Used 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

V-Dubbin in my Rabbit
By Atomicbri

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Ok I love this car! There is no doubt about it! It drives and handles excellently. I have the auto box and it is excellent. All around this is a great car for the money. I see a lot of owners here saying they are not as happy w/ the mpg and while it is a bit lower, I will take the fun to drive factor any day! I get about 30 on hwy and overall I have averaged about 27 total w/ mixed driving. Overall have never been to the dealership except for maintenance. My dealership is pretty friendly I live in Chattanooga where the new VW plant is being built and so the dealership there just got rebuilt and is top notch!

Favorite Features

Love the tranny, love the handling and engine pep. Love all of its little hidden features (when wipers are on regular speed and you come to a stop it slows to intermittent... awesome!) Too much stuff to list I like!

Suggested Improvements

Not too many but I would fix the radio, sometimes the bass booms in it which seems to be a common ailment. Also seems to need better brake pads from factory. Wear out fast IMO since I do not brake hard usually.

Great Little Car!
By iRobert1989

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Have owned the car for about a month now and it is GREAT! Not a single problem with it whatsoever. Has PLENTY of pickup on the highway. The brakes are perfect! I love the Euro-styling. Great radio system. Love the 10 speakers and the satellite radio and the ipod aux and the 6 disk in-dash changer. The 6 Speed Automatic is perfect especially in sport or tiptronic mode. The car comes standard with a whole lot which is nice.

Favorite Features

Sport Mode, heated front seats, in-dash 6 cd changer, in-dash Sirius satellite radio, All the VW Safety, SUNROOF!, GERMAN!

Suggested Improvements

Could stand to get better MPG but I chose fun ( Rabbit) over boring and over hyped with slighter better MPG (Prius)

Why do rear brakes wear out so soon?
By Ricardo M. Huerta

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Today I took my car to have a rear braking noise checked at the dealer where I bought it. I knew the problem was with the rear brakes but I didn't figure it to be worn out brake pads and worn metal to metal with less than 20k miles. The front brake pads hardly show any wear at all and now I must spent over $300.00 to fix the problem. Dealer service says that rear brakes wear out twice as fast as the front brakes on this model. I've always known the front to rear wear ratio to be the opposite and more like 3 front repairs for every rear repair. Front brakes handle about 70% of the stopping for most vehicles and are therefore always thicker. I've had other cars so why the quick wear out?

Good car, high operating costs
By christauph

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Almost to 15k miles, awesome handling, awesome braking, decent acceleration (its a heavy car). The clutch and shifter feel great. Overall my experience with this car has been good, but a few build quality issues have arisen. The sheet metal seems to ding easily, I tend to park carefully but have received a disproportionate number of dings in the past year. Rattle started coming from the center HVAC stack at about 8k miles, dealer fixed. The plug for the spare tire compartment came loose and I had standing water , but luckily no rust, dealer replaced. Rear windshield sprayer is cheap, popped off once, dealer replaced. Routine service is EXPENSIVE (syn oil), and difficult to do yourself.

Favorite Features

Styling, high quality interior, boat load of standard features, handling, overall reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Improve fit and finish, better gas mileage (25 MPG in mixed driving, 5-spd Man), lots of high end features but some basic oversights (no arm rest, manual head lights, what gives?)

2007 Fun to own Rabbit
By Thomas Roach

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Great car. Sells essentially complete from factory, no hassle with options. Economy just about as sticker, drives so smooth it really is fun. Super value for money and size.

Favorite Features

Transmission was big buy point and has not disappointed. Shifts effortlessly and quietly. Car is quiet, and seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

A slight improvement in MPG would make this a top seller, Needs to be over 30 MPG highway. Do not like door locks, should all open with one touch on keypad, or with drivers door.