Used 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Longest Car I Ever Owned
By smokeymaxwell

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my 2007 VW Rabbit from the dealer brand new in 2007. It was the base model with a manual 5 speed. What an awesome car for the money. It was quick, very responsive, had no bothersome stability control and was fun to drive. At most, I would keep a car around 1 to 2 years. I kept this Rabbit for 5 years because I loved it. The 2.5L engine was strong (I say this because the same engine in later years was de-tuned for gas mileage savings). The car never let me down, never made any weird noises, and was totally reliable. The hatch was convenient to use and fit a ton of stuff. The only thing I didn't like and changed right away was the factory radio. I put an aftermarket Alpine.

Favorite Features

Seats, engine, suspension, driving dynamics, roomy interior, responsiveness, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the radio and it's perfect.

Great car, but starting to fall apart...
By hzahn

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 07 Rabbit from the dealer and it has driven pretty well for the most part. I've had a few problems but nothing too major that I can think of until recently. Within the past couple months I've noticed my check engine light, tail light is out, headliner is peeling off, and the car only has 45k miles on it. It also would randomly stop running during the winter but hasn't happened in a while. I got the battery replaced and it happened once since then. I was hoping to drive this car to the end but I don't think it's worth keeping now.

Favorite Features

intermittent wipers, windows roll down from outside with key, drives really well, comfortable car

Suggested Improvements

seatbelt holder (I have to reach back pretty far to grab it), doors on two door are heavy,

Falling in love... again.
By vwlogansrun

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I'm now the daily driver of our 2007 4-Door Rabbit and just absolutely blown-away by it. We've had no major mechanical issues with it, ever. I just had spark plugs and a few things replaced and suddenly it is driving like new. For a car under $19k, the handling and acceleration is fantastic. It is bigger than our previous Golf and more solid overall. The engine, I'm told, borrows from a Lamborghini design. I'm not a racer but this is a quick car. Also room enough for groceries and two kids. A bit tight for a long road trip, but doable.

Favorite Features

The interior is very nice, almost a luxury feel. Audi-like. The red display achieves great visibility on the dash and the controls are well placed. Sound system with CD changer is decent, not going to knock you out. I love that it plays MP3 CDs, so I usually load it up with 6 CDs of 3-4 albums each. That's a lot of music. Seats are comfortable and quite adjustable. I am 6'2" and have plenty of headroom. Sunroof is a must. Alloy wheels give this a bit of style. Handling is exceptional, tighter and more responsive than you'd expect. Makes me wonder what the hype is about the GTI.

Suggested Improvements

There's a weird feature where the bass booms at stoplights. It's bizarre. Otherwise, this is one of the best cars I've owned, if not the best.

Rascally Rabbit
By brucemip

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this car used with 52K miles on it and a extended warranty for 20K mile, which was a waste. This car has been perfect and reliable since I bought it. I now have 105K miles on it and still running strong and drive the same as the first day I bought it. Regular oil changes every 5K. Went through 2 sets of tires. Added GTI 17's mags. Color is white, black trim and Yakima bike rack with air spoiler, clean, looks real sporty, turns heads all the time. Extremely happy with this car performance, ride & comfort.

Favorite Features

Heated mirrors, all windows down with key, auto locks itself when left unattended for 45 seconds, abs brakes (save me a couple of times) great handling, 5 air bags (safe car) tight German engineering. LED Blinkers on mirrors, excellent Cruz control, Electric steering very easy precise control, Comfortable and smooth at high speeds.

Suggested Improvements

More drivers seat adjustments.

Might Be A Lemon... Or It Might Just Be The Brand
By jen86

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my rabbit used from a Volkswagen dealership in '09, it's an '07 model and it only had 12,000 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. It's now got about 77,000 miles on it, & it's had problems since I got it. This car has had the wheel well fill up with water and seep through my seats ($4-500 fix) a bolt fall out of the engine mount (covered by warranty), the alternator failed at 50,000 miles ($500 at the dealer), the airbag light & the brake pads are worn light (electrical issue) are both on ($1000 to repair those 2 things at the dealer), and the CV joints are shot ($670 at the dealer). I would caution people against buying a Volkswagen if they want longevity in an automobile.

Favorite Features

The hatchback is great if you need trunk space. It's pretty roomy for being such a tiny car. Great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

It's had several electrical and mechanical issues outside the realm of what I would call normal wear and tear, so much so that I don't trust the brand anymore and I won't buy a Volkswagen again. My husband's busted old '03 Honda Civic has had way fewer problems than my much newer '07 Volkswagen Rabbit.