2008 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:
Excellent Car
By brian1121 on 02/11/14 18:44 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new when I was 16, for just under $16,000 and haven't looked back since. It's pushing 7 years and over 100,000 miles now and no problems at all. Changing the oil every 10k miles and changing brakes as needed I'm sure helped the quality remain top-notch. Quick enough for getting around town along with decent fuel economy, however I wish the mpg were a little better.

The Car or Me
By V WE on 07/30/08 20:50 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have only had it for 5 days and wish I would have got an automatic. The motor seems lazy between idle and 1200 r.p.m.s , so I stall it quite often on takeoff. I have owned quite a few sticks in my life and never had such a problem. I love everything else about the car though. once I am moving it drives great and has plenty of power. I have owned some beetles over the years, a 63, 65, two 66's,a 68 and a 74. I always told my friends, If you can't drive a vw stick you will never be able to drive a stick period. So, is it the car or me ?

What a fun car to drive!
By Harry Lauer on 07/16/08 13:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've had my Rabbit for a little over a month now and the car has been a joy to own. Nice switch from my 2003 gmc 2500 (which i have to have for work as I am a mason contractor). Lots of bang for the buck and the quality is amazing. Much nicer than any of the "other" small cars in that price range.

Love the Wabbit
By Raymond on 03/06/08 12:04 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought car expecting to like it. Didn't expect to LOVE it. I needed something cheap to insure, and was still fun and good on gas/emissions. This best fit the bill after many test drives of the competition. Couldn't be happier. Value for the buck is truly the key here.

What a Wabbit!
By Phoenix Guy on 02/23/08 16:39 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car is great fun to drive. The build quality is excellent; it has plenty of power and torque, and the manual shifter is butter smooth. I was looking for an economical hatchback that would serve as a city car and also be comfortable on long trips. A hatchback made the most sense, since the most usual passenger is a 100lb. hound. He doesn't mind that the rear windows don't open. Still, with the back seat up, the car has plenty of room for the grandkids. My only complaint is, having found the ideal seat/steering wheel combo, I can't seem to adjust the seatbelt away from my neck.

Honda/Toyata guy converted to VW
By VW convert on 01/04/08 02:25 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I am 100% satisfied with my Rabbit. For me, the Rabbit was a perfect balance of economy and performance. I had considered a whole spectrum of vehicles- from a Toyota Yaris to a Mazda Mazda3 hatchback. The VW Rabbit sits somewhere in between those two models in terms of mpg and is competitive with the Mazda3's performance, though I might say the Mazda has better handling. One thing that the Rabbit, and German cars in general, have over any other car I was considering was it's awesome build quality. My Rabbit is a small car and is by no means a tank, but it feels as strong and tough as one. Hondas and Toyotas feel like tin cans compared to VW's. The Rabbit is also very zippy and fun to drive.

Finally, a BMW hatchback available here
By Remsen on 12/28/07 20:55 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I can not believe that VW can make a car with this much substance and performance and sell it profitably for the $15,500 I paid. This car has a similar driving dynamic to the BMW I used to own (that's a high compliment). You look at this car from the outside and think "nice little economy car" and you drive it and think "holy cow, this is a BMW hatchback."

Amazing car for the money
By Marco on 10/21/07 15:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car is absolutely the best buy. The GTI is over priced for the extra hp which, with less money, can be gained. The car is fast and handles amazingly. Although this car doesnt come with rims or the stereo controls on the steering wheel, it has the best handling and speed out of those cars I've test driven and more airbags and crashtest ratings. Plus when you get a rabbit you get to join rabbit owners club.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit in VA is:

$122 per month*