2008 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:
Simply Amazing
By wedgedgravy on 06/10/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

You can read all the other reviews for how drivers like this car. They are correct, its sporty, fun, quick, and comfortable. Mass production is not art very often but the styling of this vehicle is beautiful. It is a total expression of minimalism. Everything is understated. The lines are beautiful from any angle. The interior is incredibly simple, yet amazingly feature rich. The controls are very simple to operate, basically allowing for full operation using two dials and two levers. The grace and nimbleness this car exudes while exhibiting its prowess are unbelievably sexy. If you are in the hatchback market, save yourself time and purchase this vehicle.

Best vehicle owned- out of 6 VWs
By joeynick on 05/28/08 05:52 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've only had this car for 6 weeks, but already it has shown me the build quality VW is capable of, but has eluded them for years. The fit and finish are unparalleled in any vehicle I've seen under $20,000. It's FAST. You just barely tap the gas pedal and it seems to want to take off and fly. The 170 hp engine (only have 2,500 miles on it thus far) just begs you to wind it out. It seems to have a remarkable similarity in torque to old-school GTIs. I paid only $15,900 for this vehicle (only option added was the $450 ESP program). Looking forward to many pleasurable driving miles.

Fun Little dar
By kd0agv on 05/04/08 18:50 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I just bought this little car in order to make little trips into town. I needed something that was easy on gas. After looking at what's on the market in the 19 to 22 thousand dollar range there was only one choice. The Rabbit is very well built, fun and easy to drive. I was really impressed by the quality and the number of options that came standard. This is a powerful little machine. It tops the market, in other words you get more for your dollar with the VW rabbit than any other car in the price range and above.

08 Rabbit Habit
By LuvVeeDub on 03/20/08 13:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

had it only 2 weeks, but driving A LOT. my first experience in a rabbit made a terribly disconcerting metallic rubbing whine when i test drove one initially (with alloy wheels pkg.), but the one i bought had the steel wheels and no such noises. still have quite a bit of clutch pedal travel compared to my subaru outback and am still trying to get used to launching without excessive revving (maybe i'm just a retard) and while in 1st/2nd gears, torque dies around 3500 rpm. i expected more torque since due to 177 lb./ft. rating. shoulda bought the DSG auto trans in retrospect. wished leather seats were available. almost dislocated my left shoulder reaching back for the safety belt.

Love it!
By alena on 01/14/08 10:03 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have always been a VW fan, so I was heart broken when my 97 Jetta was totalled, and I had to make a new purchase. The 08 2dr Rabbit is perfect for me. I find the car suits all of my needs. It's perfect for getting to school and work in the Metro area (great for those small parking spots downtown). I love the interior decor, and am a fan of the change in cupholder size.

What a bargain !
By robert peter on 01/11/08 20:22 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought the car 5 days ago so I can't yet speak for the reliability and the quality. But so far its a great car to own. I bought the car stripped except for the alloy wheels. But stripped the car has just about all I need. The 8 speaker stereo is great. The car rides very comfortable, it hugs the road, and the 5 speed manual is about the smoothest I've ever driven! There is some road noise mainly from the 16" tires as at a full stop in traffic the engine is very quiet. Also the AC/heat tends to get loud when cranked up but hey, the car cost $15K. My biggest problem is with the 2.5L engine is avoiding a ticket!

Not an economy car
By paul on 01/06/08 13:20 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The Rabbit is fun to drive and inexpensive to purchase. Handling is very good. Acceleration from the 170 horse 5 cylinder is vastly better than the approx 120 horsepower and 4 cylinders of most cars at this price point. Interior space is good compared to the small exterior. From its price and size you might think it is an economy car but it is not. Gas mileage is poor (pathetic 22 MPH after 4 tanks). Dependability ratings are not nearly as good as an Asian car either. If you think of it as an inexpensive sports car you will be happy, if you think of it as something in the class of a bullet proof Honda or Toyota you may be disappointed. Overall I am neither very happy or unhappy with it.

Excellent all around car
By Zandzaver on 11/11/07 12:07 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've had the car for almost a month now and have loved every minute of it. The interior layout is simple, sophisticated, and functional. It is deceptively large on the inside, and very comfortable. The drive is much like an entry level sports car, smooth, quick, and tight. Fuel economy could stand to be a bit better, but then again, you gotta pay to play. Also, I've experienced better than advertised gas mileage on the highway in my car.

Comments on the Rabbit
By blas on 09/28/07 09:49 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The VW Rabbit is a fun little car. For the price that you pay and the options you get, it is amazing. The downside I found is that the manual gets fewer MPG then the automatic (must be because they want you to spend the extra $1075 for the auto) but the manual is a lot more fun. The ride is very bumpy but I have come to expect that from smaller cars. Other then that I highly recommend to any one this car. The price is right and the options (for base models) beat out any other car of the same size.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.