2008 Volkswagen R32 Consumer Review: fun but could have been better

2008 Volkswagen R32 - Consumer Review

fun but could have been better
By AJ on

2008 Volkswagen R32 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

The R32 is quick and fun to drive, but I expected more improvements over my 2004 R32. I think the 04 had a better exaust and certainly got better mileage. The seats seem cheap compared to the 04 which had stitching on the R. It just seems VW did less than was expected after having an 04. Maybe the GTI has gotten far better and the R32 needed to excell even more. I also had an 20T GTI with DSG. Compared to other cars the R32 is above the crowd.

Finally automatic lights and wipers. Driving across the turnpike in a rainstorm with temps nearing freezing, there was no need to adjust the wipers as weather changed. Sport mode on the tranny is pure fun. The lights are a great improvement over the 04. The steering wheel audio controls are great.

Needs tilting curb view mirrors and power seats. My 03 Jetta GLX had them, why cheap out now? Exaust could be far better like the 04. Direct injection like the 20T. Better fuel economy like the 04 had. I may sound critical, but have come to expect vw to deliver features that suprise.