Used 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Volkswagen hits the mark
By JTC

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 07 Rabbit 2dr in July and the car is incredibly comfortable, roomy, the engine is incredibly powerful and the overall quality is impressive. I test drove the Mazda3 Honda civic, and Scion and the Rabbit's engineering and quality are definitely outstanding compared to it's competitors. At 2000 miles I have had no problems whatsoever and I thoroughly enjoy driving it. Definitely best car purchase I've made in a while.

Favorite Features

Superior quality, electro-magnetic power steering (awesome), powerful engine, comfort, basically everything.

Suggested Improvements

The inline five's surprising power no doubt will tempt your need for speed, making gas mileage lower than some of its competitors.

Put it in 'Sport' mode and fly!
By SBC

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Initially, I was drawn to the Rabbit coupe's styling, but its performance has been what's impressed me most since leasing it. In 'Drive' mode, it's gutsy, in a small car kind of way, but in 'Sport' mode, it's a different car! I've had cars with 'Sport' modes before and have noticed little difference. When I put the Rabbit in 'Sport' mode, its performance is similar to the Honda S2000 I used to drive, with better low end torque than the S2000. I have kept up with Porsches off the line in 'Sport' mode, granted they could roast the Rabbit over the long haul, but the point was to see if the Rabbit was a gamer. It is up for any challenge. Good, and powerful, things come in small packages!

Favorite Features

Obviously, 'Sport' and shiftable mode, lane change turn signal, iPod adapter and center arm rest, the gauge and control lights, the VW emblem hatchback lock is clever, and finally, the very best feature, its low price and low lease payments for a bunch of driving fun!

Suggested Improvements

Better radio or antenna (get static on regular stations), keyless entry (had it on my last two cars, really miss it), smaller, sportier steering wheel.

Best bang for the buck
By Steve

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Highs: torquey engine, great interior design, amazing spec list standard, cost of ownership is very low. Gas mileage is pretty poor, but if you're concerned about gas mileage you're probably not even going to be considering this car anyway. The 170 ft-lbs of torque is apparent from very low in the rev range, and worth the trade with gas mileage as far as I'm concerned. When compared to everything else $20k or less, the Rabbit shines through.

Favorite Features

The 5-cyl sounds fantastic and is definitely a defining characteristic that sets the Rabbit apart from the rest of the crowd at that price.

Suggested Improvements

The interior fit and finish is great, but random rattles seem to pop up everywhere. Not too worried about it considering that this is still a cheap compact car. The clutch takeup is kind of weird and almost impossible to launch smoothly.

Update for 2intwenty
By 2intwenty

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This review is an update from my initial review 2/1/07. I now have 14,000 miles on the car and still like it. I was concerned about engine noise at first, but this seemed to lessen with the break-in. I like the growl! A few issues: on a couple occasions I've stalled after being in my heated office garage and then driving 5 mins in 40-50 degree temp. outside - stalled 2dif. times - exact same location each time. I have a rattle in the right vent. The driver's side window switches are peeling but dealer is replacing. My upper strut towers/bearing were replaced proactively by my dealer after I mentioned a slight steering noise - this fixed it.

Favorite Features

Design - just a really clean interior and exterior. Seats - very comfortable for me. Engine/handling. Drives great!!

Suggested Improvements

Sounds like there is a flaw in the strut towers, and some dash rattles. Redesign those. Though I've had a few issues, I still like the car a lot.

Getting disappointed
By frankenstrat

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The gas mileage seems great (I average 37-40 mph highway), get up and go is great, love how it handles in rain and snow (with the exception of the wipers pushing water back onto the windshield). If it does rain, you must keep your windows closed or it pours inside. Within 6 months I began having problems with the front end - always seemed like something was rubbing and steering was not as tight. Well after 5 trips to the dealer they replaced the strut mounts, worked for about 2 weeks. After two more trips to the dealer, they are basically replacing the front end - not a good sign after one year.

Favorite Features

Heated outside mirrors, cool dashboard, cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

Windshield wipers need improved to keep water out of my field of vision, body design to allow you to crack windows without rain pouring inside. Front end problems!