2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Automated Manual - (45 reviews )
3 mo after driving car - my impressions.
By z0mb13 on 04/29/12 08:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

So I finally jumped overboard and got the car ive always wanted. It put me in the hole but I was able to get it. Perma smile when driving is not uncommon. Much undesired attention from kids. Plenty of HP/TQ as expected. I had an 02 VR and fell in love with the exhaust note, the R32 has not let me down.

42K follow up
By CA on 06/12/10 16:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

Follow up from Sep 2008 when I bought it w/ 12k miles. I now have 42k on this car and it remains rock solid. Over time I've gotten very used to getting the most out of it without killing gas mileage. It's best on long twisty road and takes 20 mph S-turns at 60-70 mph w/o even thinking about it and is so much fun to drive. I get 23 combined and 26 highway MPG but still think it needs a taller 6th gear. It's hard to find a better AWD car. AWD and DSG maintenance is spendy and only had a strut go bad. With all that said I wonder what it would do with an additional 100 hp.

From BMW to R32 and Back
By crooner12 on 05/11/10 06:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I purchased a 2008 R32 back in January. It was a great little car, had good performance thanks to the AWD, and sounded magnificent with the dual exhaust. Coming from an '06 Z4 3.0i, it was a totally different experience. Not as luxurious and not has sporty handling, but it felt just as fast. Ultimately, I missed the convertible and didn't think the "boy-racer" styling fit my personality, so I traded it in for a BMW 135i convertible.

Real recalls
By Echo346 on 12/29/09 15:27 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

After a year and a half this vehicle has had THREE major recalls. One required dropping the entire fuel tank (read nightmares involved with this on VW forums). I will not go into my adventure with this except to say VW service is questionable. Now the DSG transmission (mine is starting get "clunky") just got the latest recall. Be careful when buying a used one. Ergonomics are strange. AUX input in glove box, Bluetooth controls on steering wheel, however, Bluetooth is not an option (dealer will not tell you this unfortunately), cruise control is a switch on turn indicator (should have put it where the worthless phone button is on the steering wheel), paddle shifters are small.

R32 Senior
By JoneR32 on 12/15/09 22:10 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

Was researching for a sports sedan/coupe with AWD, stability control, full air bags & side curtains, and being reviewed as quite respectable in the performance, safety, and handling categories-- safety being first. I found a certified low mileage [6650] R32 in Naples, FL via Autotrader and negotiated a price over the phone-- $23900 + tax & title. Have since added 8000 miles, and they were all driven with a smile on my face. The R32 is a great daily "sports" driver, esp. in city traffic due to the excellent DSG tranny which is left in auto 100% of the time, per the tests that one can't shift as fast as this tranny in manual mode/paddle shifter or console. 21.5 MPG overall--26+ MPG hwy.

Still Great at 25K Miles
By J D Sharp on 06/04/09 12:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I wrote about my car shortly after receiving it in 2007. Here we are nearly two years later, and I still love it. No mechanical problems at all. Gas mileage is still mediocre (25mpg at very best, all highway driving, more like 18 in the city . . .) but understandable when there's so much power on tap. Seats continue to be completely supportive even after two years. Just wanted to chime in and say that the enthusiastic glow that so many of us feel right after buying a car has continued with this one. My favorite car I have ever owned, and that includes a long string of Audis, BMWs and various Japanese makes. No regrets whatever.

Total sleeper!
By Bio Two on 03/21/09 01:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I tested both GTI then the R32 on the same raod and same driving style. If it was not the price tag, it will be a no brianer R32 is the one. I picked the R32 anyway. This car is super fun to drive. After getting used to the car and start pushing it, I was shocked that how much a $33000 car can do! Especially on wet road, this car car pretty much beat any moving object on the road! If you can totally master this car, you can out run most of the higher power cars on the market even with the only 250bhp. I often play with my co-worker's BMW 335i, as long as there are some turns, he will has a hard time to catch up. The sweetest feature... Lanch Control!!

A TON of Fun!
By travelingman on 01/02/09 21:05 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I bought my blue R32 (with nav) in April and drive 85 miles a day to work. This car is a great commuting car; fun to drive, comfortable ride but a ton of torque at any speed. I have had an Audi S4 and S6 and neither is as fun as this car. The only two things that I have added to the car is a clear bra and a Parrot blue tooth system that integrates directly to to the phone button on the steering wheel. It works wonderfully with my iphone 3G.

The Perfect Hatch!
By Phikes on 11/06/08 00:01 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

Buy this car! The build quality is in Audi territory. The interior is great (steering wheel feels fantastic in hand). The car has grip for days, the body might roll a bit but the AWD goes exactly where you want it. Not to mention one of the best shades of blue ever. And yes it is FAST! The mid range passing power is always right there. I drove both the STI and EVO, they are both faster, but that's the ONLY place they beat the R32. Both the STI and EVO have interior build quality that suggests the occupants were only an after thought.

Fun car!
By 604doc on 11/05/08 11:46 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

This car wasn't even a consideration for me until a friend told me about it. I fell in love with the car on the test drive. It's comfortable on long drives, and just a hoot zipping around the city. It's hard to drive the car "easy", so I'm not sure of the MPG yet.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.