Used 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Most Helpful|
Put it in 'Sport' mode and fly!
By SBC

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Initially, I was drawn to the Rabbit coupe's styling, but its performance has been what's impressed me most since leasing it. In 'Drive' mode, it's gutsy, in a small car kind of way, but in 'Sport' mode, it's a different car! I've had cars with 'Sport' modes before and have noticed little difference. When I put the Rabbit in 'Sport' mode, its performance is similar to the Honda S2000 I used to drive, with better low end torque than the S2000. I have kept up with Porsches off the line in 'Sport' mode, granted they could roast the Rabbit over the long haul, but the point was to see if the Rabbit was a gamer. It is up for any challenge. Good, and powerful, things come in small packages!

Favorite Features

Obviously, 'Sport' and shiftable mode, lane change turn signal, iPod adapter and center arm rest, the gauge and control lights, the VW emblem hatchback lock is clever, and finally, the very best feature, its low price and low lease payments for a bunch of driving fun!

Suggested Improvements

Better radio or antenna (get static on regular stations), keyless entry (had it on my last two cars, really miss it), smaller, sportier steering wheel.

Fun to Drive German Quality
By mikeg

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love this little car, for it gets me to work every day with no problems. It has a sweet sounding 5-cyl. engine with decent gas mileage. Its very comfortable and I moved a lot of stuff into the hatch with the seats folded down. It comes fully loaded and I just added 16 inch rims to mine. VW for life!

Favorite Features

The exterior styling, VW quality, power everything, turning radius, signals in the mirrors, rear wiper, sweet revving motor, good handling, and nice, tight feel.

Suggested Improvements

It should get better gas mileage and a little less wind/road noise would be nice.

Good Car several problems
By Sean Hunt

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Like most VW's the handling and feel is great. It is a heavy car with a large 5cyl engine. It is a loud engine and the Transmission is not properly tuned for the engine. We had the premium sound system that had the base flare problem...i found a service bulletin on the internet and contacted the dealership and they fixed it under the warranty. The transmission does not downshift until it is almost at a stop. So when the car is going 30mph its still in 5th or 6th gear. And it starts sputtering a bit. Also the tiptronic manual shift has a loss of RPM for a moment in second gear after the shift. And we are noticing a slip and clunk shifting move. I think VW will find a problem soon.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission is not tuned properly for the engine...strangest shift feeling in any car i have owned.

What happened to Volkswagen
By goof

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my sixth and last VW. I am very disappointed! The suspension is extremely stiff, jarring, and very jittery. It is impossible to find any comfortable settings for the thinly padded drivers seat. Driving 300 inner-city miles a week is causing me hip and back pain! The electronic throttle programming doesn't seem compatible with the manual transmission. i.e. hard to engage the clutch smoothly. I have driven manual transmissions for 27 years and never stalled so much. I never experienced these issues with the last five VWs I have owned. Since almost all VWs are now based on the Golf V, I am now shopping for a non VW replacement.

Favorite Features

I love all the standard features: heated seats, six disc player in the stereo, airbags, ABS brakes. I opted for the sunroof and 16" wheels.

Suggested Improvements

We are not all street racers, give me a more compliant suspension set up! I would like the seats from my 04 Jetta transplanted to this car.

this car is perfect until....
By hippo1105

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I wonder if anyone has this problem. This car worked perfect until last year. The car will suddenly shut down with no reason. It has happened for serveral times now. Since my extended warrenty is still good, they suggest me to bring it back to the dealers. However, the dealers can't find any problem, plus charge me $100 for checking it. I tried to call VW customer couples time and told them the problem. They keep asking me to go to the dealer. Sure I have already paid $100 for it, why would I keep paying VW for their faults. I bought it new from the dealer in 2007. Now they just can't provide any service. What is the point to buy the extented warrenty? No more VW for me!