By J Hall on 02/09/08 16:20 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Originally I was looking for an upgrade to a small SUV but couldn't find anything with pep, decent MPG, and a sticker below $25000. So on to the hatches! $20-22k was more in the price range and the Rabbit perfectly fits the bill. This thing has so much ROOM for a hatch. It's amazing. The only roomy complaint I have is that the drivers knees are *slightly* cramped. There is plenty of length, but something feels a little too tight when it comes to the steering wheel and the knees. But that's it! That's about the only complaint. The interior, exterior, ride, zip/power, handling, and features are way beyond the competition. 4door auto, ESP, sunroof, alloys, and 170HP for $20k. Nice.

Love it!
By alena on 01/14/08 10:03 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have always been a VW fan, so I was heart broken when my 97 Jetta was totalled, and I had to make a new purchase. The 08 2dr Rabbit is perfect for me. I find the car suits all of my needs. It's perfect for getting to school and work in the Metro area (great for those small parking spots downtown). I love the interior decor, and am a fan of the change in cupholder size.

What a bargain !
By robert peter on 01/11/08 20:22 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought the car 5 days ago so I can't yet speak for the reliability and the quality. But so far its a great car to own. I bought the car stripped except for the alloy wheels. But stripped the car has just about all I need. The 8 speaker stereo is great. The car rides very comfortable, it hugs the road, and the 5 speed manual is about the smoothest I've ever driven! There is some road noise mainly from the 16" tires as at a full stop in traffic the engine is very quiet. Also the AC/heat tends to get loud when cranked up but hey, the car cost $15K. My biggest problem is with the 2.5L engine is avoiding a ticket!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.