Used 2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen R32 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual - (154 reviews )

Great Package
By Jean

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Although it's not the fastest car out there, it does bring lots of pluses together in an elegant package.

Favorite Features

Clean look, brakes, 6-speed transmission, and engine.

Suggested Improvements

Lighter wheels, tires with stiffer sidewall, a little more power (260+).

Exceeded Expectations
By BadAzR32

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I went into this vehicle with certain expectations about performance, reliability and safety. The performance was answered just by starting the engine. The beautiful deep muscle sound that comes out when the car is first started is amazing. The car can hug the road like a little convertible and all of a sudden take off and easily hit 100 within 2 seconds on the highway. The car is reliable in the sense that unlike my Honda the only thing that ever needed maintenance was the standard oil change. The interior was flawless and unique in its own way. Everyone who has ever been into an R32 was immediately impressed with the workmanship.

Favorite Features

The interior makes you feel very comfortable and relaxed. Having your hands on that genuine leather steering wheel with the seats hugging you really make you feel like you are in a jet. The sound on the highway once the car reaches 5,000 RPMS is exuberating. It almost sounds like a Chewbaca yell.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little more horsepower at this price range to be a little more competitive with the Mitsubishi Evolution and the Subaru WRX STi would help. Or maybe even just putting a turbo in the car would have made the price sticker feel justified. Thankfully I got mine at invoice. Other weren't so lucky!

My Red Rocket
By Alex

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my Volkswagen R32 for eight months and will never get rid of it. I really enjoy driving to work and back and find any reason to go driving in it. Get lots of positive comments and surprise a lot of people. It handles great!

Favorite Features

Love the All Wheel Drive, handling is amazing, would love to have another to modify.

Suggested Improvements

Only suggested improvement would be to outfit the car stock with tires that have a beefier sidewall. I've had a tire bubble that required me to purchase a new tire.

2004 Volkswagen R32
By Maybaby74

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Wow, after owning a fixed-up, 480 hp 300ZX turbo, I'd never thought I would find another car to meet my performance needs! Everything on the R32 is top notch! The power delivery is silky smooth and linear! it's not as fast as some of the import turbos, but its more buttoned down, mature, and easy to live with. The handling/AWD is incredible and the tranny is perfect. The interior is very nice and the exterior hints (not screams) about the capabilites of the car. It is extremely stable both at high speeds and around curvy roads...what a car. And, there are only 5,000 in all of US...Ferrari exclusivity! This car is way more fun then the Z I used to own. and oh...did I mention the exhaust note!

Favorite Features

Exhaust note, linear power delivery, AWD, Euro-sleeper design, features/ameneties

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more power...nothing that can't be fixed with an aftermarket turbocharger:)

I still smile at it
By VWnutAZ

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I still love driving my car. The engine sound and the handling are excellent. I have had a lower suspension installed (which also weighs less); love it. It's really nice to have the Golf (GTI) get a great engine and suspension (especially independent rear) that put it back on top of the list of small performance cars. I think Volkswagen's efforts to push their products upscale is a success.

Favorite Features

The seats, the stereo, the engine, and the solid feel of the interior.

Suggested Improvements

Tire pressure sensors would have been nice; especially since there is NO spare tire. Electric seats with memory would be nice to help getting in and out of the high bolsters of the seats. Shedding some of the weight or more horsepower would be nice; more performance. A more performance oriented clutch