2004 Volkswagen R32 Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen R32 - Consumer Reviews

2004 R32 Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual - (154 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

I love my 2004 R32
By dpod4

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my R32 brand new in 2004 after test driving much more expensive cars. Nothing compared. I have owned my car 8 years. I have pampered it (garaged in the winter, park it like it is a Ferrari, etc) and it looks brand new (kudos to VW for the Tornado Red paint holding up like it is showroom condition 8 years later). I have not had one problem with it -- most trouble free car I have owned (compared to more expensive cars I have owned from BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Acura). And, more than any car (Lexus SC400 comes in a close second, and Toyota MR2 a distant third), this BY FAR is the most fun car I have owned. Hard to describe, but 8 years later, I am more elated than day bought.

Favorite Features

handling, cornering, gestalt ability to feel one with the road, go-kart like sensibility, 6 speed manual, speakers if you replace the head unit, etc and i can fit a family of 5 in it!

All Around Epic
By Dubsanator

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased the vehicle at a great price because it had a lot of miles on it, I have been driving it ever since i bought it and wouldn't trade it for the world. I work at a dealership and I've driven my share of cars, this one takes the cake as the most fun car I have ever driven. Period. Everything about it screams amazing, the look, the styling, the epic exhaust sound, the amazing handling, the peppy speed, the smooth six speed gearbox, and last but surely not the end or least, the epic brakes. All around this car is a great buy, coming with numerous interior features that barely come standard on your common exensive BMW. Like I said, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Favorite Features

The exhaust is probably the most memorable part about this vehicle, it has such a sweet harmony as you're passing most of the vehicles on the road, and to control all that power, an amazing all wheel drive system (4motion), and some serious brakes to wrap it all together.

Suggested Improvements

I bought some aftermarket sway bars for the vehicle and it made a world of difference, slightly challenging to install but kept the car level with the ground around any turn, elimanting any tailslide at all. Also put some coilovers on the vehicle to lower it and give it an even more aggresive look.

Never too old to have fun
By Doc J

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

At 60+ I'm probably not the usual R32 driver but it's been my daily ride for nearly 6 years. I drive it hard and love it. Reliability has been good other than for major transmission repairs at 35,000 and 65,000 miles along with clutch replacements at the same time. I don't think I drive THAT hard, but maybe I push it harder than the average driver. I've heard that AWD vehicles a hard on their drive trains because their wheels can't slip to release strain. Other than that issue a wheel bearing at 70,000 and an instrument cluster replacement under warranty have been the only other major repairs. I've yet to replace the brakes (maybe that's why I have worn out the clutches!)

Favorite Features

Precise transmission shifter; the wonderful Koenig seats (although they get a bit tight on a drive of more than a few hours); ability to blow away most other cars on the road; passing in 4th gear on a 2-lane road.

Suggested Improvements

HID headlights would have been great. I added an Audi TT spare tire (even though it will only fit on the rear).

goin' on 6 years
By Nobama

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This has been a fun car to drive for 103,000 miles so far. With snow on the ground and winter tires, it is an absolute blast. Reliability has been good, needing just a wheel bearing and fuel pump so far. Of all the cars I have owned, this is by far the most all around fun to drive.

Favorite Features

It is a wonderful total package. Seats, engine, 6 spd, steering, 4 wheel independent susp, all wheel drive...it's all great.

Suggested Improvements

Everybody always wants more power....but overall, the car is perfect as it is. The only thing I wish it had were the HID headlights.

The SIngle Best Car You Never Knew About
By Kyle

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

My current Deep Blue Pearl 2004 R32, is actually my SECOND. In between, I drove a 2005 Audi S4 with a 344hp V-8 under it's hood. I missed my 250hp (yes it DID HAVE 250 stock) uber-hatch. What can a person POSSIBLY FIND to complain about with this car, except perhaps the limited rear-seat legroom? It's faster (w simple tuning) than the Audi, has an Audi engine, Audi AWD, will stop faster than 99.9% of ALL CARS, will handle until YOU QUIT and comes with nearly all the luxury features the S4 did ( & some extra), plus it's the only VW to be built by Porsche in Slovakia. 5,000 autobahn-intended machines imported at American journalists behest for the U.S. ONLY. FAST, FUN, PRACTICAL... GERMAN.

Favorite Features

Jet black, timeless interior, w/ EMBROIDERED "R" insignias, brushed aluminum accents and heated Konig racing seats,. Audi AWD, Elec. Stab. Control, smooth 6-speed man. trans, sunroof, automatic wipers, trip/temp computer, storage room, heated mirrors, economy, handling, braking, 18" 15-spoke wheels.

Suggested Improvements

I wouldn't complain if came with 300 ponies in original form They shouldn't have removed stock German spec Xenon headlamps before importing. U.S. also added speed governor at 132, to car produced for autobahn. Removal = better mileage and 170 mph top speed. Other than THAT? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

still loving it =)
By GrandPaDriver

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Just do the schedule service needed, and the car will give you no problem. You might need some tuning & modification for the car to run as you expected to be. You will fall in love with it once you drive it. =)

Favorite Features

awd.. 3.2 vr6..

Suggested Improvements

lighter body, more powerful motor..

70,000+ miles and still in love!
By zmoney

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is my daily driver and I couldn't have picked a better car. I was looking at an STI or Evo about 3yrs ago, but then I found the R32 at a great price. You'll love it. I get 22/29 city/highway and you'll have more than enough get up and go to zip in and out of traffic. The seats are great, but they might be a tight fit for a larger person. Everyone loves the sound of the exhaust of course. The look of this car is great, but at the same time it's not a cop magnet which is always a plus. Test drive the 2004 model and you'll be hooked! It won't be mine however as she'll die with me. :) If you do buy one please take it to the track at least once. You'll thank me later.

Favorite Features

AWD, Auto dimming rear view mirror, rain sensing windshield wipers, seats, after market options and there's no giant wing (a.k.a. sleeper). The other R32 owners are my favorite feature. Everyone is SUPER nice and helpful. Google r32 forum and you’ll find all the info you need.

Suggested Improvements

The fueling sending unit (gas gauge doesn't read correctly) and radiator fans are common issues with this car. Both happened out of warranty for me. :( The Haldex is pricey to service and this needs to be done around every 25K. Hey, you gotta pay to play.

I love it
By dado

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car. Handle great, pretty fast, and just plain sexy. I recommend it over my m3.

Favorite Features

The seats for one. and who doesn't love the wonderful sound of the euro cars.

Suggested Improvements

Cold air intake and a super charger. also i had to put some custom wheels on it.

VW Made a Good One!
By Back2dubs

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Over 4 years and 65,000 miles (street and track) the R32 is holding up very well. Only issues encountered were a dead battery at 37,000 and a faulty brake light switch. Interior and exterior quality has been excellent. Very stable & predictable handling. Surprisingly competent on the track considering it is front heavy as well as hefty (AWD helps here). Excellent car for the snow when outfitted with appropriate tires. Not your average Joe's car, for sure, but for those who want something different its a great choice. As much fun to drive today as when I first bought it!

Favorite Features

Simply incredible brakes, powerful low end torque, fantastic exhaust note, perfect steering wheel, smooth clutch, extremely supportive seats, excellent sunroof, heated seats, cargo space galore. The list goes on...

Suggested Improvements

This 1st R32 had a few issues. The Konig seats, if not far enough back, can hit the sun shade when tilted forward. The huge seat bolsters can easily become worn over time. The climate controls are too low in the console and difficult to read (LCD display). Squeaks and groans can occur at random.

3 year's ownership - my second favorite
By ESSDEEKAY

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Other than a 2003 Porsche, this R32 has been my favorite of the dozen cars (mostly European) I have owned the last 30 years. It is uber-practical and has as much performance as I need. I run it stock, other than the snow tires I switch to in winter months. Really pleased at the high resale value retained by this limited production car. Only "problem" I have experienced is an ocassional false "loose fuel cap" warning when the gas tank runs low. Low maintenance costs (relative to BMW/Porsche/Audi) has been a very pleasant bonus - less than half the amount of my other cars.

Favorite Features

After 3 years my black R32 still gets nods of acknowledgement from those knowing that it is not just another golf/GTI. The interior makes for a comfortable road trip car. I much prefer it to my Boxster for long trips (even though the R32 gets a little lower mpg). And the VW has a nicer exhaust note

Suggested Improvements

Power steering is over-boosted for my taste. I would like a little more resistance particularly for freeway driving. Fully flat-folding rear seats would help in transporting large boxes. Xenon lights would be nice. Other than those items, not much to quibble with