2004 Volkswagen R32 Consumer Review: Flawless blend of luxury and p

2004 Volkswagen R32 - Consumer Review

Base 2dr Hatchback (3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual)

Flawless blend of luxury and performance
By gvintheatl on

2004 Volkswagen R32 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

A $30k Golf that's worth every penny! A month after purchase in ATL I took a road trip to Salt Lake City. The interior creature comforts and overall driveability were superb on the long sedate stretches of I-40. Cruise control kept the MPG in the upper 20s, not bad for averaging 75-85 mph. On the twisting canyon roads outside of Sandy UT the Goodyear Eagle F1s combined with the awesome AWD performance made the car feel as if it were on rails. And of course I had to take it out to the salt flats to see if the max speed reported by Car & Driver (128 mph) was correct. I was able to attain 135 mph before it maxed out at 5400 rpm. Wow, 8k miles in two months and every one has been a blast!

Koenig leather sport seats, smooth and pure V-6 power and torque, sound of the perfectly tuned dual exhaust (I drive with the stereo off most of the time now), and handling on mountain roads. And with only 5000 R32s in the US I feel like a member of a special and elite group of performance drivers!

No pop-out cup holders like I had on my '02 GTi but they can be installed (see VW Vortex website). Wish Euro- spec HID headlights were an option. The top speed governor sucks but hey, this is the USA. Changing factory tires/wheels to a winter-capable set up would be expensive, glad I live in ATL!