2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:
Good Rabbit
By Steel66 on 10/07/08 18:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is a great car,with a powerful engine.I own the 6 speed tiptronic transmission which matches great with the engine, giving me the feeling that I am driving a more expensive car

A Budget BMW
By umfxc20 on 09/14/08 17:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car is incredible for the money. It has great power, and it's built like a rock (meaning there are NO rattles). The quality of this car is better than any other car you will find for under $20,000 (except for other VW's). The manual transmission is the smoothest shifting transmission I have ever used. I drove 60 mph on my way to college in Maine and got 35 mpg for highway driving, which was much better than I expected. Just a great car, and more VW's will be purchased in my future.

The perfect combination
By chuck54633 on 09/03/08 21:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car is the perfect compromise of all the requirements I have for a vehicle. I wanted something more fuel efficient and smaller than the truck I was driving, it had to be comfortable, fun to drive, and have room for my dog. I looked at every 4 door hatch on the market, especially the fit, versa, and the Astra. The Rabbit is the only vehicle in that group that feels like a real car. It feels like a budget BMW with comfortable seats, an excellent driving position, and a wonderful 6spd automatic. OK like most other people I wish it got better mpg, but you do have to consider the solid safe car you are driving. I'm seeing 25+ mpg in mixed spirited driving. You can do better with practice.

Love my rabbit
By DBLASVEGAS on 08/28/08 09:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The first thing you need to understand about this car is. It's not the most fuel efficient hatchback out there. However it is fun fun fun to drive. If you're like me and performance is important to you, for the price you can't beat it. Drove the Civic lx, ex and Nissan Sentra. Boring by comparison. Nice cars but no power. Suspension is a little soft for me (it rides well though) but what do you want for 16,800 dollars? I have alloy wheels and iPod adapter built in the armrest (with rear seat air vents) trip computer 10 speaker stereo. The 4 door jumps in price to around 20,000 dollars. The Honda dealership wanted around 20,000 out the door for an lx Civic coupe. Rabbit was 18.

Nothing but Problems
By gobills on 08/27/08 10:21 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

It started out being a nice car, but since then it has been nothing but headaches. It seems like one thing after another something goes wrong. 1st off the power windows quit working, and now the check engine light keeps coming on and VW doesn't no how to fix it. All in all this is my 1st VW and it will be my last.

Unlimited Smiles per Mile
By davepete on 08/22/08 13:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've owned my Rabbit now for a little over a month. Each and every day I look forward to the commute to work because the Rabbit is so much fun to drive. No problem merging onto the highway, or passing slower traffic. The ride is firm but smooth, and engine response is immediate. I test drove the Scion tC, Mazda-3, Toyota Matrix, Ford Focus, Subaru Impreza, and Chevy Cobalt. None of them could touch the Rabbit in terms of overall feel, and build quality. If you're looking for an inexpensive "fun" car, don't pass up test driving the Rabbit.

Vunderbar
By JDub on 08/16/08 05:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had the car for about 3 months, and can not say enough praise about it. Very versatile, peppy and an overall amazing car. I have a slightly above average commute, and the mileage isn't bad at all, even in the city. Inside, ample space and comfort makes it a great alternative to an SUV or "Crossover" (whatever that is). Fun little "easter eggs" inside and out make me say, "Well, thats smart".

Great little car
By stephen on 08/11/08 02:29 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've had this car for about 5 weeks and put 2000 miles on it. For the price (under $18k with 170 hp, 6 speed auto & Tiptronic) you really can't beat it. 95% of the mileage is city driving, and I avg 17.9 mpg, which isn't great but I do drive quite aggressively. Overall the car feels quite well-built, and given that I used to manage a valet lot and have driven Audi, BMW, Porsche, Lexus, Jaguar, etc, that is pretty impressive, especially at this price point. In my opinion you are basically getting a GTI at an economy car price - and my insurance is far cheaper than it would be with a sports car. The only downside is the fuel economy, but if you can get past that, this car is a winner.

Wascally fun at a weasonable price
By chromewheels on 08/09/08 18:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

After exhaustive research and test drives, I went with the Rabbit. I bought the 4-door with the manual transmission, which I hear is a combination that won't be available next year. Not to mention I really don't like the looks of the next generation Rabbit. I knew the gas mileage wasn't great before I bought the car, so I'm not all that disappointed. I love the torque, this thing really pulls even from off-idle. The driving position and controls are top notch. I wish the diesel was available when I bought this, would've been a no-brainer. The inline-5 is a weird-sounding engine, not really worth revving up. All in all, I'm happy with it.

Great Practical Value!
By hpowders on 08/01/08 10:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Came from a BMW 545i; and while this is no BMW, it is pretty much fun to drive. Terrific value for what comes standard. Love the Satellite Radio. Driver's seat is more comfortable than the BMW's. Legroom is more generous too up front. Would love a bit more power. Could use larger side mirrors. These create blind spots. Adaptive steering should be optional. I don't care for it. Mileage could be a bit better too. A lot of room in back with back seats folded. My 68" road bike fits in completely when I push the front passenger seat down. I have the car for two weeks and everything works the way it should. My first two fill ups were 24 mpg. The last one was only 22.6. All in all, a steal at $20k.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.