Used 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

I couldn't ask for a better first car.
By jdamato

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My Rabbit is my first car and it's a fantastic car. My brother drove it for a year and then handed it down to me for a Jeep. It's really everything I wanted in a car. A good design, amazing handling and performance and very good gas mileage(just what I need for a job that's 22 miles away from my house). I haven't had any major problems yet. The only problem I had was my emergency brake wasn't disengaging all the way and it wore my back brakes really fast.

I love the 5-speed feel of when you shift and you get that nice little jolt back. My brother's old BMW was a 5-speed and never had that kick of when you shift.

The car is relatively quiet because it has 2-3 mufflers. There should be a 6th gear too because highway driving at 3500 rpm drastically reduces the gas mileage for 35 mpg to about 20-25 mpg.

I knew I made the right choice.
By Steve Rego

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well, I haven't owned it for too long, but I sure bought it for a reason. I wanted a car that was a good combination of looks, quality, performance, practicality, and comfort. This car executes all of these criterion very well. I was concerned with its fuel economy but I read on ways to increase my fuel economy (cruising in the highest gear possible, and being light on the gas, with the exception of my starts, driving 60 on the highway with cruise control enabled), I have been getting 28-30 in the city and about 35 on the highway at 60 mph. I've been getting a combined 32 mpg... good for 464 miles on a tank. It can get good economy if you want it too.

Adjustable Cruise Control, Side Turn Signals, Fuel Economy Gauge on Instrument Panel, comfortable upright driving position.

Engine isn't the best engine. They need to get a direct injection 4 cylinder, like a 1.8 liter, get 170 horses out of it with good fuel economy, requiring only regular gas. This way a regular driving technique can manage a combined high 20, low 30s fuel economy. Center Armrest should be there.

Iam in love
By adam

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

What can I say this rabbit has been a great car I've owned mine for 1 1/2 years and NO problem. People complain about mileage I average 24 city and 30 hwy . Maybe there are some really lead footed people out there to be getting less then 17 city . And the power is great for this type of car NO its not like a V8 camaro nor a V8 mustang but peppy enough ,if I wanted power I would have bought a V8 car. As far as price goes you cant get a better car for it. A friend just bought a 09 civic EXL great car but cost over $21,000 and mine has more room . My friends are impressed with the room this car has. The car I had before was a volvo960 wagon and the rabbit has more leg room.I will buy another one

love the red and blue dashlights ,roomy , peppy , style , love the hatchback. I really like the smart front wipers and rear wipers. ASR works great never lost traction in the heavy snow Ohio had last year.

not a fan of the tail lights . Improve road noise . I also scuff up the drivers door storage pocket getting out of the car .

vw convert
By remingtone

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned a lot of cars. I used to love rwd cars and trucks and hated fwd. I love my rabbit. The interior is way better than what my friends have. It looks great, especially with my optional 5 spoke Gray wheels which sets off the look of the car. The drivers door came off set and scratched the paint, warenty fixed that in 2 days. I don't understand the brakes, every car I have owned gets brake dust all over the front wheels but on this car it gets dust on the rear wheels. I was really hard on them a couple times to see what they are capable of and the rear brakes got so hot I could light a cigarette off it. I don't understand it but I haven't had a problem with them yet.

Single tap auto windows. All my friends love my car and ask me if they can drive it. Dashboard is awesome.

No center arm rest? Give the VR6 back to the fwd even if you have to give up a little bit of handling. V-dub for life. *throws up v-dub gang sign*

Wonderful Car
By fajardog

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Having driven the wheels off my 1991 Toyota Tercel (200k miles) I really wanted a new car. I can't believe what you get for the money. Features that would be extra on any other car are standard on my Rabbit. The only option I got was the i-pod adapter. Everything else, cruise, power windows/locks, air-con and more were standard. I love the sound of the engine and I think it has plenty of power. I wish it got a little better gas mileage, but it's not too bad. I'm leasing the car now, but I think that when the lease is up and the new version comes out I'm going to buy it. As long as they keep this up I'll be a VW customer from now on.

Neat little things that are very thoughtful, like the rear windshield wiper gives a cleaning swipe if the car was turned off and the front wipers were on when I shut the car off. I also love the interior. Everything is so well put together and the materials are top notch for any class of car.

I seem to scuff the driver door with my right foot on exit and I'm really not a fan of the time it takes to unlock the hatch with the remote.