2008 Volkswagen R32 Consumer Review: Still Great at 25K Miles

2008 Volkswagen R32 - Consumer Review

Still Great at 25K Miles
By J D Sharp on

2008 Volkswagen R32 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I wrote about my car shortly after receiving it in 2007. Here we are nearly two years later, and I still love it. No mechanical problems at all. Gas mileage is still mediocre (25mpg at very best, all highway driving, more like 18 in the city . . .) but understandable when there's so much power on tap. Seats continue to be completely supportive even after two years. Just wanted to chime in and say that the enthusiastic glow that so many of us feel right after buying a car has continued with this one. My favorite car I have ever owned, and that includes a long string of Audis, BMWs and various Japanese makes. No regrets whatever.

DSG is a complete winner. Great seats. Rain Sensing wipers. Automatic climate control with DUAL button so you can only adjust one set of controls if you want. Oversize brakes. All wheel drive provides much better balance and cornering than the comparable GTI.

Taller sixth gear, or better yet, add a seventh with true overdrive. Too many revs at 80 MPH (which of course I never drive, since that would exceed the speed limit.)