2008 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:
Excellent Car
By brian1121 on 02/11/14 18:44 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new when I was 16, for just under $16,000 and haven't looked back since. It's pushing 7 years and over 100,000 miles now and no problems at all. Changing the oil every 10k miles and changing brakes as needed I'm sure helped the quality remain top-notch. Quick enough for getting around town along with decent fuel economy, however I wish the mpg were a little better.

No More VWs
By real_kadini on 01/22/14 19:50 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This 2008 Rabbit is the 2nd Golf/Rabbit in the family since 2003. The 1st was a 1999 Golf which nickeled and dimed us to death, mostly with lightbulbs, but also other sometimes unbelievable electrical failures. The reliability ratings on the 2006 and up VWs were vastly improved over the previous years, so I took a chance and bought this one in 2010, certified, from a VW dealer with 50K miles, as a graduation gift to my daughter. She couldn't afford to operate it so I bought it back from her with 59K miles thinking it would be a good work car for 3-4 years. WRONG! (continued below)

Great quality, price and reliability
By fuel4thesoul on 07/23/12 13:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have 90,000 miles on my car and it has been by far one of the best purchases I have ever made. The car starts without hesitation, stops on a dime, and has great pick up. VW offers a fairly comprehensive warranty and tends to repair certain items out of "goodwill" even when out of warranty. I never take my car to the dealer(unless it a recall) and have learned how to do every maintenance or repair on my own through the various forums that VW enthusiast keep up to date. This has helped keep my costs down while being able to own a safe German designed foreign car. For those without the ability to work on their own VW I would recommend checking out the prices for services in your local area.

Love VWs
By lupdemare on 02/21/12 12:58 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great car, easy to handle, good in snow with Nokian snow tires on it, very good on gas. Bought it with 60 k miles. Now at 122 k with no repairs. Tires, oil, filters i.e. maintenance only. A couple of bulbs changed. That's all. Used to drive VW Passats, earlier with no major problems. The single issue is Check engine light which is turning on and off by itself. If you want a good VW buy one built in Germany.

Little bargain monster
By Dell_Boy on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

If you want a cool looking fun to drive cheap to run runabout then this is it!! I actually traded down from a 2009 GTI with DSG to my VW Rabbit with the standard automatic and I actually prefer the drive of the Rabbit than I did to the GTI. Power delivery is obviously less but not a huge difference as it has 170bhp which has plenty up and go for me. The car is very versatile, comfortable on long journey's, love the 60/40 split rear seats to give HUGE cargo space for such a little car, 4 door's makes it a good family car with kids and cheap enough to buy out right so I have no car payments :-) I love it!!! You cannot go wrong with this well built European styling little rocket.

Best purchase
By Christina on 08/18/10 07:49 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my third car and by far my favorite. I enjoy everything about this car. You can still fit 5 adults in the car even though from the outside wouldn't think so. I haven't had any issues with the car at all. I take it to the dealership and Im treated like a princess every time I go there for whatever reason it is. Volkswagen overall has impressed with me with their product and service.

I couldn't ask for a better first car.
By jdamato on 06/21/10 11:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My Rabbit is my first car and it's a fantastic car. My brother drove it for a year and then handed it down to me for a Jeep. It's really everything I wanted in a car. A good design, amazing handling and performance and very good gas mileage(just what I need for a job that's 22 miles away from my house). I haven't had any major problems yet. The only problem I had was my emergency brake wasn't disengaging all the way and it wore my back brakes really fast.

I knew I made the right choice.
By Steve Rego on 06/01/10 15:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well, I haven't owned it for too long, but I sure bought it for a reason. I wanted a car that was a good combination of looks, quality, performance, practicality, and comfort. This car executes all of these criterion very well. I was concerned with its fuel economy but I read on ways to increase my fuel economy (cruising in the highest gear possible, and being light on the gas, with the exception of my starts, driving 60 on the highway with cruise control enabled), I have been getting 28-30 in the city and about 35 on the highway at 60 mph. I've been getting a combined 32 mpg... good for 464 miles on a tank. It can get good economy if you want it too.

Amazing car even after 60K miles
By Jiten on 12/12/09 08:34 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Today is the 2 year anniversary of my rabbit. I am in sales so I've put a ton of miles on it already...try 60K. I still get excited getting into the car even 2 years later. This was my first german car after owning pontiacs, chevy (mini van), mercury (villager), honda (prelude and fit), Nissan Sentra, Geo Prizm, Daewoo Nubira and Mazda Protege. Honestly this little rabbit is a whole notch above any of my previous cars. It is so solid, buttoned down and feature rich that nothing else comes close for the price. I had considered the Mazda 3 and Scion Xb but the moment I test drove the Rabbit I was totally hooked. The Germans really know how to make fantastically engineered cars. BUY ONE!!

Great Buy
By Matt on 10/28/09 11:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I get my rabbit as soon as I could order one. I drive through DC traffic on a daily basis and average 25mpg w/ a 5spd. It options that would be seen on cars over 25k.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.