Used 2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Gotta love that 5 Cylinder!
By tay272

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought this car alittle over a year ago and still havent had any mechanical problems with it and I don't see anything going wrong for a long time. Reliabilty issues aren't too much of a concern with newer Vws like this one. This engine is bulletproof and will deffinately last a long time. The car is a blast to drive and with a few mods, becomes much more fun. I just wanna step on it whenever I'm in the car just to hear that 5 cylinder engine opening up. No complaints with this car yet!

Favorite Features

The engine of course! Get the power of a V6 with the mpgs of a 4 Cylinder. Also love the red LED lights that shine down over the shifter at night, a very unique and useful accessory. Stock tires hold the road very well.

Suggested Improvements

The ride height could of been toned down a bit but nothing a set of sport springs can't do. A stiffer rear sway bar would help too.

Very Disappointed!
By Paige

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

First 3 years, I loved the car! It has 127K miles on it now & I have to have the transmission rebuilt. I am very disappointed in VW. I would have continued to purchase VW and drive them for the rest of my lift until now. There is absolutely no reason I should have to have the transmission rebuilt yet. It should last me to 250K or more with the proper service and believe me I have had it all done. I loved everything about the car but this has totally changed my mind on VW and Audi for that matter or probably anything foreign except Honda & Subaru. Such a huge disappointment. And on top of it all VW wanted to rebuild it for $5150.00. Didn't go that route, no way!

I love driving!!
By crzyrbt

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My fiance and I stumbled upon this great car by pure luck. The first time I drove this car I was completely surprised and wanted more. With a tap of the pedal your off to wherever you may go. Everyday I drive it I find myself saying " I love this car! " It is the funnest thing to drive!! I have a lead foot and its great right off the line. I do have to be careful though, all the sudden I find myself at 80 mph not even knowing it. The car could get better gas mileage all around but its really not too bad. With the way I drive sometimes it doesn't quite matter.I love this car!!

Favorite Features

Hatchback door hatch ( vw symbol ), interior, when you stink in the key and can put the windows up or down, blue lighting with car, lite vanity mirrors, comes with a full spare, sound system

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, they get pretty stiff after a short road trip

Runs Like A Bunny
By og4itg

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Unlike past VWs, this Rabbit with 48,000 miles, has been totally trouble- free and rock solid. No problems or rattles and still as enjoyable to drive now as on day one. Spirited driving has yielded average 25.8 mpg. (range 19.8 to 32.2) Reliability problems are in the past so I have no choice but to stay in the VW family

Favorite Features

Wonderfull steering feel, and adequate power provide the (farfignuten) fun to drive feeling, missing in most smaller cars. Hatchback is way to useful to ever consider a sedan again.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control feature is logical, but location has me grabbing the directional stick by mistake at times (and versa visa). Just put it on the steering wheel where it belongs. Sound system OK but no Monsoon.

FARFEGNUGEN
By Prams

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Great car! Very few problems since off the lot new, now 30K miles. Way fun to drive, starts fine at -30F, load the big dogs, the bikes, the stuff, and go. Get about 30mpg highway, mid 20's city. Haven't gone thru any brake pads yet and am overdue for speeding tickets.

Favorite Features

Good cargo space for vehicle class, handles and looks way fine. Great factory tires, nice sound, huge washer fluid reservoir, decent in snow for a lighter vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Headrests were faulty and cheap. Secondary cooling fan thermostat went poof last summer under warranty. The lower engine cover/oil filter are a bit of a chore without a lift.