2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Phaeton model:
2005 Phaeton is Audi/Bentley indisguise
By bsdtwd on 02/29/12 18:48 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Aside from a few switches, lack of auto chestnut covers on front air vents, massage ac/heated seats all the way around and about $80,000 you can SETTLE for an Audi A8L or a Bentley Flying Spur. The Phaeton is amazing. All the above, with soft close doors, a 270 Watt Bose 17 speaker system, a great manu shift tranny w/ AWD makes it a dream car in stealth mode. Best thing I've ever driven. A True Luxury Rocket. Found a 2005 with 29k miles. Gotta go drive it. Get'em before they're gone. Best Lux Bargain Going. VW should try again with 2013. Sells well in Europe. Bring on the auto bahn.

Those who know it - appreciate it.
By russell on 07/14/09 18:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Beautiful exterior; drive for sport, drive for comfort, in the rain, sleet and snow it's a champ, enjoy the sound system, massaging seats and share the story with those many inquirers. Some quirky issues correctly identified by other reviews just cannot outweigh the value of buying this car with some gentle miles, and really enjoying it. It's one of the few unique vehicles that not pretentious, but is truly luxurious.

Phaeton vanishes from US market
By Christopher De Jonge on 05/07/06 08:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I enjoy my Phaeton. It has beautiful interior trim. The exterior is sleek and muscular. The handling is sub-optimal, however I am used to more sport drive handling. It is a gas-guzzler. Perhaps the most disconcerting thing is that 2006 will be the last year for new model Phaetons. Already the resale value has tanked. Further, I question whether parts might be hard to obtain.

Mercedes vs. Phaeton
By Marlene on 03/03/06 10:19 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My husband and I have owned Mercedes in the past. We test drove the Phaeton a month after leasing our Toureag. We found it to be far superior to the Mercedes in handling, comfort, room, GPS system easier to use and comparable in price. We were more comfortable with the sales personel at VW and service was much more accommodating. Love it, hope to never have to go back to a Mercedes

The People's Luxury Car
By Maxwell Stein on 02/18/06 12:19 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

While some would argue that VW is the maker of inexpensive economy cars, it has been gradually making its way upmarket. The Phaeton is the company's attempt to match Mercedes and BMW's flagship sedans directly. For the most part, the experiment works. The Phaeton can best be appreciated from the inside-out where the driver and passengers are coddled in top-quality materials and a pleasant environment. The styling is sublimely understated to the point where it might be considered the Passat's big brother. Still, it won't confuse anyone out there with an S-class or 7-series. Its performance is quietly competent but certainly no M-5 bahn-burner.

Best Car under $150,000
By GripperDon on 11/25/05 18:03 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I owned every luxury German car brand there is, plus some great Asian cars. This is the best bar none. The importer did a poor job of promoting the car and nobody know how good it is. VW has treaded the Phaeton a bit better in Europe, but their problems in the USA have caused it to be cancelled. They really hosed the owners, but this car is hard to belive. Its build quality is utterly fanstastic. It drives great, quiet and smooth with great handling, ride and acoustics. What a sound system.

Pleasant surprise
By De Jonge on 10/24/05 13:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I happened upon this vehicle by chance and am very happy for the outcome. I am very impressed by the engine muscle, interior comfort and subdued exterior design - not in to the 'prestige vehicle' badges. The car wants to go at speeds more compatible with its design. I have a hard time keeping it under 80 mph. Indeed, in one instance I was pressed to accelerate only briefly and quickly reached 120 mph. Its fuel economy is not good, with average city driving yielding about 16.5 - 17.0 mpg. I always look for excuses to drive this car - a wonderful feeling. I also look forward to my first road trip - should be fantastic!

Coco Grey Beauty
By Mr. Adams on 07/25/05 16:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great full sized luxury car I wish that the gas milage was better. This car has more standard features than the Mercedes S-Class and the BMW 7-Series. When it comes to comfort If I am not driving I am in the back seat where I can really stretch out my legs. I like owning a car that is unique and not seen very often. Since I have had my car I have only seen 3 Phaetons on the road and this makes the car special.

great car
By great on 07/24/05 17:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

There is only one problem with this car: Every time you turn the car on you have to go into "economy" and turn off rear air conditioning. Do the Germans always drive with backseat passengers? Overall nicer than an Audi A8L even when the Phaeton is stock.

Best Luxury Under 150K
By brzmkla on 06/28/05 15:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Phaeton Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

for about 1/3 less than it's cousin, Bentley Continental GT, the Phaeton delivers an unbeatable mix of luxury, safety, and comfort that is unmatched in its category. A hand-built quality to it's finish, 4 wheel drive, an ingenious indirect ventilation system, a decent gas mileage (about 18 mpg over the last year), make this car the best value in its class, beating hands down the S500, 745iL, and A8. Test drive it and you'll be sold as well.