Used 2008 Volkswagen R32 Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Automated Manual - (45 reviews )

3 mo after driving car - my impressions.
By z0mb13

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

So I finally jumped overboard and got the car ive always wanted. It put me in the hole but I was able to get it. Perma smile when driving is not uncommon. Much undesired attention from kids. Plenty of HP/TQ as expected. I had an 02 VR and fell in love with the exhaust note, the R32 has not let me down.

Seats, power, design, rear exhaust, nav system, exhaust, AWD. I could go on and on. 2 year VW certified warranty.

When stopped on a hill the DSG doesnt engage so I roll back then clunk into gear. Customer Service Fail. VWoA needs to hold the dealerships to the highest standars. This may be the only reason why I get rid of this car.

42K follow up
By CA

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

Follow up from Sep 2008 when I bought it w/ 12k miles. I now have 42k on this car and it remains rock solid. Over time I've gotten very used to getting the most out of it without killing gas mileage. It's best on long twisty road and takes 20 mph S-turns at 60-70 mph w/o even thinking about it and is so much fun to drive. I get 23 combined and 26 highway MPG but still think it needs a taller 6th gear. It's hard to find a better AWD car. AWD and DSG maintenance is spendy and only had a strut go bad. With all that said I wonder what it would do with an additional 100 hp.

Engine, Torque, Interior Styling, ride, DSG is quick in sport and triptronic

Nav, Ipod, Bluetooth, paddle shifters are hard to reach during turns. Fog lamps, What it could do with 350 HP?

From BMW to R32 and Back
By crooner12

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I purchased a 2008 R32 back in January. It was a great little car, had good performance thanks to the AWD, and sounded magnificent with the dual exhaust. Coming from an '06 Z4 3.0i, it was a totally different experience. Not as luxurious and not has sporty handling, but it felt just as fast. Ultimately, I missed the convertible and didn't think the "boy-racer" styling fit my personality, so I traded it in for a BMW 135i convertible.

The exhaust note was AMAZING! For being stock, it easily had the best sounding exhaust of any non-V8 car south of $60K. The AWD was nice too, especially in putting the power down out of a turn.

Fuel economy really suffered with the super short gearing. I'd be turning over 3K rpm in 6th gear. Also, the DSG was a little clunky at low speeds and from a stop. Weight really hurt the car performance wise. Also, the gas tank could be a bit larger to help the range.

Real recalls
By Echo346

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

After a year and a half this vehicle has had THREE major recalls. One required dropping the entire fuel tank (read nightmares involved with this on VW forums). I will not go into my adventure with this except to say VW service is questionable. Now the DSG transmission (mine is starting get "clunky") just got the latest recall. Be careful when buying a used one. Ergonomics are strange. AUX input in glove box, Bluetooth controls on steering wheel, however, Bluetooth is not an option (dealer will not tell you this unfortunately), cruise control is a switch on turn indicator (should have put it where the worthless phone button is on the steering wheel), paddle shifters are small.

Styling, F1 shaped steering wheel are fantastic and the double clutch was awesome until time starts to catch up with it (just to many little gears in a sub 35000 car). AWD, brakes and handling great for such a heavy car. Lots of space with back seats down and one of the best exhaust notes ever.

You will average about 18 MPG if you drive this car like you want to. Service is incredibly expensive and VW dealerships are unreliable. Recalls (and follow through) ruin any fun you can have with this car. An incredible headache for a "limited edition" vehicle.

R32 Senior
By JoneR32

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

Was researching for a sports sedan/coupe with AWD, stability control, full air bags & side curtains, and being reviewed as quite respectable in the performance, safety, and handling categories-- safety being first. I found a certified low mileage [6650] R32 in Naples, FL via Autotrader and negotiated a price over the phone-- $23900 + tax & title. Have since added 8000 miles, and they were all driven with a smile on my face. The R32 is a great daily "sports" driver, esp. in city traffic due to the excellent DSG tranny which is left in auto 100% of the time, per the tests that one can't shift as fast as this tranny in manual mode/paddle shifter or console. 21.5 MPG overall--26+ MPG hwy.

DSG tranny--invented by VW; excellent fit & finish; muffler tone via the short-bank 3.2L V6 engine; heated seats w/ 1--5 heat range; center console adjustable arm rest; good passenger rear space; red night dash lights; auto-load adjustable HID lights w/ DRL controls; turn signals in side mirrors.

To improve the long-drive, 2HR + ,hardness in driver seat rear bottom, possibly due to heat elements [Cadillac CRT had same problem, and corrected it]. Next model 17" wheel option for drivers in winter areas w/ chuck holes. Better & more hatch hangers for groceries. Standard bluetooth