Best VeeDub to Date
By Infrederick on
2004 Volkswagen R32 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)
This is my first VW, but I have purchased 7 smaller Audis since 1975. The R32 is everybit the equal of any of my sporting Audis, including the 225 TT quattro. The interior has a very similar feel to the TT. The engine is powerful but a little too turbine-smooth for my taste. Acceleration lags a bit in the lower rpm range - I prefer the 3k rpm kick of Porsche boxer engines. Even in metallic black the R32 gets plenty of attention from bystanders. Only 1% realize that it is a near- exotic vehicle. Others look at it with an expression of "there's something differant about that VW" This car is certainly the highest performance VW ever bolted together. No warranty work needed in 12 months.
Favorite Features
Value of the vehicle based on performace per dollar. And the resale value is wonderful - in 7/05 most used R32 are being sold at a premium to their original purchase price. Nice that is is asembled in Europe rather than Mexico, etc. It shows int the quality and reliability.
Suggested Improvements
Needs more steering feedback - steering is overboosted and provides minimal "on-center" feel. Engineer AWD with more rear-drive bias as in Porsche vehicles. More mid-range boost would do wonders for this vehicle - engine response of the Boxster S is a great benchmark.