Used 2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual - (156 reviews )

2004 Volkswagen R32
By Maybaby74

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Wow, after owning a fixed-up, 480 hp 300ZX turbo, I'd never thought I would find another car to meet my performance needs! Everything on the R32 is top notch! The power delivery is silky smooth and linear! it's not as fast as some of the import turbos, but its more buttoned down, mature, and easy to live with. The handling/AWD is incredible and the tranny is perfect. The interior is very nice and the exterior hints (not screams) about the capabilites of the car. It is extremely stable both at high speeds and around curvy roads...what a car. And, there are only 5,000 in all of US...Ferrari exclusivity! This car is way more fun then the Z I used to own. and oh...did I mention the exhaust note!

Exhaust note, linear power delivery, AWD, Euro-sleeper design, features/ameneties

Could use a little more power...nothing that can't be fixed with an aftermarket turbocharger:)

I still smile at it
By VWnutAZ

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I still love driving my car. The engine sound and the handling are excellent. I have had a lower suspension installed (which also weighs less); love it. It's really nice to have the Golf (GTI) get a great engine and suspension (especially independent rear) that put it back on top of the list of small performance cars. I think Volkswagen's efforts to push their products upscale is a success.

The seats, the stereo, the engine, and the solid feel of the interior.

Tire pressure sensors would have been nice; especially since there is NO spare tire. Electric seats with memory would be nice to help getting in and out of the high bolsters of the seats. Shedding some of the weight or more horsepower would be nice; more performance. A more performance oriented clutch

Volkswagen R32
By jon

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The Volkswagen R32 is the perfect car for me to take out the clients and get compliments from any age group and sex. It has been fun to drive and the seats are sporty, comfortable and attractive. The steering wheel is the best that I have felt.

The exhaust note, seats, steering wheel and fun factor.

Add a little more power, a navigation system, Xenons headlights, and lowering springs.

High bang for buck quotient.
By Jeremy

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Fantastic car. Slightly more refined than WRX and Evo with just about matched performance. I have to laugh at those who stated they wish it has "more power." It's a hatchback with 241 bhp for crying out loud! Just shows some people are never satisfied. I am. I was actually thinking of a 350Z or a Mustang GT before buying but this car is so much more distinctive. I think this car was only in production 1 year which I like. German build quality remains unmatched in my eyes. I plan to keep as long as I can. I get punk kid racers trying to mess with me sometimes, but that's ok.

Motor, exhaust, AWD, seats, wheels, and steering wheel. I appreciate the low "gimmick" factor of the car. With the windows down and the exhaust purring on a twisty road, you'd swear you were in a car that costs twice as much.

Strangly, the front seat release levers have a tendency to pop out of the seat when you use them. The rest of the car is built so well, that it was a surprise. They pop right back into place if this should happen and are functional, still weird. Really the only quirk that I've found. Not bad

Best VeeDub to Date
By Infrederick

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first VW, but I have purchased 7 smaller Audis since 1975. The R32 is everybit the equal of any of my sporting Audis, including the 225 TT quattro. The interior has a very similar feel to the TT. The engine is powerful but a little too turbine-smooth for my taste. Acceleration lags a bit in the lower rpm range - I prefer the 3k rpm kick of Porsche boxer engines. Even in metallic black the R32 gets plenty of attention from bystanders. Only 1% realize that it is a near- exotic vehicle. Others look at it with an expression of "there's something differant about that VW" This car is certainly the highest performance VW ever bolted together. No warranty work needed in 12 months.

Value of the vehicle based on performace per dollar. And the resale value is wonderful - in 7/05 most used R32 are being sold at a premium to their original purchase price. Nice that is is asembled in Europe rather than Mexico, etc. It shows int the quality and reliability.

Needs more steering feedback - steering is overboosted and provides minimal "on-center" feel. Engineer AWD with more rear-drive bias as in Porsche vehicles. More mid-range boost would do wonders for this vehicle - engine response of the Boxster S is a great benchmark.