2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:
I couldn't ask for a better first car.
By jdamato on 06/21/10 11:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My Rabbit is my first car and it's a fantastic car. My brother drove it for a year and then handed it down to me for a Jeep. It's really everything I wanted in a car. A good design, amazing handling and performance and very good gas mileage(just what I need for a job that's 22 miles away from my house). I haven't had any major problems yet. The only problem I had was my emergency brake wasn't disengaging all the way and it wore my back brakes really fast.

I knew I made the right choice.
By Steve Rego on 06/01/10 15:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well, I haven't owned it for too long, but I sure bought it for a reason. I wanted a car that was a good combination of looks, quality, performance, practicality, and comfort. This car executes all of these criterion very well. I was concerned with its fuel economy but I read on ways to increase my fuel economy (cruising in the highest gear possible, and being light on the gas, with the exception of my starts, driving 60 on the highway with cruise control enabled), I have been getting 28-30 in the city and about 35 on the highway at 60 mph. I've been getting a combined 32 mpg... good for 464 miles on a tank. It can get good economy if you want it too.

Iam in love
By adam on 09/10/09 21:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

What can I say this rabbit has been a great car I've owned mine for 1 1/2 years and NO problem. People complain about mileage I average 24 city and 30 hwy . Maybe there are some really lead footed people out there to be getting less then 17 city . And the power is great for this type of car NO its not like a V8 camaro nor a V8 mustang but peppy enough ,if I wanted power I would have bought a V8 car. As far as price goes you cant get a better car for it. A friend just bought a 09 civic EXL great car but cost over $21,000 and mine has more room . My friends are impressed with the room this car has. The car I had before was a volvo960 wagon and the rabbit has more leg room.I will buy another one

vw convert
By remingtone on 03/15/09 20:39 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned a lot of cars. I used to love rwd cars and trucks and hated fwd. I love my rabbit. The interior is way better than what my friends have. It looks great, especially with my optional 5 spoke Gray wheels which sets off the look of the car. The drivers door came off set and scratched the paint, warenty fixed that in 2 days. I don't understand the brakes, every car I have owned gets brake dust all over the front wheels but on this car it gets dust on the rear wheels. I was really hard on them a couple times to see what they are capable of and the rear brakes got so hot I could light a cigarette off it. I don't understand it but I haven't had a problem with them yet.

Wonderful Car
By fajardog on 03/09/09 09:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Having driven the wheels off my 1991 Toyota Tercel (200k miles) I really wanted a new car. I can't believe what you get for the money. Features that would be extra on any other car are standard on my Rabbit. The only option I got was the i-pod adapter. Everything else, cruise, power windows/locks, air-con and more were standard. I love the sound of the engine and I think it has plenty of power. I wish it got a little better gas mileage, but it's not too bad. I'm leasing the car now, but I think that when the lease is up and the new version comes out I'm going to buy it. As long as they keep this up I'll be a VW customer from now on.

Great Car
By Chris on 10/24/08 14:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

First, I didn't give any "10's" because something has to be literally perfect. That said, for the money, a great car. It's broken in and the last 3 fill ups have been right around the 30 mpg combined mark. I drive very conservatively and about 60/40 hwy/cty. 5 spd manual allows low rpm shifting as well. 5th gear could be taller for the highway, or a 6th gear would help out too. Car comes standard with a good number of things like remote entry. Fun to drive and well made. I'm coming from a 2006 C-Class MB, so I had high expectations. Seems to have met them so far.

A Budget BMW
By umfxc20 on 09/14/08 17:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car is incredible for the money. It has great power, and it's built like a rock (meaning there are NO rattles). The quality of this car is better than any other car you will find for under $20,000 (except for other VW's). The manual transmission is the smoothest shifting transmission I have ever used. I drove 60 mph on my way to college in Maine and got 35 mpg for highway driving, which was much better than I expected. Just a great car, and more VW's will be purchased in my future.

Love my rabbit
By DBLASVEGAS on 08/28/08 09:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The first thing you need to understand about this car is. It's not the most fuel efficient hatchback out there. However it is fun fun fun to drive. If you're like me and performance is important to you, for the price you can't beat it. Drove the Civic lx, ex and Nissan Sentra. Boring by comparison. Nice cars but no power. Suspension is a little soft for me (it rides well though) but what do you want for 16,800 dollars? I have alloy wheels and iPod adapter built in the armrest (with rear seat air vents) trip computer 10 speaker stereo. The 4 door jumps in price to around 20,000 dollars. The Honda dealership wanted around 20,000 out the door for an lx Civic coupe. Rabbit was 18.

Unlimited Smiles per Mile
By davepete on 08/22/08 13:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've owned my Rabbit now for a little over a month. Each and every day I look forward to the commute to work because the Rabbit is so much fun to drive. No problem merging onto the highway, or passing slower traffic. The ride is firm but smooth, and engine response is immediate. I test drove the Scion tC, Mazda-3, Toyota Matrix, Ford Focus, Subaru Impreza, and Chevy Cobalt. None of them could touch the Rabbit in terms of overall feel, and build quality. If you're looking for an inexpensive "fun" car, don't pass up test driving the Rabbit.

Gas mileage-not very good
By Sharon on 06/15/08 04:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

When it was time to get a new car, I was torn between 2 cars. 2008 Honda Civic and the 2008 VW Rabbit. I test drive these 2, and really liked both cars. But time to decide which to get is a pain!! Anyway, emotions got better of me, and so I picked the Rabbit. It has pickup, power and appeal. However, the gas mileage sucks. Literally. I drive on the highway at 60 mph (trying to save $$) everyday, but still get about 25-miles to the gallon. City mileage, forget it. It;'s nowhere close to the sticker mileage. It's more like 9-20 mph. I am gypped and I am not enjoying this car at all. I AM DISAPPOINTED! So there, that's my honest opinion. I should've gotten the Civic. City mileage is 39 mph.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.