2005 Volkswagen Phaeton - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Phaeton model:
Great car
By phaeton on 02/28/05 18:37 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I gave my Volkswagen Phaeton V8 ratings of build quality and reliabilty lower marks because the memory settings for seat, mirrors etc are very unpredictable. They don't seem to hold the settings. The dealer is working very hard to train me or fix the problem. My dealer is very good. Every thing else about this car is the best a very nice luxury car. People do notice and say "This is a Volkswagen?"

Luv my Phaeton
By Richard on 02/22/05 16:04 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton W12 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

Have 31,000 miles on auto. Have not had one thing which I could ask the dealer to fix. NOTHING. Service has been beyond excellent. They say VW dealers dont know how to sell or provide customer service to luxury buyers. My buying and customer service from my dealer has been better than my previous Mercedes, Lexus and BMW dealers. Last two cars were 740-ils several small problems with each. Loved my 740s but my Phaeton will be remembered more than my first car. If I can ever part with this W12 my next car would be another one. It is too bad that other luxury car owners are afraid or maybe embarrassed of saying I own a VW. They are missing a great driving experience.

bob's phaeton
By bob in nc on 02/19/05 10:03 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Great driving and riding car. The nav system needs improvement. Interior room and comfort, especially the back seat, are second to none. No detail has been left out. Well worth the money!

Definitely don't like it
By Who Cares on 02/15/05 12:36 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The Volkswagen Phaeton V8 is heavy, and large, and heavy. Did I forget to mention it's heavy? I'm not a driving enthusiast, (who would guess it from a buyer of the Phaeton?) so I wouldn't care about it's weight, the but feeling after driving 8+ hours is awful - it feels like I'm moving all 3+ tons with my own hands. Compared to my recently purchased Audi A6, which is a class lower, the A6 wins hands down (now I understand what 'fun to drive' means).

the best kept secret
By jj on 02/10/05 20:16 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I love the drive, comfort, design and logo of my Volkswagen Phaeton V8. When you want something that is unique, go for this car and let go of your ego. I appreciate the weight and the substantial feel of the car.

Phaeton; close to perfect.
By Rob on 02/05/05 23:43 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The Phaeton is by far the best car I have ever owned and also the best I have driven. It handles like a car half its size and the interior room and comfort is outstanding. Dry roads, wet ones, snow... it does not matter this car handles it all. Think your front wheel drive is good enough for the north country? Try ALL WHEEL... There is just no comparison. This car takes me back to when I would experiment under the hood or with a new sound system. All those times I was trying to achieve something realy special... well, they call it a Phaeton! This one has it all superior comfort. There is no seat that conforms to your body like this one. Power, adjustable shift points, it all adds up to near perfect.

Amazing! What a dream!
By M. Wright on 02/02/05 21:15 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Although I was concerned with jumping into an unproven model, I have no regrets about the Volkswagen Phaeton V8. It is a pleasure to drive, has no road noise and I love the 4 suspension choices. As a designer, I was smitten with the luxurious interior appointments. this car reminds me of the Bentley that I used to own. It is a head-turner, every day I respond to questions from appreciative onlookers. Onstar is also part of the whole package. I hate to admit that I've said goodbye to BMW, but this car is much more interesting.

Great Car!
By Jmac on 01/19/05 09:14 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Best interior for quality, comfort and looks of any BMW, Mercedes,even Audi. Performs well. Edmunds cites heavy weight impedes handling. My view is the extra heft makes for a quieter more comfortable ride. I like having the VW badge. It gives me a great car without the high profile prestige factor.

The "Clark Kent" of Luxury Cars
By Marin-Tahoe Driver on 01/15/05 09:56 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton W12 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

I was a dedicated BMW 7 Series owner, until the 7 Series became tainted by cab gimmickry, a rear end so homely it appears designed piecemeal by committee, and a failure to keep up with demand for advanced AWD driving technology. The Phaeton is precisely what the BMW 7 Series should be, had BMW been doing its homework over the last four years. Phaeton is doing for the VW trade name what award-winning chardonnay did for Gallo -- it brings an air of respectability to VW. Compared, the Audi A12 is just too lightweight. The heavy Phaeton has a low center of gravity, providing a feeling of safety, luxury and control.

What a bargain
By george bentham on 01/10/05 10:41 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton W12 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

The Volkswagen Phaeton W12 is the best kept secret in luxury automobiles. it has features galore, impressive performance, and terrific handling. Some critics have said the steering is too soft. Having owned at least one of each German made car, I can say the handling can only be criticized by a professional driver or nitpicking journalist. It corners beautifully and the all wheel drive is a bonus. I can only be critical of the navigation system, it doesn't have any street names. Otherwise, the car surrounds you with luxury and performance. With factory rebates to dealers, the price is astounding for a car of this level. I shopped the Audi A8L, BMW 745, and Mercedes S500. This car is a notch above them for about the same price.