Used 2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen R32 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual - (154 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Volkswagen R32
By jon

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The Volkswagen R32 is the perfect car for me to take out the clients and get compliments from any age group and sex. It has been fun to drive and the seats are sporty, comfortable and attractive. The steering wheel is the best that I have felt.

Favorite Features

The exhaust note, seats, steering wheel and fun factor.

Suggested Improvements

Add a little more power, a navigation system, Xenons headlights, and lowering springs.

VW still needs to go to finishing school
By Snarly VW

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

When I bought the car used with 25K miles, I checked the service history with my VW dealer and found out that it already had a replaced alternator, water pump, and one other component they couldn't determine. I started having rear drive problems after I bought it. Found out the Haldex unit was toast and was replaced under warranty. Although handling was excellent, the car was overweight and the AWD didn't fully compensate. Interior had the same groans and moans as my previous '03 Anniverary Edition GTI. The Ann. Edition was a better value for the money. Overall, the R32 provides a rewarding experience, but the premium is high, and reliability is a hit and miss proposition.

Favorite Features

Torque. Speed is incredibly deceptive. 80 feels like about half that speed. Utility. Symphonic engine sound.

Suggested Improvements

Having to replace the alternator, water pump, and Haldex unit within 26K miles is inexcusable. Excellent interior materials, but the factory needs to screw in the interior pieces better.

70,000+ miles and still in love!
By zmoney

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is my daily driver and I couldn't have picked a better car. I was looking at an STI or Evo about 3yrs ago, but then I found the R32 at a great price. You'll love it. I get 22/29 city/highway and you'll have more than enough get up and go to zip in and out of traffic. The seats are great, but they might be a tight fit for a larger person. Everyone loves the sound of the exhaust of course. The look of this car is great, but at the same time it's not a cop magnet which is always a plus. Test drive the 2004 model and you'll be hooked! It won't be mine however as she'll die with me. :) If you do buy one please take it to the track at least once. You'll thank me later.

Favorite Features

AWD, Auto dimming rear view mirror, rain sensing windshield wipers, seats, after market options and there's no giant wing (a.k.a. sleeper). The other R32 owners are my favorite feature. Everyone is SUPER nice and helpful. Google r32 forum and you’ll find all the info you need.

Suggested Improvements

The fueling sending unit (gas gauge doesn't read correctly) and radiator fans are common issues with this car. Both happened out of warranty for me. :( The Haldex is pricey to service and this needs to be done around every 25K. Hey, you gotta pay to play.

Never too old to have fun
By Doc J

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

At 60+ I'm probably not the usual R32 driver but it's been my daily ride for nearly 6 years. I drive it hard and love it. Reliability has been good other than for major transmission repairs at 35,000 and 65,000 miles along with clutch replacements at the same time. I don't think I drive THAT hard, but maybe I push it harder than the average driver. I've heard that AWD vehicles a hard on their drive trains because their wheels can't slip to release strain. Other than that issue a wheel bearing at 70,000 and an instrument cluster replacement under warranty have been the only other major repairs. I've yet to replace the brakes (maybe that's why I have worn out the clutches!)

Favorite Features

Precise transmission shifter; the wonderful Koenig seats (although they get a bit tight on a drive of more than a few hours); ability to blow away most other cars on the road; passing in 4th gear on a 2-lane road.

Suggested Improvements

HID headlights would have been great. I added an Audi TT spare tire (even though it will only fit on the rear).

I love my 2004 R32
By dpod4

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my R32 brand new in 2004 after test driving much more expensive cars. Nothing compared. I have owned my car 8 years. I have pampered it (garaged in the winter, park it like it is a Ferrari, etc) and it looks brand new (kudos to VW for the Tornado Red paint holding up like it is showroom condition 8 years later). I have not had one problem with it -- most trouble free car I have owned (compared to more expensive cars I have owned from BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Acura). And, more than any car (Lexus SC400 comes in a close second, and Toyota MR2 a distant third), this BY FAR is the most fun car I have owned. Hard to describe, but 8 years later, I am more elated than day bought.

Favorite Features

handling, cornering, gestalt ability to feel one with the road, go-kart like sensibility, 6 speed manual, speakers if you replace the head unit, etc and i can fit a family of 5 in it!