Used 2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual - (154 reviews )

R32
By BikeR32

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

For me, the R32 is all about easy-to- drive performance. Everything about the car - the steering, clutch, gas, gearshift, and brakes - requires only a very light touch. I find myself dipping into the throttle just to hear the engine, and zipping around turns just to feel the car cling to the road. The downside of this is that gas mileage suffers as a result. The brushed aluminum look of the interior and highly bolstered seats make seattime very enjoyable. On the downside, the wheels get dirty very quickly, and the interior is small for 4. Also, the car drones when cruising above 80mph.

The exhaust note and handling of this car are superb. I really enjoy the steering feel, and the overall surefootedness of the car. The seats are wonderful and very, very comfortable.

6th gear could be slightly taller for cruising and better gas mileage, and it would be nice if the headliner was made of a brighter, less "fuzzy" material - more like an Audi.

Better than the GTI, and AWD to boot!!
By kevbelz

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car to replace my 1.8t GTI. I was moving from New Jersey to Montana, and wanted a sports car with AWD, to help get me to the Ski resorts in sporty style. This car is Awesome, I have owned 9 cars over the past 17 years, the last 4 cars were volkswagen's. This car is simply the best I have ever owned. Great traction in the Rain and Snow (as long as you have appropriate tires, the stock tires are NOT for winter), and a 241 hp v6 engine that is faster than most cars.

All the styling extras that one would put on a normal Golf or Gti, if one was inclined to do so (including front side and rear spoilers). A truly MEAN sounding exhaust note. Add to that the AWD and the fact that you'll only see 5000 of them in the US, and this is an instant classic.

Exhaust flapper which limits sound level at lower RPM's in accordance with German law has to be done away with. Many owners in the US have already modified this "feature" by themselves.

Flawless blend of luxury and performance
By gvintheatl

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

A $30k Golf that's worth every penny! A month after purchase in ATL I took a road trip to Salt Lake City. The interior creature comforts and overall driveability were superb on the long sedate stretches of I-40. Cruise control kept the MPG in the upper 20s, not bad for averaging 75-85 mph. On the twisting canyon roads outside of Sandy UT the Goodyear Eagle F1s combined with the awesome AWD performance made the car feel as if it were on rails. And of course I had to take it out to the salt flats to see if the max speed reported by Car & Driver (128 mph) was correct. I was able to attain 135 mph before it maxed out at 5400 rpm. Wow, 8k miles in two months and every one has been a blast!

Koenig leather sport seats, smooth and pure V-6 power and torque, sound of the perfectly tuned dual exhaust (I drive with the stereo off most of the time now), and handling on mountain roads. And with only 5000 R32s in the US I feel like a member of a special and elite group of performance drivers!

No pop-out cup holders like I had on my '02 GTi but they can be installed (see VW Vortex website). Wish Euro- spec HID headlights were an option. The top speed governor sucks but hey, this is the USA. Changing factory tires/wheels to a winter-capable set up would be expensive, glad I live in ATL!

R32 means WOW
By Dman777

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I just purchased a R32 and I previously owned a Mitsubishi Evolution VIII.The R32 might be slightly slower than the Evo but I have felt that the R32 drives nicer and feels more solid.Overall, I must say that the Evo VIII is way over rated and that the R32 so far is living up to my expectations.

6 speed manual transmission,great sport seats,great exhaust sound,18' wheels,good sport tires by goodyear F1's,has good stability

Improve the quality of the stereo system.It seems a little weak and needs better styling and functions.Clutch seems a little weak feels to soft and does not have enough pressure behind it so you no when your engaged.

.:R32
By bram

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car. VW's are amazing.

Engine, handling, exterior/interior styling, everything else.

none