Used 2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen R32 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual - (154 reviews )

Soooo Fun.
By Best Car Ever

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The 2004 Volkswagen R32 is the most exciting car I have ever driven. My dad has a BMW 540i, and I have driven the current BMW M3 and I can still say I like my car better. It corners better, it feels so much more nimble overall. The M3 felt stiff.. even if it can rocket you to 60 in a time that scares the heck out of me. The R32 is a little weak at high speeds, but it is very good around town. The tires are phenominal. The suspension is great. I've noticed a bit of understeer though. This is a car you can fall in love with.

Favorite Features

The exhaust note, interior, and exterior.. Blue is a hot color, The tires, suspension, and the DRIVE! Its all about the Drive.

Suggested Improvements

Add HID lights. It has too many raddles and squeeks. They are so annoying. And, who couldn't use some extra power?

Sporty with seating for four and a trunk
By Jackson

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the 2004 Volkswagen R32 after taking home a Mazda RX-8 and a Nissan 350Z. I loved both of them, but they each had their drawbacks, the Wankel engine in the RX- 8 and no storage and no back seat in the 350Z. The R32 fit the bill of what I was looking for in a car. The AWD paired up with the 3.2L V6 make this car thoroughly enjoyable. I drive a lot, and this car is very comfortable on the interstates, and in town is comfortable as well. Its exhaust note is mentioned often, and for good reason. I wanted a car that was fun to drive, but could carry my girlfriend, two dogs, and camping gear. It also needed to allow me to appear responsible. All in all, this car is a dream.

Favorite Features

The racing seats, rain sensitive windshield wipers, all wheel drive, exhaust note, and 6-speed transmission.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem I am having with the car is the passenger seat release on the shoulder keeps coming off, and I have had it worked on twice. I don't see any room for improvement.

Best all weather car ever
By Dorothy Niss

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The 2004 Volkswagen R32 is a keeper. WIth Nokian tires it handles superbly in all weather conditions: snow, ice, rain. My R32 has received standing ovations from fellow concert-goers and a great amount of interest from VW fans. It's my all-time favorite car.

Favorite Features

The handling, all-wheel drive, horsepower, and looks.

Suggested Improvements

Make it even faster.

Functional Fun
By BigWoo

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I was hoping for a less expensive vehicle, but the test drive of my 2004 Volkswagen R32 sold me. The car rides like it's on rails even when I punch it, but has a nice refinement to it as well. I'm driving it in the winter in the Finger Lake area right now, and it handles better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee in the snow! However, I can't wait to pop the summer wheels back on and open up the windows and throttle! It's sporty but classy, fast but not furious. Even though I was looking for a smaller car payment, I still get giddy every time I sit behind the wheel. I would highly recommend this car without any reservations. If you want Golf fuel efficiency however, stick with the TDI.

Favorite Features

I love the "burble" in upper gears when the exhaust note changes; racing seats; lack of tacky touches like an obnoxious oversized spoiler; all the subtle touches. I'll be keeping my eyes open for the next gen R32 (or R36?).

Suggested Improvements

Better headlights; electric seat adjustment; a navigation consol like the Euro version has; even more of a slightly different body styling to set it apart from the GTI. Generally, not much ... I'm incredibly pleased with the way it is.

2004 Volkswagen R32
By rob

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The Volkswagen R32 is an excellent vehicle. The only major issues that I have had with it are the lack of a facotory turbo option, the rims are too heavy, and the car needs HIDs.

Favorite Features

I love the power and the fact that it is AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Add a turbo option from the factory, HIDs, and no speed governor.