2004 Volkswagen R32 Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen R32 - Consumer Reviews

2004 R32 Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual - (154 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

1 sweet R32
By 4motion4me

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I was looking into buying a Subaru WRX STI, but after two test drives in each and reading as many Road&Track,Car&Driver,and any other info I could find I desided to go with the R32. I traded in my 2003 GTI VR6 that had 29,000 miles on it. That was a great car but this is a whole new beast. Once you own an all wheel drive there is just no going back. This car handles like a dream, the seats are the best I've ever been in. Cabin is put together very well and the pipes are crazy. The climit control is awsome, heated seats are so sweet on those cold winter days. I live in the central valley of California so these tire are the best. If there was one thing I would change(give me a spare tire)!!!!!

Favorite Features

The great tone of the pipes, seats, brakes,tires,climit control,the 4motion all wheel drive, 240HP,shifter and all the other little goodies....

Suggested Improvements

More power,less weight,spare tire, better head lights,turbo, did I say more power...:-)

The best car I ever drove in my life.
By gemini2

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Don't know what to say, really. I'm speechless about the performance and the looks of this car. I'm falling in love over and over every day I drive the R32. BUY ONE WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!!

Favorite Features

I love the color, I got the blue one. I can't narrow anything to a specific feature I favor. I love the whole car as it is.

Suggested Improvements

Not known at this time.

VW R32: Great bang for the buck
By o2bavr6

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The VW R32 cant be beat when it comes to $:options. The cars it competes against may be faster, but do not come close to the fit and finish and standard options of the R32.

Favorite Features

Quicker than you realize 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, high 13 second to low 14 second 1/4 mile. Quick handling characteristics. Exhaust note that is second to none.

Suggested Improvements

More power. Koenig seats start to wear quickly if your not careful getting in and out. A real spare tire. Lose some weight.

GREAT CAR!!!!
By EL TEMPLO

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Owned a BMW 3-series for 2 yrs before this car which pales in comparison to my r32!. Great handling, very aggressive, and has loads of aftermarket potential. Unlike its competitors (Evo, Sti - The Evo MR does not even have ABS! Commuting kills Evos, Sti better for track) it has lots of comfort, luxury and greater power potential with the 6 cyl engine. The alloy rims, konig heated seats, awd, sunroof, and 6-speed tranny are all standard features. The fit and finish are top notch and feels like a 25-30K car. There's more to driving than 0-60 in a straight-line. If you appreciate comfort and luxury with amped performance, check out the r32 (compare it to is300, 3-series, TSX, c-class).

Favorite Features

paint, interior materials, performance, complements I get from onlookers, exhaust note, phatbox

Suggested Improvements

HID lights standard would be nice (can be purchased though), leather bra, factory tinted windows, (though it looks cool - offer other trims besides brushed metal - carbon fiber would be nice)

we want a 280 or more 6
By cornwall

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

handling is outstanding glad I live in a area where hills and curves keep me very happy Pulling power in all 6 gears is outstanding. comfort and ride is great for a car that handles so well! brakes, just what you need to feel safe, they Stop on a dime.

Suggested Improvements

lets get a bigger 6 and then move over wrx

R32
By BikeR32

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

For me, the R32 is all about easy-to- drive performance. Everything about the car - the steering, clutch, gas, gearshift, and brakes - requires only a very light touch. I find myself dipping into the throttle just to hear the engine, and zipping around turns just to feel the car cling to the road. The downside of this is that gas mileage suffers as a result. The brushed aluminum look of the interior and highly bolstered seats make seattime very enjoyable. On the downside, the wheels get dirty very quickly, and the interior is small for 4. Also, the car drones when cruising above 80mph.

Favorite Features

The exhaust note and handling of this car are superb. I really enjoy the steering feel, and the overall surefootedness of the car. The seats are wonderful and very, very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

6th gear could be slightly taller for cruising and better gas mileage, and it would be nice if the headliner was made of a brighter, less "fuzzy" material - more like an Audi.

Better than the GTI, and AWD to boot!!
By kevbelz

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car to replace my 1.8t GTI. I was moving from New Jersey to Montana, and wanted a sports car with AWD, to help get me to the Ski resorts in sporty style. This car is Awesome, I have owned 9 cars over the past 17 years, the last 4 cars were volkswagen's. This car is simply the best I have ever owned. Great traction in the Rain and Snow (as long as you have appropriate tires, the stock tires are NOT for winter), and a 241 hp v6 engine that is faster than most cars.

Favorite Features

All the styling extras that one would put on a normal Golf or Gti, if one was inclined to do so (including front side and rear spoilers). A truly MEAN sounding exhaust note. Add to that the AWD and the fact that you'll only see 5000 of them in the US, and this is an instant classic.

Suggested Improvements

Exhaust flapper which limits sound level at lower RPM's in accordance with German law has to be done away with. Many owners in the US have already modified this "feature" by themselves.

.:R32
By bram

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car. VW's are amazing.

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, exterior/interior styling, everything else.

Suggested Improvements

none

Flawless blend of luxury and performance
By gvintheatl

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

A $30k Golf that's worth every penny! A month after purchase in ATL I took a road trip to Salt Lake City. The interior creature comforts and overall driveability were superb on the long sedate stretches of I-40. Cruise control kept the MPG in the upper 20s, not bad for averaging 75-85 mph. On the twisting canyon roads outside of Sandy UT the Goodyear Eagle F1s combined with the awesome AWD performance made the car feel as if it were on rails. And of course I had to take it out to the salt flats to see if the max speed reported by Car & Driver (128 mph) was correct. I was able to attain 135 mph before it maxed out at 5400 rpm. Wow, 8k miles in two months and every one has been a blast!

Favorite Features

Koenig leather sport seats, smooth and pure V-6 power and torque, sound of the perfectly tuned dual exhaust (I drive with the stereo off most of the time now), and handling on mountain roads. And with only 5000 R32s in the US I feel like a member of a special and elite group of performance drivers!

Suggested Improvements

No pop-out cup holders like I had on my '02 GTi but they can be installed (see VW Vortex website). Wish Euro- spec HID headlights were an option. The top speed governor sucks but hey, this is the USA. Changing factory tires/wheels to a winter-capable set up would be expensive, glad I live in ATL!

R32 means WOW
By Dman777

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I just purchased a R32 and I previously owned a Mitsubishi Evolution VIII.The R32 might be slightly slower than the Evo but I have felt that the R32 drives nicer and feels more solid.Overall, I must say that the Evo VIII is way over rated and that the R32 so far is living up to my expectations.

Favorite Features

6 speed manual transmission,great sport seats,great exhaust sound,18' wheels,good sport tires by goodyear F1's,has good stability

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the stereo system.It seems a little weak and needs better styling and functions.Clutch seems a little weak feels to soft and does not have enough pressure behind it so you no when your engaged.