Never too old to have fun
By Doc J on
2004 Volkswagen R32 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)
At 60+ I'm probably not the usual R32 driver but it's been my daily ride for nearly 6 years. I drive it hard and love it. Reliability has been good other than for major transmission repairs at 35,000 and 65,000 miles along with clutch replacements at the same time. I don't think I drive THAT hard, but maybe I push it harder than the average driver. I've heard that AWD vehicles a hard on their drive trains because their wheels can't slip to release strain. Other than that issue a wheel bearing at 70,000 and an instrument cluster replacement under warranty have been the only other major repairs. I've yet to replace the brakes (maybe that's why I have worn out the clutches!)
Favorite Features
Precise transmission shifter; the wonderful Koenig seats (although they get a bit tight on a drive of more than a few hours); ability to blow away most other cars on the road; passing in 4th gear on a 2-lane road.
Suggested Improvements
HID headlights would have been great. I added an Audi TT spare tire (even though it will only fit on the rear).