Used 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Excellent Car
By brian1121

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new when I was 16, for just under $16,000 and haven't looked back since. It's pushing 7 years and over 100,000 miles now and no problems at all. Changing the oil every 10k miles and changing brakes as needed I'm sure helped the quality remain top-notch. Quick enough for getting around town along with decent fuel economy, however I wish the mpg were a little better.

Favorite Features

Interior is really top-notch for the price. Compared to Honda, Toyota, even Subaru, the interior is WAY nicer and seems like a notch or two above the competition. The 177lbs of torque are nice too, you can really feel it in the upper rpms. Lots of room in the back seat, too. I'm 6'1 and fit in the back seats comfortably. However, I do recommend the 4 door over the 2. Clutch is really nice too, without feeling overly assisted like the Golf 6 does.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy. The new Tiguans are getting 32 on the highway and my rabbit is pushing 30 if I've got the wind at my back. Not a dealbreaker, but it definitely could be better.

No More VWs
By real_kadini

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This 2008 Rabbit is the 2nd Golf/Rabbit in the family since 2003. The 1st was a 1999 Golf which nickeled and dimed us to death, mostly with lightbulbs, but also other sometimes unbelievable electrical failures. The reliability ratings on the 2006 and up VWs were vastly improved over the previous years, so I took a chance and bought this one in 2010, certified, from a VW dealer with 50K miles, as a graduation gift to my daughter. She couldn't afford to operate it so I bought it back from her with 59K miles thinking it would be a good work car for 3-4 years. WRONG! (continued below)

Favorite Features

Although spared most of the electrical gremlins (the right year passenger window wouldn't go back up from the driver console, and the intermittent wipers had a mind of their own) the transmission developed a penchant for clunking, and worse, getting stuck in 5th gear, sometimes when you were trying to merge into traffic from a stop. VW could, of course, find nothing wrong and wouldn't replace the valve body (which had a service bulletin and warranty extension on it) without a fault code, in spite of there being a lot of anecdotal information that this may have fixed the problem. (continued below)

Suggested Improvements

The car is really a wonderful vehicle. Fun to drive and very practical, but not worth dying for. Reliability continues to be a MAJOR issue for VW. I will never buy another VW and will ceaselessly and tirelessly discourage others from buying them. I took a huge bath on this car financially. Suggested Improvements: Make cars that aren't pieces of crap.

Great quality, price and reliability
By fuel4thesoul

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have 90,000 miles on my car and it has been by far one of the best purchases I have ever made. The car starts without hesitation, stops on a dime, and has great pick up. VW offers a fairly comprehensive warranty and tends to repair certain items out of "goodwill" even when out of warranty. I never take my car to the dealer(unless it a recall) and have learned how to do every maintenance or repair on my own through the various forums that VW enthusiast keep up to date. This has helped keep my costs down while being able to own a safe German designed foreign car. For those without the ability to work on their own VW I would recommend checking out the prices for services in your local area.

Favorite Features

There are many but I would have to say my top 3 are the ability to hook up the car to my laptop to see whats wrong with it, windows that do not pinch your fingers (senses your hand in its way), the auxiliary input, gas mileage on the highways is usually around 28-30 mpg, safety (I crashed into the back of a stationary f 150 at 35 mph and walked away), easy to control bass, treble, and mids with knobs that are clearly in view and labeled and best of all there is cup holders all around (ive counted 6 in my head here)

Suggested Improvements

My only gripe about the car is that my headliner could not take the Miami heat and after 4 years has begun to sag in 2 spots. Although the total area sagging is less than the size of a dinner plate combined, its in my peripheral vision and so it bothers me.

Love VWs
By lupdemare

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great car, easy to handle, good in snow with Nokian snow tires on it, very good on gas. Bought it with 60 k miles. Now at 122 k with no repairs. Tires, oil, filters i.e. maintenance only. A couple of bulbs changed. That's all. Used to drive VW Passats, earlier with no major problems. The single issue is Check engine light which is turning on and off by itself. If you want a good VW buy one built in Germany.

Favorite Features

Handling, gas consumption, power. Yea under 7 sec to 60 miles/hour with 400 miles per tank. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Improve road noise please. Bluetooth would be great with a better stereo.

Little bargain monster
By Dell_Boy

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

If you want a cool looking fun to drive cheap to run runabout then this is it!! I actually traded down from a 2009 GTI with DSG to my VW Rabbit with the standard automatic and I actually prefer the drive of the Rabbit than I did to the GTI. Power delivery is obviously less but not a huge difference as it has 170bhp which has plenty up and go for me. The car is very versatile, comfortable on long journey's, love the 60/40 split rear seats to give HUGE cargo space for such a little car, 4 door's makes it a good family car with kids and cheap enough to buy out right so I have no car payments :-) I love it!!! You cannot go wrong with this well built European styling little rocket.

Favorite Features

Blue dash lighting, interior look and feel, 5 cylinder engine sounds awesome!!

Suggested Improvements

Audio controls on the steering wheel, a trip computer and better fuel economy but am I asking for too much as I already get approx 300 miles to a tank of gas