Used 2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Phaeton model:

Best Car under $150,000
By GripperDon

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I owned every luxury German car brand there is, plus some great Asian cars. This is the best bar none. The importer did a poor job of promoting the car and nobody know how good it is. VW has treaded the Phaeton a bit better in Europe, but their problems in the USA have caused it to be cancelled. They really hosed the owners, but this car is hard to belive. Its build quality is utterly fanstastic. It drives great, quiet and smooth with great handling, ride and acoustics. What a sound system.

Favorite Features

I love the build quality, materials quality, interior room, conseravite styling, engine and transmission smoothness.

Suggested Improvements

Change the navigation system to make it DVD based, upgrade the CD changer to play MP3 files and provide Aux inputs for iPod, etc. That's, it everything else is perfect.

Pleasant surprise
By De Jonge

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I happened upon this vehicle by chance and am very happy for the outcome. I am very impressed by the engine muscle, interior comfort and subdued exterior design - not in to the 'prestige vehicle' badges. The car wants to go at speeds more compatible with its design. I have a hard time keeping it under 80 mph. Indeed, in one instance I was pressed to accelerate only briefly and quickly reached 120 mph. Its fuel economy is not good, with average city driving yielding about 16.5 - 17.0 mpg. I always look for excuses to drive this car - a wonderful feeling. I also look forward to my first road trip - should be fantastic!

2005 Phaeton
By julie foster

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton W12 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 5A)

I have never owned a more luxurious vehicle. It has every option you could possibbly ask for in an up scale auto. The ride is as quite as any Cadilac, Mercedes, or BMW we have owned over the years. This is truley the auto buy of the decade.

Favorite Features

The quite powerful ride is unbeliveable.

Suggested Improvements

The navigation system is hard to program.

An Outstanding Luxury Vehicle
By RAD

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 4dr Sedan w/4 Seats (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great car. I have owned BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Lexus etc. Undoubtedly, this is the most luxurious, elegant, unpretentious (which suits me), best riding, quiet car of all. I wanted an all wheel drive luxury car and VW has come through in spades. I am looking to a Bentley but when comparing it to the Phaeton find it difficult to justify the higher price and can't imagine the build quality could be that much superior.

Favorite Features

The solid ride and comfort of this car excels. The radio is superb. I enjoy the flexibility of the suspension settings to suit the road conditions. Excellent heating/ventilation controls. The solidity and feel of this car is all I could ask for. Mileage is better than I expected.

Suggested Improvements

The power window controls are a bit of a stretch. A DVD Navigation system would be more convenient than the multiple CD based unit.

Coco Grey Beauty
By Mr. Adams

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great full sized luxury car I wish that the gas milage was better. This car has more standard features than the Mercedes S-Class and the BMW 7-Series. When it comes to comfort If I am not driving I am in the back seat where I can really stretch out my legs. I like owning a car that is unique and not seen very often. Since I have had my car I have only seen 3 Phaetons on the road and this makes the car special.

Favorite Features

I like the size of the interior, overall comfort, turning radius, All Wheel drive and styling.

Suggested Improvements

Setting a destination in the navigation is a bit slow, the alpha numberic system is navigated with a dial.