Used 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Most Helpful|
Never a boring car to drive...
By marusik

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Although I don't drive as much as I used to, it's always fun to drive the Rabbit under any driving conditions, rain or shine, either city or highway for long trips or short ones, but especially on twisty roads. The ride is always quite and comfortable... After reading some of the negative reviews about reliability issues on this model, I've got a little bit concern, especially about the life of the brake pads, so I decided to check them out at 20000 miles and I was told that will probably last another 20K miles. Of course brake's life as well as gas mileage are subjective to every driver's attitude and driving styles...

Favorite Features

Love it's responsive and flexible power and the 6 speed auto with the tiptronic shift and sport's mode features. It's nimble handling and secure braking. Overall design and dimensions combined with the practicality of the hatchback. Fit and finish is at the top of it's class.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage is always a plus but without sacrificing performance. Certainly the new Golf diesel is at the top of of my wish list but not so sure if the true fuel cost really justifies the price difference. At least not at today's fuel prices...

Falling in love... again.
By vwlogansrun

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I'm now the daily driver of our 2007 4-Door Rabbit and just absolutely blown-away by it. We've had no major mechanical issues with it, ever. I just had spark plugs and a few things replaced and suddenly it is driving like new. For a car under $19k, the handling and acceleration is fantastic. It is bigger than our previous Golf and more solid overall. The engine, I'm told, borrows from a Lamborghini design. I'm not a racer but this is a quick car. Also room enough for groceries and two kids. A bit tight for a long road trip, but doable.

Favorite Features

The interior is very nice, almost a luxury feel. Audi-like. The red display achieves great visibility on the dash and the controls are well placed. Sound system with CD changer is decent, not going to knock you out. I love that it plays MP3 CDs, so I usually load it up with 6 CDs of 3-4 albums each. That's a lot of music. Seats are comfortable and quite adjustable. I am 6'2" and have plenty of headroom. Sunroof is a must. Alloy wheels give this a bit of style. Handling is exceptional, tighter and more responsive than you'd expect. Makes me wonder what the hype is about the GTI.

Suggested Improvements

There's a weird feature where the bass booms at stoplights. It's bizarre. Otherwise, this is one of the best cars I've owned, if not the best.

this car is perfect until....
By hippo1105

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I wonder if anyone has this problem. This car worked perfect until last year. The car will suddenly shut down with no reason. It has happened for serveral times now. Since my extended warrenty is still good, they suggest me to bring it back to the dealers. However, the dealers can't find any problem, plus charge me $100 for checking it. I tried to call VW customer couples time and told them the problem. They keep asking me to go to the dealer. Sure I have already paid $100 for it, why would I keep paying VW for their faults. I bought it new from the dealer in 2007. Now they just can't provide any service. What is the point to buy the extented warrenty? No more VW for me!

Great for tons of driving
By LongHairGuy240

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I deliver pizzas for a living. This car allows me to do that with ease. It's very fast. I can get from 0-90 in no time, on the freeway of course. It turns very easily, brakes just fine. I drive about 2500 miles a month, so the oil changes get expensive, but it's more than worth it. I blew up two cars because of oil change issues, so I'm being very careful with this one. I'm sure I'll be keeping this car for a long, long time. I'll most likely buy another after this one is finally dead.

Favorite Features

I love the red and blue console displays. They're much easier to see during the day and night.

Suggested Improvements

I agree that it needs some type of armrest, maybe attached to the seats themselves. It'd be nice to have air vents in the rear of the car, but I don't sit back there.

Longest Car I Ever Owned
By smokeymaxwell

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my 2007 VW Rabbit from the dealer brand new in 2007. It was the base model with a manual 5 speed. What an awesome car for the money. It was quick, very responsive, had no bothersome stability control and was fun to drive. At most, I would keep a car around 1 to 2 years. I kept this Rabbit for 5 years because I loved it. The 2.5L engine was strong (I say this because the same engine in later years was de-tuned for gas mileage savings). The car never let me down, never made any weird noises, and was totally reliable. The hatch was convenient to use and fit a ton of stuff. The only thing I didn't like and changed right away was the factory radio. I put an aftermarket Alpine.

Favorite Features

Seats, engine, suspension, driving dynamics, roomy interior, responsiveness, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the radio and it's perfect.