2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual - (154 reviews )
I love my 2004 R32
By dpod4 on 07/15/12 21:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my R32 brand new in 2004 after test driving much more expensive cars. Nothing compared. I have owned my car 8 years. I have pampered it (garaged in the winter, park it like it is a Ferrari, etc) and it looks brand new (kudos to VW for the Tornado Red paint holding up like it is showroom condition 8 years later). I have not had one problem with it -- most trouble free car I have owned (compared to more expensive cars I have owned from BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Acura). And, more than any car (Lexus SC400 comes in a close second, and Toyota MR2 a distant third), this BY FAR is the most fun car I have owned. Hard to describe, but 8 years later, I am more elated than day bought.

All Around Epic
By Dubsanator on 08/28/10 14:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased the vehicle at a great price because it had a lot of miles on it, I have been driving it ever since i bought it and wouldn't trade it for the world. I work at a dealership and I've driven my share of cars, this one takes the cake as the most fun car I have ever driven. Period. Everything about it screams amazing, the look, the styling, the epic exhaust sound, the amazing handling, the peppy speed, the smooth six speed gearbox, and last but surely not the end or least, the epic brakes. All around this car is a great buy, coming with numerous interior features that barely come standard on your common exensive BMW. Like I said, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Never too old to have fun
By Doc J on 05/13/10 16:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

At 60+ I'm probably not the usual R32 driver but it's been my daily ride for nearly 6 years. I drive it hard and love it. Reliability has been good other than for major transmission repairs at 35,000 and 65,000 miles along with clutch replacements at the same time. I don't think I drive THAT hard, but maybe I push it harder than the average driver. I've heard that AWD vehicles a hard on their drive trains because their wheels can't slip to release strain. Other than that issue a wheel bearing at 70,000 and an instrument cluster replacement under warranty have been the only other major repairs. I've yet to replace the brakes (maybe that's why I have worn out the clutches!)

goin' on 6 years
By Nobama on 03/22/10 14:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This has been a fun car to drive for 103,000 miles so far. With snow on the ground and winter tires, it is an absolute blast. Reliability has been good, needing just a wheel bearing and fuel pump so far. Of all the cars I have owned, this is by far the most all around fun to drive.

The SIngle Best Car You Never Knew About
By Kyle on 02/28/10 17:54 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

My current Deep Blue Pearl 2004 R32, is actually my SECOND. In between, I drove a 2005 Audi S4 with a 344hp V-8 under it's hood. I missed my 250hp (yes it DID HAVE 250 stock) uber-hatch. What can a person POSSIBLY FIND to complain about with this car, except perhaps the limited rear-seat legroom? It's faster (w simple tuning) than the Audi, has an Audi engine, Audi AWD, will stop faster than 99.9% of ALL CARS, will handle until YOU QUIT and comes with nearly all the luxury features the S4 did ( & some extra), plus it's the only VW to be built by Porsche in Slovakia. 5,000 autobahn-intended machines imported at American journalists behest for the U.S. ONLY. FAST, FUN, PRACTICAL... GERMAN.

still loving it =)
By GrandPaDriver on 01/19/09 15:52 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Just do the schedule service needed, and the car will give you no problem. You might need some tuning & modification for the car to run as you expected to be. You will fall in love with it once you drive it. =)

70,000+ miles and still in love!
By zmoney on 06/08/08 14:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is my daily driver and I couldn't have picked a better car. I was looking at an STI or Evo about 3yrs ago, but then I found the R32 at a great price. You'll love it. I get 22/29 city/highway and you'll have more than enough get up and go to zip in and out of traffic. The seats are great, but they might be a tight fit for a larger person. Everyone loves the sound of the exhaust of course. The look of this car is great, but at the same time it's not a cop magnet which is always a plus. Test drive the 2004 model and you'll be hooked! It won't be mine however as she'll die with me. :) If you do buy one please take it to the track at least once. You'll thank me later.

I love it
By dado on 05/05/08 16:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car. Handle great, pretty fast, and just plain sexy. I recommend it over my m3.

VW Made a Good One!
By Back2dubs on 05/04/08 17:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Over 4 years and 65,000 miles (street and track) the R32 is holding up very well. Only issues encountered were a dead battery at 37,000 and a faulty brake light switch. Interior and exterior quality has been excellent. Very stable & predictable handling. Surprisingly competent on the track considering it is front heavy as well as hefty (AWD helps here). Excellent car for the snow when outfitted with appropriate tires. Not your average Joe's car, for sure, but for those who want something different its a great choice. As much fun to drive today as when I first bought it!

3 year's ownership - my second favorite
By ESSDEEKAY on 12/04/07 08:42 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Other than a 2003 Porsche, this R32 has been my favorite of the dozen cars (mostly European) I have owned the last 30 years. It is uber-practical and has as much performance as I need. I run it stock, other than the snow tires I switch to in winter months. Really pleased at the high resale value retained by this limited production car. Only "problem" I have experienced is an ocassional false "loose fuel cap" warning when the gas tank runs low. Low maintenance costs (relative to BMW/Porsche/Audi) has been a very pleasant bonus - less than half the amount of my other cars.