Used 2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen R32 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual - (154 reviews )

from evo to R32
By rosie83

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

we had the evo 2003 and traded it in on the R32. it took a little while to get used to the difference between the cars. the evo had the turbo that would jump you from the start, but the R32 has the power behind it to pull you through. the turns are not quite as sharp but it can handle the city's roads alot better. i like the fact that most people pull up beside me and dont know what they are getting into, while that really didnt happen much in the evo because it was a little more flashy. all in all im really happy with the R32. we also have the leather option which the evo did not offer. its smooth, safe, and powerfull in a small package.

Favorite Features

the entire car from the wheels to the heated seats. it has a great package with power and still, it rides very smooth. a great bonus is it can fit so much in it. i put four passengers, myself, and four suitcases in it comfortably and could still squeeze into a city spot.

Suggested Improvements

i love turbo. if this car had turbo too i would be in heaven. i miss the boost of the evo but i love the power of the R32. i know the option is available but i want to keep the warranty valid. if it came standard, i would trade it in today, no question.

Awesome
By ELDorey

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I've had BMW's for several years and was turned off by the new 5 so I started looking further afield. I liked the 330xi, but I've already had that style 3-series. Then I discoverd the R32. It is absolutely fantastic - outperforms the 330xi, handles like its glued to the road and looks appealingly "stealthy". Interior quality equal to (or better than) a BMW, too. I drive it daily over our X5 or Z3. Actually, I look for excuses to drive it - it has reinvigorated me and made me remember why I love cars!

Favorite Features

Handling and power are amazing. Seats offer terrific grip, exhaust sounds sexy and stereo sounds reasonably good. Its a terrific package.

Suggested Improvements

Why de-content the xenons? I've had to order them through a UK dealer and retrofit. I wanted the headlamp wash, too (but plumbing difficult). Aside from content, biggest complaint is "VW" shift feel. The cable linkage feels as sloppy as my '92 Corrado.

Josh's Review
By moorejosh

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Awesome car. Tons of fun.

Favorite Features

I love how it accelerates.

Suggested Improvements

To make it only two seats in the back, other than that none.

Enough Said!
By VR6 Power

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Plain and simple; a rocketship on wheels.

Favorite Features

AWD, exhaust, interior.

Suggested Improvements

Get your plastic surgeon to have some botox on hand, because you'll need it to get the wrinkles off your face from all the smiling you'll be doing.

Permanent Grin
By ubeR32

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 3rd VW VR6 and by far the best. VW got just about everything right on this car. The Haldex AWD and the engine combination provide a well rounded, every day driving, performance rocket. Iíve driven in STi and Evos and felt like I needed to visit the chiropractor afterwards. The R32 provides a stiff but comfortable ride. The sound of the exhaust is something that is constantly turning heads of people expecting to see an Italian exotic. The car in Black or Silver will definitely fly under the radar and "blend in". But I digress; this car is a blast to drive and is equal, if not better in some respects, than other performance coups (M3, S4, 911)

Favorite Features

The power-band seems never-ending and rumor has it that the true output of the engine is closer to 250hp (the same as the Audi TT 3.2) as VW tried to save on costs during US EPA certification and gave both the R32 and Audi TT the same engine management programming (www.vwvortex.com)

Suggested Improvements

I wish VW would have given us at least the "option" of HIDs, Navi. System (both were available in the European version) and XM radio ready headunits. Also, its a little unnerving driving without a spare tire here in the northeast where our roads look more like the surface of the moon.