Used 2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan

View reviews for a specific Phaeton model:

Most Helpful|
Awesome machine everyone should owe one
By Ian

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan W12 4dr Sedan w/4 Seats (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

awesome performance best of german design a wonder to drive or be driven in just awesome

Favorite Features

nav. system heat seats not V12 a W12

Suggested Improvements

nothing

Pleasant surprise
By De Jonge

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I happened upon this vehicle by chance and am very happy for the outcome. I am very impressed by the engine muscle, interior comfort and subdued exterior design - not in to the 'prestige vehicle' badges. The car wants to go at speeds more compatible with its design. I have a hard time keeping it under 80 mph. Indeed, in one instance I was pressed to accelerate only briefly and quickly reached 120 mph. Its fuel economy is not good, with average city driving yielding about 16.5 - 17.0 mpg. I always look for excuses to drive this car - a wonderful feeling. I also look forward to my first road trip - should be fantastic!

2005 Phaeton is Audi/Bentley indisguise
By bsdtwd

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Aside from a few switches, lack of auto chestnut covers on front air vents, massage ac/heated seats all the way around and about $80,000 you can SETTLE for an Audi A8L or a Bentley Flying Spur. The Phaeton is amazing. All the above, with soft close doors, a 270 Watt Bose 17 speaker system, a great manu shift tranny w/ AWD makes it a dream car in stealth mode. Best thing I've ever driven. A True Luxury Rocket. Found a 2005 with 29k miles. Gotta go drive it. Get'em before they're gone. Best Lux Bargain Going. VW should try again with 2013. Sells well in Europe. Bring on the auto bahn.

Favorite Features

Best interior ever. Double pane glass. Bentley/Audi specs and quality and even more on the cheap. Don't tell your neighbors.

Suggested Improvements

Remote start. Not available and impossible after market due to car's complexity. Key must be in slot or no go.

Phaeton vanishes from US market
By Christopher De Jonge

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I enjoy my Phaeton. It has beautiful interior trim. The exterior is sleek and muscular. The handling is sub-optimal, however I am used to more sport drive handling. It is a gas-guzzler. Perhaps the most disconcerting thing is that 2006 will be the last year for new model Phaetons. Already the resale value has tanked. Further, I question whether parts might be hard to obtain.

Outstanding Value
By RL

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan w/4 Seats (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This car, with the outstanding deals being offered, represents great value. The quality of the interior materials is above average for the class. Yes, it's heavy, but it rolls down the road in fine style and the structure feels bank vault strong. I've been averaging 17-18 mpg in a mix of city and highway driving, not bad for a large car. Overall I'm very impressed so far, and look forward to driving this car every chance I get. Those who don't consider this car because it's has the VW emblem are making an error, there is nothing like a Phaeton for the price. Consider this; the Bentley Continental is built on the same platform and shares most of the Phaeton's running gear!

Favorite Features

Seats - cooled, heated, 18 way, with massage. DSP Sound System Highway ride - smoooth A/C system is very powerful All wheel drive stability

Suggested Improvements

Add bluetooth connectivity for a phone. Add keyless start. Allow CD to play mp3 files Sat. Radio option Lower ride height - fender gaps over the wheels are too big. V10 Diesel option for USA