Used 2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen R32 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual - (154 reviews )

Still, the only car I want to drive
By Nate

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I was so happy to have the chance this car near the end of 2004. I enjoy driving it every time an errand or my work calls me. I enjoy its superior build quality over domestics and Japanese cars. The R32s were well thought out and built for more than economy savings. I can't stand the cheapo Japanese and domestic interiors. Tuning companies are quickly suppling everything an R owner could want. With those options, this car has few limitations. I can only imagine being more happy in a M3. But the M3 isn't my style, nor in my pocketbook's range.

Favorite Features

Low profile looks, yet tastefully accommodating in the interior and exterior build quality. Nice low rev torque and great 35 mph to freeway speeds capability.

Suggested Improvements

Asking for special low weight build quality would have made this car either: 1. Cheapo-Japanese in build quality, especially the interior. or 2. Terribly expensive with special aluminum or carbon fiber parts

This Is Not You're Sister's Golf
By R32 Man

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This one great car! The seats hold you in very well and are very comfy leather seats. The interior design is nice, and the exterior design is excellent. The rims and body kit make it look beautiful. The exhaust note is the most beautiful sound I have ever heard, it sounds like a Ferrari. Only 5,000 were made so you rarely pass one by on the highway unlike the Evo or STi but yet some how my neighbors still have 2 R32s. If you like going to the track or doing autocross, look no further, this is instant autocross car with power all over the RPM range and a tight suspension that turns very sharply. It is an instant autocrosser

Favorite Features

The exhaust note is great an never gets old. The suspension is great, it turns sharply and lets you take 20 mph turns at almost 40 mph with no nervous feeling, just a big grin on youre face. The seats are great. It has a ton of interior space to hold all your junk.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power would be nice. The interior design is nice but could use a little more sprucing up. I seem to out-run the steering, If I turn the wheel to fast I seem to outdo the power steering, it seems to only be a problem with mine though.

Exotic racer or grocery getter? It's both
By Peter Doney

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Since 1983, my life's desire was to own a Renault R5 turbo2. I could never make the leap to owning such a specialized car - one that requires many compromises and probably many days and many dollars at the shop. Well, it's 2006 and I now own and drive my dream car everyday. But as in a previous review, this car is all about balance. The functionality of the hatchback and fold down seats makes this my activity vehicle for hauling all my mountain bike and ski gear. My insurance agent thinks I'm driving an economy car and that police officer just thinks I'm driving my son's fixed up GTI (knock on wood), and yet in my mind, I'm driving my all time favorite car - no matter what price.

Favorite Features

The sound that happens when I step on that little metal thing below my right foot. It puts a smile on EVERYONE :)

Suggested Improvements

A spare tire would be nice. I've learned to ignore all the rattles and both doors being out of alignment, but what's with the trunk not unlocking with the rest of the doors? How un-German of them.

Lovely Jubbly!
By fortistiger

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The Volkswagen R32 is an awsome car all round. I have owned many cars and it tops them all! I can't find any fault with it. It is so much better than a BMW!

Favorite Features

The driving position, pure power, versatility and durability. This car is all round stunnnnnning.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the fuel economy.

Still a Great Car
By Maybaby74

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned my Volkswagen R32 for about four months now and it still excites me each time I drive it! The exhaust note is still addicting and the handling is incredible! This car is all about balance. Where all other cars in this class are about trying to get the fastest 0-60 times or the highest G's and fastest slalom times, this car is about everyday, usable performance. On a 8/10 scale, it can keep up with anything on the road while delivering a comfortable ride, all wheel drive stability along with a bunch of options (moonroof, awsome stereo, automatic climate control, seat warmers, etc.). There is no turbo lag, no darty handling, just pure driving pleasure, and German style!

Favorite Features

The exhaust note, handling, options, cargo space, rims, compact look and design.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power never hurts!