Used 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Great Car
By Chris

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

First, I didn't give any "10's" because something has to be literally perfect. That said, for the money, a great car. It's broken in and the last 3 fill ups have been right around the 30 mpg combined mark. I drive very conservatively and about 60/40 hwy/cty. 5 spd manual allows low rpm shifting as well. 5th gear could be taller for the highway, or a 6th gear would help out too. Car comes standard with a good number of things like remote entry. Fun to drive and well made. I'm coming from a 2006 C-Class MB, so I had high expectations. Seems to have met them so far.

Taller 5th gear or add a 6th gear. Remote entry can act a little finicky at times.

A Budget BMW
By umfxc20

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car is incredible for the money. It has great power, and it's built like a rock (meaning there are NO rattles). The quality of this car is better than any other car you will find for under $20,000 (except for other VW's). The manual transmission is the smoothest shifting transmission I have ever used. I drove 60 mph on my way to college in Maine and got 35 mpg for highway driving, which was much better than I expected. Just a great car, and more VW's will be purchased in my future.

Gas mileage, great engine, comfortable seats, Daytime Running Lights, Great safety features. Just go and test drive one. You'll see!

VW should put better tires on all of their vehicles. The Continental Touring Tires are not good.

Love my rabbit
By DBLASVEGAS

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The first thing you need to understand about this car is. It's not the most fuel efficient hatchback out there. However it is fun fun fun to drive. If you're like me and performance is important to you, for the price you can't beat it. Drove the Civic lx, ex and Nissan Sentra. Boring by comparison. Nice cars but no power. Suspension is a little soft for me (it rides well though) but what do you want for 16,800 dollars? I have alloy wheels and iPod adapter built in the armrest (with rear seat air vents) trip computer 10 speaker stereo. The 4 door jumps in price to around 20,000 dollars. The Honda dealership wanted around 20,000 out the door for an lx Civic coupe. Rabbit was 18.

great power for an "economy" car. 170 hp and 177 torque. i own the 5 speed manual. zippy around town. in town i avg 23-24 mpg. remember i am more a performance oriented driver. keep that in mind with what i've posted for fuel economy. i don't save engine power for a rainy day. i use it.

The fuel economy on the highway on cruise is about 27-28 at 60-63 mph. at 70 your around 26 and above 70 you looking at 24-25 mpg. VW if you read this please add bluetooth as an option to your cars. Had it in my Audi and loved it.

Unlimited Smiles per Mile
By davepete

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've owned my Rabbit now for a little over a month. Each and every day I look forward to the commute to work because the Rabbit is so much fun to drive. No problem merging onto the highway, or passing slower traffic. The ride is firm but smooth, and engine response is immediate. I test drove the Scion tC, Mazda-3, Toyota Matrix, Ford Focus, Subaru Impreza, and Chevy Cobalt. None of them could touch the Rabbit in terms of overall feel, and build quality. If you're looking for an inexpensive "fun" car, don't pass up test driving the Rabbit.

Torque! Also the Multi-function display, interior blue and red lighting at night, comfortable seats, theft deterrent system. Oh, and did I mention Torque!

My only complaint is that when you go around corners, water on the roof drips into the passenger compartment when the windows are cracked open.

Gas mileage-not very good
By Sharon

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

When it was time to get a new car, I was torn between 2 cars. 2008 Honda Civic and the 2008 VW Rabbit. I test drive these 2, and really liked both cars. But time to decide which to get is a pain!! Anyway, emotions got better of me, and so I picked the Rabbit. It has pickup, power and appeal. However, the gas mileage sucks. Literally. I drive on the highway at 60 mph (trying to save $$) everyday, but still get about 25-miles to the gallon. City mileage, forget it. It;'s nowhere close to the sticker mileage. It's more like 9-20 mph. I am gypped and I am not enjoying this car at all. I AM DISAPPOINTED! So there, that's my honest opinion. I should've gotten the Civic. City mileage is 39 mph.

Hate iPod feature in the arm rest. This option is the worst. The design seems wasn't well planned. It's like an after thought design, which was slapped on to make it more appealing to the iPod users. I tell ya, I only used it once, but it was more aggravating than anything. No favorite feature here.

VW should recall all the iPod integrated Rabbits and install a far better iPod integration. The current one is extremely user unfriendly and need more storage room and bigger cup holders. Goodness, I can't even put my sports bottle in it. It's so ridiculous. The wiper system is so flimsy.

• SUV