Used 2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen R32 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual - (154 reviews )

Volkswagen R32
By jon

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The Volkswagen R32 is the perfect car for me to take out the clients and get compliments from any age group and sex. It has been fun to drive and the seats are sporty, comfortable and attractive. The steering wheel is the best that I have felt.

Favorite Features

The exhaust note, seats, steering wheel and fun factor.

Suggested Improvements

Add a little more power, a navigation system, Xenons headlights, and lowering springs.

High bang for buck quotient.
By Jeremy

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Fantastic car. Slightly more refined than WRX and Evo with just about matched performance. I have to laugh at those who stated they wish it has "more power." It's a hatchback with 241 bhp for crying out loud! Just shows some people are never satisfied. I am. I was actually thinking of a 350Z or a Mustang GT before buying but this car is so much more distinctive. I think this car was only in production 1 year which I like. German build quality remains unmatched in my eyes. I plan to keep as long as I can. I get punk kid racers trying to mess with me sometimes, but that's ok.

Favorite Features

Motor, exhaust, AWD, seats, wheels, and steering wheel. I appreciate the low "gimmick" factor of the car. With the windows down and the exhaust purring on a twisty road, you'd swear you were in a car that costs twice as much.

Suggested Improvements

Strangly, the front seat release levers have a tendency to pop out of the seat when you use them. The rest of the car is built so well, that it was a surprise. They pop right back into place if this should happen and are functional, still weird. Really the only quirk that I've found. Not bad

Best VeeDub to Date
By Infrederick

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first VW, but I have purchased 7 smaller Audis since 1975. The R32 is everybit the equal of any of my sporting Audis, including the 225 TT quattro. The interior has a very similar feel to the TT. The engine is powerful but a little too turbine-smooth for my taste. Acceleration lags a bit in the lower rpm range - I prefer the 3k rpm kick of Porsche boxer engines. Even in metallic black the R32 gets plenty of attention from bystanders. Only 1% realize that it is a near- exotic vehicle. Others look at it with an expression of "there's something differant about that VW" This car is certainly the highest performance VW ever bolted together. No warranty work needed in 12 months.

Favorite Features

Value of the vehicle based on performace per dollar. And the resale value is wonderful - in 7/05 most used R32 are being sold at a premium to their original purchase price. Nice that is is asembled in Europe rather than Mexico, etc. It shows int the quality and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more steering feedback - steering is overboosted and provides minimal "on-center" feel. Engineer AWD with more rear-drive bias as in Porsche vehicles. More mid-range boost would do wonders for this vehicle - engine response of the Boxster S is a great benchmark.

Its a 'Keeper'
By Back2Dubs

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for over 1 1/2 years and it is just as much of a blast as when I first bought it. Best all 'rounder for the money in my opinion. Power is very good with lots of torque. While the stock handling is quite good a few suspension modifications turns it into a 'car on rails'.

Favorite Features

Torque readily available for easy driving, superb handling, AWD sure- footedness in the snow (with a set of A/S or winter tires), interior is outstanding, exterior understated, but sporty, lots of cargo space (car can handle a 6 ft. shower door and the rear hatch can close!), seats are great!

Suggested Improvements

Stock headlights a bit weak, spare tire could have been included, Euro suspension instead of US version.

I love it!
By R32Girl

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

My 2004 Volkswagen R32 makes driving a fun and exciting experience. The power gives me an adrenaline rush I never want to lose. I will never drive another car that isn't AWD, and I'm going to drive this car until it can't go anymore!

Favorite Features

The racing seats hold me snugly in place while I'm whipping around turns, and the lumbar support feels great on my back. This car's seats are WAY more comfortable than the onese that are in my brother's Subaru WRX. The smooth shifting and tight turns make the experience all the more exciting, and for people who know the car, it turns quite a few heads.